Inexpensive

Pick Two.

+1 ^^^
Old 10-09-2017, 04:19 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Which of the specs listed above would you personally run?

Regarding your wheel specifications - that is almost a direct match to fitments on my spreadsheet(s), so thank you for verifying my data.
I have several sets of 18x10x12.5s and 18x10x13s wheels in the above specs that I've been running at the track for the last couple of years. Proven set ups. If anyone wants to run a 12.5 or 13 rears, they will need a 9.5 (optimally 10) fronts to maintain proper balance. Keep in mind that these sizes are NOT a simple direct bolt on and will require specific supporting parts and modifications to work. As such, your market will be very limited.

Last edited by powdrhound; 10-09-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 671 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey
Light
Strong
Inexpensive

Pick Two.
Originally Posted by mark.jorgensen
+1 ^^^
In our attempt to solve the market’s voids and product pain points, we’re confident in our ability to re-create our BMW trifecta of affordable, lightweight, strong wheels in the Porsche community.

I strongly urge Porsche enthusiasts here to pour over 10 years worth of APEX related dialogue on BMW forums like M3forum.net and Bimmerpost.com to get unbiased feedback from track-oriented enthusiasts.

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides

Old 10-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have several sets of 18x10x12.5s and 18x10x13s wheels in the above specs that I've been running at the track for the last couple of years. Proven set ups. If anyone wants to run a 12.5 or 13 rears, they will need a 9.5 (optimally 10) fronts to maintain proper balance. Keep in mind that these sizes are NOT a simple direct bolt on and will require specific supporting parts and modifications to work. As such, your market will be very limited.
This is great info - thank you for sharing. While they may not be available in our first few production runs, we absolutely do plan on catering to this desire for niche extreme fitments; similarly to what we've done with BMW in the past. Please stay tuned and let your needs be known as we're always incorporating enthusiast input into product development.

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 10-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you all for your survey feedback thus far. If you have not filled it out yet, please take a moment to let us know what your wheel preferences are. Your invaluable feedback will be directly shaping the details of our Porsche program.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:47 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

whatever pwdrhound tells you is exactly what you want to follow cater to the track day enthusiast.

Im currently working on fitting 18x10x13 and it isn't for the faint of heart and/or wallet.

clearing 380mm brakes and knurled bead seats are going to be what sells you a lot of wheels. CCW is the low cost alternative to BBS/Finspeed for those that need to clear 380 brakes, but CCW doesn't have the option for bead knurling so for someone that really track focused, that alone eliminates CCW from being a real choice...
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 351 Posts

IMHO, I would cater the wheels to strength over need to clear 380mm... sucks when you twist a wheel in the spoke/spoke-barrel area...
I think the wheels are going to do very well in the Porsche market if their past reliability/service is matched at the same/near price point as your other/BMW offerings... yes $1500/wheel Forgeline's/BBS are wheel ****, but are the 1%'er market...OZ aren't strong enough IMHO/experience and limited to stock sizes
Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

strength is something that goes without saying for a track wheel, or at least it should... it's priority 1. if the wheel isn't strong who cares what other features it has, it's garbage
Old 10-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T10Chris
whatever pwdrhound tells you is exactly what you want to follow cater to the track day enthusiast.

Im currently working on fitting 18x10x13 and it isn't for the faint of heart and/or wallet.

clearing 380mm brakes and knurled bead seats are going to be what sells you a lot of wheels. CCW is the low cost alternative to BBS/Finspeed for those that need to clear 380 brakes, but CCW doesn't have the option for bead knurling so for someone that really track focused, that alone eliminates CCW from being a real choice...
Originally Posted by 993GT
IMHO, I would cater the wheels to strength over need to clear 380mm... sucks when you twist a wheel in the spoke/spoke-barrel area...
I think the wheels are going to do very well in the Porsche market if their past reliability/service is matched at the same/near price point as your other/BMW offerings... yes $1500/wheel Forgeline's/BBS are wheel ****, but are the 1%'er market...OZ aren't strong enough IMHO/experience and limited to stock sizes
Originally Posted by T10Chris
strength is something that goes without saying for a track wheel, or at least it should... it's priority 1. if the wheel isn't strong who cares what other features it has, it's garbage
Thank you guys for your input. An extremely wide niche fitment can/will likely be produced in the future, but not in our immediate first few production runs. Widebody fitments up to 12" will surely be available, but 12.5" up to 13" will be included in future runs provided there's a collective community need for them.

I am in the midst of compiling all aftermarket/OEM BBK templates (Brembo, StopTech, AP, etc..) and testing them against our projected wheel designs. Big BBK clearance and a knurled bead are forefront on our minds and being researched as we speak.

I entirely agree with your sentiment regarding wheel strength. While the costs of true testing, modifying design, and retesting adds up, we see it as an absolute necessity.

After multiple computer revisions and FEA, we run real world impact, load, and crush tests for every unique wheel spec. Even if the offset change is only 1mm different on a new size, we still do the tests. We then send wheels to the Japanese government testing organization, VIA, who complete real world crush tests again and provide 3rd party validation that corners aren’t being cut and their integrity isn't compromised anywhere.

This thorough testing gives us the confidence that we’re producing quality product that’s worthy of being driven at the limits on track. The last 10 years of customers beating on our wheels is proof that we’ve accomplished just that. All APEX wheels meet and exceed the JWL and VIA standards.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
bugeyemilo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when do you expect your wheels to come on the market?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bugeyemilo
when do you expect your wheels to come on the market?
I expect to have our pre-order set up and initial group buy live by early Q1 2018. Wheels will likely be in enthusiast's hands in late Q1 2018; ideally before the start of the track season.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I expect to have our pre-order set up and initial group buy live by early Q1 2018. Wheels will likely be in enthusiast's hands in late Q1 2018; ideally before the start of the track season.
What is the county of manufacture of these wheels??
Old 10-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
What is the county of manufacture of these wheels??
Thanks for asking as these are questions that all enthusiasts should be asking before making an educated wheel purchase. In short, China.

They’ve been manufactured at the same facility for over 10 years now - a facility that is also responsible for manufacturing wheels for OEM applications and other well known, reputable brands. What’s kept our relationship strong over the years has been their willingness to further increase their QA standards at our request, and to support our extensive crush testing despite our low production volumes. Post #25 (seen above) can speak to our quality control process and certifications.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for asking as these are questions that all enthusiasts should be asking before making an educated wheel purchase. In short, China.

They’ve been manufactured at the same facility for over 10 years now - a facility that is also responsible for manufacturing wheels for OEM applications and other well known, reputable brands. What’s kept our relationship strong over the years has been their willingness to further increase their QA standards at our request, and to support our extensive crush testing despite our low production volumes. Post #25 (seen above) can speak to our quality control process and certifications.
Any data from these tests available, or video clip showing the testing to demonstrate strength, or something along those lines to prove the strength?

I am not doubting the claims/testing method at all, but there was recently another manufacturer selling reasonably priced "track ready" wheels that had multiple failures and caused lot of damage to cars that were left for the owner to deal with and the maker didn't warranty the wheels and a ton of other issues came from it. These cars aren't cheap to repair if something goes wrong so it's hard to justify not going with a proven wheel solution when pushing the limit. The cost of a known track ready wheel is much less than the cost of repair if there is a failure.

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel