Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should a good detail/ceramic coating cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
Interesting.

Can someone define what exactly paint correction is?
polishing all the marring/swirls/scratches out of the paint (not deep scratches).

But basically these new coatings are basically putting a new layer of clear coat on your car, so any imperfections underneath will remain if they aren't taken out.

This can be done usually with polishing (pad and polish) or sometimes needs wetsanding, etc.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Interesting.

Can someone define what exactly paint correction is?
Wise question...it is ELIMINATION of imperfections in the clear coat.

This can vary based on degree of imperfection...light marring to heavy and deep scratches. You are safely and effectively removing these blemishes to get to a healthy clear coat layer that is void of the imperfections. Panels are measured with a paint meter, before/after, correction and panels are further checked with alcohol to strip any oils from the polishing. This procedure can take many hours, sometimes days, depending on the condition of vehicle.

There's also paint "enhancement" where a product is being used to "fill" those imperfections, giving the illusion of paint correction, but in my book, that's not really paint correction and shouldn't be confused.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this service, as long as you're aware and are sold it with that understanding. Actually, there are fantastic products such as CarPro Essence that are a game changer. They fill the imperfections, but unlike other products, Essence does not wash off...results last months or even years.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:37 AM
ylee911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area Recommendation on ppl and ceramic coating

I had mine done at OCDetailing in Fremont. Yes you pay for the Bay Area premium but I think they are one of the best if not the best in the Bay Area for ppf and ceramic coating. Here's a video link from OCDetailing just posted today.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 AM
ylee911
Intermediate

[QUOTE=ylee911;14484206]I had mine done at OCDetailing in Fremont. Yes you pay for the Bay Area premium but I think they are one of the best if not the best in the Bay Area for ppf and ceramic coating. Here's a video link from OCDetailing just posted today.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

they are who ill probably have redo my clear bra and do my turbo when i finally get around to it
Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone on here have experience with Premier Protective in Fremont?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:51 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Nzo
Anyone on here have experience with Premier Protective in Fremont?
It was several years ago, but they did a beautiful job applying a clear bra to a BMW I owned despite it being a pretty pedestrian job/car compared the what else they had in the shop at the time.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's a visual of the different stages of paint defects, corrected paint(notice the step down to reflect the leveling of clear coat defects, protection with just a coating(in this case, Modesta), protection with paint protection film and finally, corrected paint with PPF and Modesta together.

This render is to scale with exception of the paint protection film. I could not make a practical rendering with PPF to scale as PPF is about 6-8 times thicker than typical modern paint.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 PM
ylee911
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by jayzbird
It was several years ago, but they did a beautiful job applying a clear bra to a BMW I owned despite it being a pretty pedestrian job/car compared the what else they had in the shop at the time.
I think Joe at OCD doesn't discriminate cars. In fact the dirtier the better because he likes the challenges.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices have increased dramatically in the last few years. The product is absolutely amazing especially on black cars. I paid $750 three years ago but now prices are more like $1300-$1500 depending on the condition of your car. I highly recommend it.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I have a black one. I love it but would like to have some paint correction done to really make the paint look deep!

Now, I just need to find a shop who can do stellar paint correction and ceramic coating - and then clear bra, ha.

I figure it's something good to do in the fall when the car is about to go to sleep for the winter.

Thanks,
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 AM
ylee911
Intermediate

Yep, I have a black one. I love it but would like to have some paint correction done to really make the paint look deep!

Now, I just need to find a shop who can do stellar paint correction and ceramic coating - and then clear bra, ha.

I figure it's something good to do in the fall when the car is about to go to sleep for the winter.

Thanks,
I second that. It all starts from paint correction. everything else applied on top depends on how good the paint correction is. Some good detailers, when looked from side by side, they do better job than the factory. Good luck finding the guy in your area. I found mine in the bay area.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another odd question - If these cars ever become true collector cars, how would a ceramic coating be viewed? It messes with the thickness of the paint and wouldn't be viewed as original, right?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Another odd question - If these cars ever become true collector cars, how would a ceramic coating be viewed? It messes with the thickness of the paint and wouldn't be viewed as original, right?
quite the contrary...nano helps protect and enhance the paint, therefore, preserve the vehicle. There are nano products out there that will harm paint by making it yellow or being difficult to remove once you want it off. In extreme cases, If not prepped or applied properly, repairing might also mean repainting the vehicle.

So, one must research the product, but more importantly, research the installer.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Moe nailed it.

this thread made me drop off my wifes MDX to get ceramic pro'd yesterday

Quick Reply: What should a good detail/ceramic coating cost?