Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Inspecting An Oil Filter - Outside VS Cutting Open?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question On Inspecting An Oil Filter - Outside VS Cutting Open?

Hey all,

Just changed the oil on my 996TT and had a question about inspecting the filter. I know a lot of people cut these open and stretch them out but I'm trying to understand why with the direction of the oil flow into the pleats? If the oil comes up into the housing and then through the pleats to be filtered and the clean oil travels on to the engine through the center of the filter why cut it open? My logic is saying that looking at the outside of the filter is where I should be looking, but I'm sure my logic could be incorrect but would like to learn why. Thanks for any clarification.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've always just inspected inside the pleats while turning it over. just did it the other day. not a flake to be found
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by cfiiman
I know a lot of people cut these open and stretch them out but I'm trying to understand why...
I cut mine to flatten it out, making it easier to inspect the outside surface.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:03 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Unless you stretch out the pleats, you won't be able to easily spot small metal particles that might be buried in the creases. It takes a just few seconds with a utility knife to slice the top and the bottom of the pleats off the holder, one slice down any pleat, and it stretches out to like three feet...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Unless you stretch out the pleats, you won't be able to easily spot small metal particles that might be buried in the creases. It takes a just few seconds with a utility knife to slice the top and the bottom of the pleats off the holder, one slice down any pleat, and it stretches out to like three feet...
Ah, I see, that makes complete sense. So the cutting and stretching is still to see the "outside" just easier. For some reason I had it in my head that people were cutting and stretching to look at the inside which is why I was confused. Thanks for clearing it up

Quick Reply: Question On Inspecting An Oil Filter - Outside VS Cutting Open?