Help!!!! Warranty declined

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:45 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! Warranty declined

Hi,
I have not posted since I sold my 993. I just bought a 01 turbo about 4 months ago. (1,800 miles). My car started acting up about week ago (5,500 miles). Third gear was hard to find when shifting at high rpms. It was shifting fine at low rpms. Once in third, it stayed fined. Took it to the dealership last week and found out my gear synchronizer is out and needs replacing. ($4,000) total job. Currently, Porsche declined the claim! They said the transmission was abused. Spoke with the Porsche rep yesterday and he is looking into it. (very nice guy!) Any help would be great!!!!! I never raced the car, and bought from a 63 year heart doctor that would not go over 70mph on the test drive.
Chasedrive.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Did PCNA decline the warranty, or did the dealer advise you that it would not be covered due to abuse?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Dealer first

Dealer told me they look at a book with pictures of parts that tell them the trans was abused. THey told me the pic of my parts matched the book perfectly! The porsche rep is a very nice guy, and reqested pics to look at himself.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:43 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't they check engine revs etc with PT2?
Old 11-25-2003, 01:39 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my entire tranny replaced for the same exact problem ,same milage etc. under warrenty. Perhaps your dealer should try exerting a little more influence.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:14 PM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Just got back from dealer

The third gear synchronising ring has worn away, and the synchronising cone of the coupling shows tarnished colours. In the book, this states abuse. Spoke with some mechincs in our shop at work (Construction equipment not porsche experts), they stated that it cannot be abuse but may a issue with the fork or the molybdenum layer? Every other gear is perfect and snychronising rings! How could I just abuse third gear. That is the easiest one to shift too. All time in the world for a smooth shift! You would think if you are abusing your gears, first and second would be the ones!
Thanks,
Chasedrive
any advise is great.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:23 PM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Codered help

Do you have any documnetation on this repair that could help me. Did say anthing about abuse?
Thanks,
Frank
Old 11-25-2003, 07:29 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not a 996 owner, but if I was told that my warranty was declined, I would cause HELL. Go back to the dealer, and bitch until you get what you want.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

try serveral different dealers. i check'd EVERY single dealer in SF bay area before i decide which one i liked.

also, ask how can one abuse 3rd gear syncro? i don't think PO did power shifting on streets... and at such low mileage, i can't imagine what kind of abuse they are talking about.

now if it's first or second gear, one can argue that PO drag raced, but 3rd gear syncro on a TT??? i think the dealer is full of it.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default The porsche rep is still trying to help!

I made that point to my dealership, 1st and 2cd are perfect shape! If I abuse the car with radical shifting, third would be the last gear damage. He kind of agreeded, but said all of the torgue is in that third gear? Did not make much sense. The service manager is working with the porsche rep now. He is trying everything he can do to make this work out. He did like the fact I have owned over 6 porsches, and that I finally made it to the big time with a twin turbo!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:23 PM
ypshan
Instructor

It makes no sense. The torque is there independently from the gearing. Also if Porsche did not design the tranny to sustain the torque at any gear, it's their problem and fault, not yours.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 996 trannys are known to be fragile. The engine is bullet proof.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:39 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

If the car was tracked, could you see that problem on hard or missed 4-3 downshifts? It might be related to attempts to heel-toe unsuccessfully, or a misguided attempt to downshift without the clutch. This would be a real question that could be answered by "reading" the DME. If there was evidence of type 2 over-revs, one could well suspect the original owner. Alternatively, if this car damage could only be caused by upshifting, was there evidence of that? It may not take many poor shifts to damage the box.Was the car purchased thru this dealer? What do you know about the car's early history? If the DME doesn't suggest downshift abuse, I'd stand very firm on warranty coverage. AS
Old 11-26-2003, 07:53 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Thanks!

That makes sense, I bought the car with only 1700 miles on it. The car shifted perfect. The guy was around 60 years old without any kids, I had to talk him into going over 70 mph on the hi-way on the test drive. He told me that he has bought every porsche turbo new that was made. This was the first one he sold without a replacement. I have still hope that porsche stands behind the product and does the correct thing. All of the research that I have done so far, suggest that there in no way that they can state the car has been abused 100%. It is a fine line, and with only 5500 miles and the fact I have owned over 6 porsches in my life without any history of abusing cars under warranty may help........... If I tracked the car or raced it, I would have no problem with paying for it, but this is a weekend porcshe for me. I drive it like a porsche!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:54 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Did not buy through a dealership.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Warranty declined