Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux warning lights - oil pressure, other?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Aux warning lights - oil pressure, other?

I have a semi obstructed view of the already-small gauges.

When I ran my 993 on track, my next 'to-do' was a large visible low OP warning light. These are an easy add-on in lieu of the analog clock in an early gen dash.

Thinking of pre-emptively doing the same with the GT3 - oil pressure? high water temp? High oil temp?

Wondering if anyone has an elegant solution to this, I'll gladly spend a bit more to do it right and not chop up the interior. I had a radio delete plate in the 993 for example, that would have been a perfect base to install gauges/warning lights.

Thanks in advance for any tips/pics for a 996-gen install. I am not looking for accuracy so much as "oh-s**t" lights in case critical systems fail when I'm pre-occupied with droving.

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

the factory sending unit for the oil pressure is a wonky piece anyhow...you're probably going to get false negatives from it if you install a dummy light.

Given how the dry sump / oil pump works in these cars if you loose pressure you're already ****ed anyhow. Not sure I'd really worry about it to be honest.

I think warnings pop up with beeps and messages in the main display anyhow when any of this needs your attention. If you can read the center LED section of the tach you'll be able to see any of the warnings.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I did have the oil pressure light come on my car in hot temperatures when I finished a track session and was parking the car. I had the pressure verified and no issue. I changed to oil weight to 5w 50 and no light anymore.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:01 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Consider AiM....

On my 993, I had a AiM MXL-2 system, not cheap, nor is a new motor. My guy Lance Aspesi (Van Nuys) added sensors for oil pressure, oil temperature, and clearly water temperature would be an option for the 6GT3 cars. If, heaven forbid, you get a low oil pressure reading, high water temp reading, etc., the dash turns red and begins to flash. Theoretically you could kill the motor in a timely fashion and perhaps save it.

You also get a shift light and lots of other features such as lap time last lap, predictive lap times. If I am dumb enough to take my 6GT3 to the track, I will budget for another AiM MXL-2, awesome hardware. And because the 2004 cars are considerably more modern electronics wise than the 993 cars, some of the data will be available your car's BUS system, CAN BUS, CAM BUS...whatever, you have one.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default WTB 6GT3 Rear Calipers...

For the iron rotors. Any idea where to source these, and what they may cost? Are these calipers unique to the 6GT3 cars?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin,
The fronts are the same as the Cayenne. I used ATE rotors, heavy but cheap, got a set for ~$150 Cdn once. I don't think there are any subs for the rears.

Jim
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

For oil pressure you could look at an automatic ignition kill switch when low oil pressure is measured.

Researching one for
a 912 that my buddy just seized after an oil leak and he kept driving.

heres a pic of the damage.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
If I am dumb enough to take my 6GT3 to the track, I will budget for another AiM MXL-2, awesome hardware.

If not to the track, then where???

Thanks for the AIM recommendation.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
For the iron rotors. Any idea where to source these, and what they may cost? Are these calipers unique to the 6GT3 cars?

Originally Posted by JGB
Martin,
The fronts are the same as the Cayenne. I used ATE rotors, heavy but cheap, got a set for ~$150 Cdn once. I don't think there are any subs for the rears.

Jim
ATE are no longer available. But yes, Cayenne 350mm is what you want in front. You can get Sebro slotted, they are cheap. Just no set screw so they 'rotate' on the hub. No big deal.

Reach out to Jason at Paragon, great prices shipped.

Originally Posted by Gadsby
For oil pressure you could look at an automatic ignition kill switch when low oil pressure is measured.
Sorry to hear about the 912 damage. A kill switch in a high speed turn, though, would take on a very literal meaning!

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

He blew it on the freeway, oil tube seal was pinched. In drysump motors however this should never be the case. If you have a traditional sump a baffle setup to support your activities should be installed to insure the pickup is always submerged. I installed for a friends cayman a 1" extra deep sump, baffles, and extended pickup and never had any oiling issues in 3 years of fast track duty in the Midwest. We do a lot of porsche wrenching over here.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My car with 100k miles, when the alternator quit working there was no light. As the battery voltage dropped, the "ABS Failure" light and audible alarm was my first indication that anything was wrong. NOT A GOOD SITUATION. However, with lights and A/C off, I was able to drive 15 minutes. I got out of the mountains and closer to the nearest town before the alternator light came on and a few minutes later the car quit running.

And yes the Oil Failure alarm comes on every few thousand miles or more. The unit was replaced at 40k miles and never worked reliably.

Quick Reply: Aux warning lights - oil pressure, other?