Sponsored by:

Mesh grills

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mesh grills

Anyone have any experience with the Motorsport mesh grill inserts for the GT3 front bumper?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I'll be attempting an install this weekend.

Karl
Old 11-21-2003, 01:20 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Please post Pics guys..
Old 11-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Karl, do they go in from behind the bumper cover? Any painting involved? Is the mesh steel, aluminum? Painted, powder-coated? Did these come from Carnewal?

Thanks, and good luck with the installation.

P.S. Did you guys know that the name is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable and sounds a lot like Carnwall?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:21 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience...

Mesh inserts dirupt airflow.
I had cargraphic mesh inserts on my old C2.
As soon as I put them on, the water temperature was ALWAYS aboye the dead centre mark.

Now my C2 did not have the 3rd centre rad. But the change in the front bumper in 2002 to a more scooped style, I think was done b/c Porsche realized it had problems with air volume on the C2 and C4, and that's WITHOUT mesh inserts.

The new scooped style sucks in more air for a reason.

Just my thoughts.
It may be different though with the GT3 since it has the 3rd rad, I'd be interested if you notice any difference in water temp.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

I noticed the first time I washed my car that some kind of screen might be needed in front of the radiators. We have some pretty big grasshoppers, etc here in the summer and after a 8 hour drive to Road America I doubt I'd even be able to SEE the radiators! Will be interested in people's response to this...
Old 11-22-2003, 12:19 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Marco Polo
Karl, do they go in from behind the bumper cover? Any painting involved? Is the mesh steel, aluminum? Painted, powder-coated? Did these come from Carnewal?
Mark,

Yes, you must remove the bumper cover to install them. The screens are a black metal mesh with some type of plastic or epoxy edge around them. I'll take some pics and do a quick DIY over the weekend.

Karl
Old 11-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

How did it go, Karl?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean like these??? These are prototypes from Cargraphic...

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Marco Polo
How did it go, Karl?
Not too well. I got the bumper cover off, no problem. There is a black plastic piece that is clipped in the inside of the air inlets in the bumper cover that you have to remove. That as also no problem.

There are slots in the frame of the bumper cover around each air inlet hole. There are tabs on the frame the runs around the outside of the screen that fit into these slots. The problem I ran into is that the screen was not perfectly square, so I had a heck of a time trying to get all 8 tabs into the slots (4 on bottom and 4 on top). I wanted to get it to dry fit before applying some quick dry epoxy to hold it the screen in there.

I ran out of time before I could get the center screen to fit, so I had to put the car back together again. I'll give it another shot this weekend. It's not hard, just time consuming. Also be careful, because it's really easy to break off the tabs on the screen frames (don't ask).

Karl
Old 11-26-2003, 11:39 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there are slots specifically designed for this screens on the bumper? Interesting - that's good to know. I have some of the Cargraphic ones for the prior model GT3 - I never put them on my old car so I was going to try them on this one. I doubt they will fit though - the inlets are a little different, and the Cargraphics ones also look pretty restrictive. I'd guess that the Porsche Motorsports ones aren't as bad... Would love to see pictures when you get it Karl - good luck
Old 12-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I got the screens installed today. Not too bad. I ended up using small, 4" black tie wraps to hold the screens in place. The tabs would not stay in without something to hold them and I didn't want to use a permanent adhesive. Took about 2 hours start to finish, including taking some pictures. I'll put together a DIY as soon as I can. Didn't get a great picture of the screens on the car, I'll try again tomorrow and post something tomorrow night.

Karl
Old 12-01-2003, 06:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Great job Karl...Looking forward to the DIY...
Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Just out of curiosity, where exactly does the air from the front go? Engine, brakes, transmission, vents???
Old 12-01-2003, 08:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by sjsharks
Just out of curiosity, where exactly does the air from the front go? Engine, brakes, transmission, vents???
The radiators to cool the wa wa...

Quick Reply: Mesh grills