Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 gt3 exhaust conversion update post (with pics and impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

That explains some of what you see in your car. The tune has consideration for such an exhaust setup and also undoes what done to GT3's when they came into the country to get through emissions. It seriously adds to the car, which in my case was a stronger curve with no loss and a 22 hp gain in addition to the exhaust. I did all my changes in one day with dyno pulls in between. Just the exhaust alone, did similar to yours.

I won't be there unfortunately. I am still recovering from shoulder surgery and waiting for new wheels that will fit over the new brakes I put on. I have'nt been in a car since last october because of health which kills me, but working to get back (I will, I am just impatient!!). At this point, the WGI club race looks like a stretch goal.

But interested to see your surprise........
Old 04-27-2017, 01:07 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Chuck, is there a tow hook hole hidden underneath that license plate?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, there is.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:15 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Congrats on making a mod that you are very happy with.

Please remind us why you used a 997 Cup? rear bumper cover instead of a 997 GT3 (street) bumper cover.
Or is it a 996 Cup B/C?
Yes, I'm ignorant.
I didn't use a 997 cup bumper. I used the 996 cup bumper because it has the center exit cut out, but otherwise has the same dimensions and attachment points as the regular, dual exit 996 bumper (which I'm pretty sure is the same as the c2 bumper).
Old 04-27-2017, 03:16 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
That explains some of what you see in your car. The tune has consideration for such an exhaust setup and also undoes what done to GT3's when they came into the country to get through emissions. It seriously adds to the car, which in my case was a stronger curve with no loss and a 22 hp gain in addition to the exhaust. I did all my changes in one day with dyno pulls in between. Just the exhaust alone, did similar to yours.

I won't be there unfortunately. I am still recovering from shoulder surgery and waiting for new wheels that will fit over the new brakes I put on. I have'nt been in a car since last october because of health which kills me, but working to get back (I will, I am just impatient!!). At this point, the WGI club race looks like a stretch goal.

But interested to see your surprise........
Great...the slippery slope continues. Guess I'll be getting a tune soon. Will probably do the tune after I do the ipd plenum and 997 gt3 tb. That will just about complete all the power mods I want to do. Drove it to work today just for kicks. Fun, fun, car!
Old 05-31-2017, 02:46 AM
dual cams
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever thought of running 997 GT3 RS plenum?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Nice work. My old GT3 had the full FVD cup center exit, tune, IPD and 997 TB with 4.0 R&P and it pulled like a freight train. Mid range for days. The FVD exhaust became horribly loud and very raspy after about 3,000kms of hard use which disappointed me but I loved the look. If/when I get another 996 it will get a center exit, I'm not afraid to say for aesthetics alone!
Old 05-31-2017, 11:43 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

This post keeps popping up and killing me, have the bumper here waiting for my 991RS center muffler to arrive after being lost in the mail. Going to make some long tube headers that should help the power band and then get custom tuned, hoping to have completed by the end of summer.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onelove
This post keeps popping up and killing me, have the bumper here waiting for my 991RS center muffler to arrive after being lost in the mail. Going to make some long tube headers that should help the power band and then get custom tuned, hoping to have completed by the end of summer.
Isn't your car the ex-sharky 3.9, in which case it already had a center exit muffler?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:14 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Isn't your car the ex-sharky 3.9, in which case it already had a center exit muffler?
I believe that one is in the PNW or Canada.. Definitely NOT onelove's car.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:53 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

No, although I sure wish it was 3.9 (or 4.0).... one day.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dual cams
Ever thought of running 997 GT3 RS plenum?
Not really...I know a couple folks that have done the ipd plenum + 997 tb and were happy with the results. That will probably be enough for me!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work. My old GT3 had the full FVD cup center exit, tune, IPD and 997 TB with 4.0 R&P and it pulled like a freight train. Mid range for days. The FVD exhaust became horribly loud and very raspy after about 3,000kms of hard use which disappointed me but I loved the look. If/when I get another 996 it will get a center exit, I'm not afraid to say for aesthetics alone!
I recently installed the full FVD/Brombacher exhaust on my car (headers+straight through side mufflers+X-pipe w/ cats+dual side exit pipes), and have only driven the car a couple times since then, so no long term experience. My understanding is that the Brombacher mufflers are a straight through design, i.e., no packing material to shift around or get blown out. If so, I'm curious as to what could cause the sound to change over time. So far I love the sound, although I haven't had a chance to dyno the car yet.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
I recently installed the full FVD/Brombacher exhaust on my car (headers+straight through side mufflers+X-pipe w/ cats+dual side exit pipes), and have only driven the car a couple times since then, so no long term experience. My understanding is that the Brombacher mufflers are a straight through design, i.e., no packing material to shift around or get blown out. If so, I'm curious as to what could cause the sound to change over time. So far I love the sound, although I haven't had a chance to dyno the car yet.
Interesting. Perhaps the center exit muffler is a little different because there was a distinct phase where every time I would drive the car the rear end would be coated in strands of fiber glass. I even watched the car on the dyno once and could see it blowing out of the tail pipes! After that period and one particular track day, the fiber glass stopped and the sound became a lot less crisp and more farty/raspy. And a lot louder, not that it was ever quiet to begin with. I was at an event last November on track with 996, 997 and 991 Cup cars and was told my car sounded the loudest. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded awesome at full tilt and I used to get a lot of compliments but there was a period in the rev range where at part throttle around town it just sounded horrible and disorganized. I emailed FVD about it and they said there was no warranty on race parts so I just accepted it and focused my attention elsewhere.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Perhaps the center exit muffler is a little different because there was a distinct phase where every time I would drive the car the rear end would be coated in strands of fiber glass. I even watched the car on the dyno once and could see it blowing out of the tail pipes! After that period and one particular track day, the fiber glass stopped and the sound became a lot less crisp and more farty/raspy. And a lot louder, not that it was ever quiet to begin with. I was at an event last November on track with 996, 997 and 991 Cup cars and was told my car sounded the loudest. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded awesome at full tilt and I used to get a lot of compliments but there was a period in the rev range where at part throttle around town it just sounded horrible and disorganized. I emailed FVD about it and they said there was no warranty on race parts so I just accepted it and focused my attention elsewhere.
Thanks for the feedback. I've always heard that glass packed exhausts are a bad idea for cars that see lots of track time - for exactly the behavior you described. Rhonda stated that the mufflers in the FVD system I bought ( https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9962026...0-mm-tips.html ) are internally baffled, but contain no packing material. Hopefully, the sound will stay fairly consistent, because I like the way it sounds now. It's fairly tame at modest engine speeds, but takes on a very aggressive character above 4500 RPM or so. I love it so far and hope to try it out on track soon.

Quick Reply: 997 gt3 exhaust conversion update post (with pics and impressions)