Sponsored by:

Full cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Full cage

What is the best option for a full cage in 996gt3?

Car is US spec so I don't think CS with front section will work?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

have autometric or robit weld on in.
the club sport cage is mediocre
i had a cup cage duplicsated and welded in my 996gt3, which i flew over a fence on track, car done, but i didnt have a bruise.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
have autometric or robit weld on in.
the club sport cage is mediocre
i had a cup cage duplicsated and welded in my 996gt3, which i flew over a fence on track, car done, but i didnt have a bruise.
Thanks Mooty,

I'll look into duplicate cup cage. Will be hard to keep doors and other stuff stock?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Thanks Mooty,

I'll look into duplicate cup cage. Will be hard to keep doors and other stuff stock?
I would pick up a set of cup doors if you're doing a weld in cage. That's the best option.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:40 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Thanks Mooty,

i had cup doors, it's never street driven.
but a good fabricator can keep door stock with custom cage. i have seen it done.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I have one of these in my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/787309-good-option-for-a-full-rollcage.html
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM
triplezero
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your best bet is to have one custom made from a good fabricator. The 996 Cup cage is OK, but there's a lot to be gained by getting a little clever with notching parts of the car.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Cutting the dash, no carpet ? How soon do you need it done ? We've got a CNC aided tubing bender and can build something "cup-like", it'll likely be quite a bit more than the Stable option but tailored for you.

Not a GT3 or road race car but just some of the fun fabrication we've done in the past.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

....guess this depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to retain of street car in the process.

The bolt-in options like Safety devices and the factory clubsport cage will allow you to keep the full interior with minor modification while with adding front hoop protection and OK (not great) side protection. Also minimal effort in disassembly to the interior to get them installed. Bolt together solutions are a compromise but still better than no front cage at all. I almost bought a car with a safety devices cage in it but ultimately passed for other reasons.

Full built custom cage like a cup car cage is going to require you to fully gut the interior of the car for installation and will be much more challenging to put alot of that interior back. In addition most cage builders are at a minimum going to have you pull the front and rear glass for the build and some will ask you to pull the roof skin from the car too. It's an involved process to do it right but it's the ultimate in safety. If you go this route it's in your best bet to build NASCAR style door bars that extend away from the driver and into the door which means gutting the doors and or cup doors...which means no more power windows either and in some solutions no windows at all.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
....guess this depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to retain of street car in the process.

The bolt-in options like Safety devices and the factory clubsport cage will allow you to keep the full interior with minor modification while with adding front hoop protection and OK (not great) side protection. Also minimal effort in disassembly to the interior to get them installed. Bolt together solutions are a compromise but still better than no front cage at all. I almost bought a car with a safety devices cage in it but ultimately passed for other reasons.

Full built custom cage like a cup car cage is going to require you to fully gut the interior of the car for installation and will be much more challenging to put alot of that interior back. In addition most cage builders are at a minimum going to have you pull the front and rear glass for the build and some will ask you to pull the roof skin from the car too. It's an involved process to do it right but it's the ultimate in safety. If you go this route it's in your best bet to build NASCAR style door bars that extend away from the driver and into the door which means gutting the doors and or cup doors...which means no more power windows either and in some solutions no windows at all.
Thanks for all the advice,

I'll try to keep the interior in place. Will likely go for a custom made solution that copies the 997 clubsport. The double armed front section looks pretty rigid. Cutting some holes in the carpet is not the end of the world, but removing everything from the doors and headliner is a different thing.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if you want to keep your carpet i have a set that has been cut for rear bars and also a floor section. would let it go cheap
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

It is usually better to buy a cup car or at least a race car than to go to all of the trouble to cage a street car.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

correct, but i will add that you MUST PULL GLASS AND ROOF SKIN OFF. if the builder doesn't insist on that, then his standard is pretty low. there are very very very few good cage builder around.

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
It is usually better to buy a cup car or at least a race car than to go to all of the trouble to cage a street car.
yes, cup car
Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Some great advice here.

Thanks guys for all advice. I've told myself I will buy cup car when I do wheel to wheel racing.

Will try to figure out solution to fit a front section without to much digging into panels. Car is on its way to Europe for the summer so won't be a problem to run lexan windows and cup doors while touring European tracks. Gets more complicating once car returns to USA.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 AM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a safety devices cage in my 996gt3. Definitely had plenty of clearance relative to the interior with no cutting including the dashboard. Made getting in and out of a fixed race seat with a halo quite difficult. Decided to upgrade to a clubsport as egress was demonstrably easier when tested out in another GT3 with similar set up. Feel "better" now. But know that i will eventually go to a weld-in with NASCAR style safety.

Quick Reply: Full cage