Sponsored by:

GT3 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003 | 09:03 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 Test Drive

Marco Polo gave me an opportunity to drive his GT3 this week. I thought I’d just post my experience as I have been very curious about the car since learning of its availability here in the U.S. and thought that other non owners might be similarly interested. The car has a few modifications that are worth mentioning. The stock seats have been replaced by leather covered GT3 seats and the stock shifter has been replaced with a B&M unit toped by a TechArt shift ****. While I have very little experience with street 996s, I have a lot of experience with 993s both on the street and on the track and have owned and raced a 996 GT3-Cup in PCA club racing and Speed World Challenge.

I have read most of the same magazines that you have where reviews of the GT3 are plentiful. I expected the ride to be on the harsh side of firm, the cabin to be noticeably nosier than a stock 996 and the inputs (steering, braking, throttle and clutch) to be demanding.

My drive was on the streets of Atlanta, so I drove the car like I would normally drive a Porsche on the street. Especially one that I was getting acclimated to for the first time. O.K., so I did stand on the throttle and the brakes a few times when no one was around. I found the ride quality firm but compliant. It never “crashed” over any bumps or pavement irregularities nor was it harsh or overly springy. Over speed bumps taken at reasonable speeds the car felt like a stock 911 in that there was no bottoming or grounding despite it relatively low ride height. In short, the car felt like everything you would want a modern 911 to fell like with some very serious acceleration.

The car did exhibit some interesting characteristics. I can tell that it would take some time to develop the fine motor skills to operate the throttle perfectly. The car, while in a corner, is very sensitive to throttle position. Before anyone makes any assumptions, I never felt like the car was unbalanced, but you could definitely feel the nose tuck in when lifting off the throttle and you could feel the turn radius increase with additional throttle. Any abrupt changes in throttle position, even in a straight line would induce a noticeable change in the balance of the car. On the one hand, you would expect this in this type of car. On the other hand, non racers or non DE participants might find this sensation annoying.

The clutch was easy to operate with no learning curve involved. After the fist clutch engagement, I felt right at home. My next statement is personal, but I really didn’t enjoy the B&M shifter. I drove the car for about 40 minutes. I was getting used to the B&M at the end, but it was extremely notchy and required, in my opinion, way to much thought for regular shifting. A caveat to my last statement is that I like Porsches stock shifters. Less effort, a longer throw and a more confident engagement are what I am used to and like.

As with all modern 911s, the brakes were incredible. They were rock solid as if pushing on a brick and caused the car to slow immediately and without any drama. The huge yellow calipers look as great as they perform. I would say that the brakes perform exactly as you would expect on a car like this, very predictably time after time.

The engine was, of course, the most amazing part of the car. It sounds very similar to the GT3-Cup at full throttle. It is obviously quieter than the race car but has the same sound and tone. It is very easy to drive the car around town and if you don’t stand on the throttle you would think you were in a stock 996. The acceleration is amazing and must be experienced to be believed.

In summary, the car feels very much like a GT3-Cup that has a nice interior, a very streetable suspension and all the power of the race car with all the sound appropriate for the street. Thanks Porsche for exporting such a machine to America and thanks, Marco for a very fun drive. What are you doing next week?

Hank
Old 11-13-2003 | 09:17 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

thanks for the analysis Hank.

it really is a masterful triumph for Porsche.

the gt2/3 shift is so short and sweet, i would not use a short shift either. these cars are near perfect stock.
Old 11-13-2003 | 10:26 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

We'll try to do some more "test driving" soon.

BTW: The B&M with the TechArt **** is sort of a double whammy. The TA **** sits about an inch lower than the stock ****, further shortening the effective lever length. Yesterday I raised the **** about an inch on the lever, getting about the effect you'd have with the B&M and the stock ****. I think I like that better. It's not night-and-day different, but there is a noticeable change. Hank, I'll be interested to get your assesment on this adjustment.
Old 11-14-2003 | 01:15 AM
tdf360
Pro

Forgive a non-Porsche owner's dumb question...what kind of seats does a GT3 come with if not GT3 seats?

Gary
Old 11-14-2003 | 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

rsso360.
US spec gt3's comes with the so called "sport seats", with adjustable backrest. gt3 seats are like race seats in that the seat backs are fixed, no adjustment.
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:01 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

sport seats...

GT3 seats
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:12 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Hank

similar to my recent drive in the UK of a Mk1 (MY2000) GT3. I cannot imagine anybody REALLY think the ride is harsh. Compared to my 964, it was very compliant. As you already mentioned, driven 'normally' it is stealthily 'normal'. Great fun under hard driving. I even grew to like the Speed Yellow during the test drive!!
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:37 AM
sjsharks
Racer

I don't suppose the US dealers would do a straight swap on those seats?
Old 11-14-2003 | 12:45 PM
tdf360
Pro

Thanks for the info on the seats. Looks like the GT3 seats are similar to the Ferrari Sport seats.
Old 11-14-2003 | 01:29 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hank, your posts are always well written and very informative. Thanks for the test drive report.
Old 11-15-2003 | 01:59 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sjsharks
I don't suppose the US dealers would do a straight swap on those seats?
Right! Not only won't they swap them, they can't even order them for you, as they are not DOT approved (even though they are approved by the FIA for track use).

Karl
Old 11-15-2003 | 10:43 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

karl,
i know they can order them as Suncoast Porsche has been a dealer of gt3 seats, and they installed them/one in my first GT2 before they shipped the car to me.
Old 11-15-2003 | 08:00 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Great analysis Hank... I too noticed the dramatic change in handling balance when you abruptly accelerate and or decelerate while in a turn...Caught me off guard the first time out in the car...Now I quite like it. This car requires 100% of my concentration and voids the need for a stereo upgrade for I find very little need to listen to it. I guess the only use the stereo would get would be on a long interstate cruise. Something I try to avoid...Boring
Old 11-19-2003 | 12:48 AM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

man the GT3 is tiiite,

i didnt think the power was anything spectacular, and the gears are WAYY to long, woopty doo you can go 192 who is ever gona do that. but other than that.

its gotta be the most perfect street car out there. reliability, comfort, it doenst have the midengine supercar look. but man its go everything elts. and some poeple arnt about the "supercar" look.

Quick Reply: GT3 Test Drive