Sponsored by:

Turbo Chain Tensioner Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 PM
yelcab1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Chain Tensioner Noise

I know it is not 996, but there is so much more brain trust here that you guys will know what this is.

I am working on a friend's 2007 997TT. It has 60K miles and probably well used miles at that. Recently it has developed what I think is chain dragging on tensioner pads noise, may be caused by chain tensioner. Louder on right side than left side.

I am going to try to upload a video file of the noise above and below the engine. Questions:

1) Is chain noise pretty common on 997TT and is it a chain noise related to chain tensioner problems?
2) Is it fixable with the engine in the car?
3) special holding tools?
4) Any instructions?

No job is too big for me, but there are jobs I have not tackled before. I have lots of experience on chains and belts on timing trains with Porsche 911 and Ferraris.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience it's not the chain tensioners that cause the noise it's the gear on the auxiliary shaft that drives the oil pump off the gear on the end of the crank.
Although I'd like to hear the noise to confirm.
If it is this I don't think the noise is anything more than annoying and it's fine to leave as it is, if you can put up with it.
There is a listing on the Porsche pet system for a superseded part to cure this I think as well
Regards
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (05-16-2022)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM
yelcab1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still trying to upload a vid file but it is too big. The sound from the video made with the iphone is not the best or most representative of the real life noise. I can confirm that it is quite loud and the owner said that it was not there before which worries him, and me.

I have lots of experience with air cooled 911 chain noise (happens quite a lot) and this is very similar. Sounds like loose marbles in a box.

It is the gear, then the engine comes out, correct?
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (05-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Turbo Chain Tensioner Noise