GT3 seats... belt routing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default GT3 seats... belt routing question

I finished installing the GT3 seats yesterday. The actual install is fairly simple, the hardest part is making sure that the seatbelt wire is plugged in correctly.

My question concerns the attachment point for the seat belt. Does the belt need to attach to the original location on the chassis or can I use the provided location on the seat frame. Right now I attached to the original location on the chassis, but I have noticed that this location causes the belt to rub on the bolt for the seat attachment point. I have since relocated the trim cap from the original belt location to cover this bolt, but it has me wondering if I did this correctly. Any and all input is appreciated... perhaps someone with factory installed GT3 seats could verify this.

TIA
Old 11-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 3-point seat belt should be attached to the chassis as it was before. The bolt located on the side of the seat is for the harness. I installed mine like the factory does. I ran it through the eyelet of the seat and re-attached the bottom to the chassis.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Viken, thats what I figured. Does your belt rub against the second attachment point on the seat? If so, did you do anything to protect the belt material from chafing? I tried to remove the second attachment point, but could not remove it completely.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Sloth
Thanks Viken, thats what I figured. Does your belt rub against the second attachment point on the seat? If so, did you do anything to protect the belt material from chafing? I tried to remove the second attachment point, but could not remove it completely.
The outer bolt and it's receptical on the outside seat mount bracket can be completely removed. You need to remove the seat from the mounting brackets by removing the 4 bolts. By doing so the bolt receptical simply slides out since it is no longer obstructed by the seat bottom. The good news is that the bracket and slider can remained attached to the floor, including the wiring...
Old 11-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would not attach any belt to the seat or seat fram directly (such as the 964 did) for safety reasons. If at all possible you need to attach any belts to the Chassis directly. otherwise you will be inducing a lateral movement into the seat base in a crash and increase the chances of failure of the seat base. They are basically designed for fore and aft crashes, and are basicaly secured with 6mm bolts (at least on the 964) which i would not trust.
My 2 cents - be safe
Old 11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

cupcar,

the factory lap mount is to a 3/8" bolt on the GT3 seat in the gt2 clubsport. and thus it is approved for ORR. i would prefer thru floor with backing plates, but there are lots of lines and wires to hit if you drill a gt2/3 floor.

an alternative is a "Carl bar" made by Carl Young of Carl's Place in Las Vegas, a rather skillful 200 mph kinda guy, which mounts under the seat mount bolts and provides floor rings for your laps w/o drilling.

here is GuyR's factory clubsport lap mount to the seat, mine is the same

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

I believe that the mounting block/bolt that you are referring to is intended to go on the inboard side of the seat frame to mount the stock lap belt buckle. (This buckle comes mounted to the seat frame with the stock seats.)

Besides, the existing stock outboard mounting point can easily be used to install both a harness and the stock lap belt, and is far superior to mounting either to the seat frame. Why would one want to mount them to the seat frame at all?
Old 11-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

mark,
where are you going to put the inboard mount?
Old 11-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Marco Polo
I believe that the mounting block/bolt that you are referring to is intended to go on the inboard side of the seat frame to mount the stock lap belt buckle. (This buckle comes mounted to the seat frame with the stock seats.)
The mounting block/bolt is provided on both sides of the seat and the seats are specific for the side they are being mounted on (left or right side).
Old 11-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Carrera Cup USA edition used (inner and outer) mounting points on the central tunnel and lodgnitudianals (sp )
They worked great when i "tested" them against a dirt wall in June.
I personally would not mount anything to the seat or seat mounts. Just me, but then again i walked away unharmed from a pretty serious off (right side front hard)
I know that in normal 964's the inner belt is mounted to the seat and to mount it to the central tunnel you have to drill and weld in a mount for the belt, the sub belt is the only thing that is mounted to the seat track - since it only locates the hip belt and keeps it in position but does not take a appriciable load in an impact.
Again - my 2 cents...but it's your butt.
Please wear a head restrain on the track - I got lucky w/o one.

Quick Reply: GT3 seats... belt routing question