GT3 wheel - cast or forged?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob:

I think your analysis is sound. In my case, the Fikse's alone saved a total of 34 lbs of unsprung weight on my GT2 -- 10 lbs per corner for the rear and 7 lbs per corner for the front. Of course, the stock GT2 wheels weigh a TON. The benefits of that reduction in unsprung weight was quite noticeable to me.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by ADOGNY
Does it really matter that much? You arent Michael S. nor racing for millions of dollars. The information is cute, but lets put things in perspective here. Maybe I am crazy, but are a few pounds per wheel going to hurt that much on this level?
Hurt? Never. And, you make a very valid point. However, reducing substantial unsprung weight will result in a better ride, better handling and better stopping. All of this is largely dependant on how much weight was shaved, how the suspension is calibrated and how capable is the car to begin with without weight reduction. In the case of the GT3, we still don't know if the suspension calibrations were based on steel or PCCB rotors. Maybe, Porsche decided on a compromise and maybe 40 lbs is not that substantial or maybe 40 lbs is not that big of a deal for us mortals who do not compete for that extra 1/100th of a second per lap.

Not too long ago, I replaced my 993 C4S solid spoke wheels with 993 Turbo hollow spoke's. As many of you know, these wheels are identical except for construction and weight. Based on figures obtained from Porsche, the total weight savings was 23.14 lbs for all four wheels. At the time, I was also riding on worn-out factory shocks which had made the ride quite harsh and jittery. Once the wheel changes were made, I immediately noticed a bit better ride, a slight bit better steering turn-in and a little bit more damping control. Overall, the changes were welcome but not huge. Bear in mind, we are talking of a relatively lower power (282 BHP) and largely stock suspension. Assuming a much more powerful and capable car like the GT3, these changes may or may not be noticeable or worthwhile.

For those of us who do not compete, I doubt that shaving 20-40 lbs of unsprung weight is worth it. Especially, considering that most lighter wheels are softer and, as watt suggested earlier, will bend under certain driving conditions.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:45 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I think for street/track use, the lighter wheels will wind up being a pain in the ***. I have bent many a rim here in NY, and those were the stocks on my CLK. I'd be pissed having to fix them all the time to save a few lbs. Best scenario would be to keep the stock wheels for street, and of course buy a second set with track tires. I finally got to take my GT3 to Summit Pt and had a blast.. As I get more involved, I think I will buy a second set to have a better set of tires, but may as well save the lbs while I am at it. It wont matter at my skill level, but what would you recommend as a good track wheel and tire to keep as a second set?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

It wont matter at my skill level, but what would you recommend as a good track wheel and tire to keep as a second set?
I wish I could recommend some wheels but I have yet to find a wheel that's both lightweight and good looking. My all-time favorite wheel is the silver BBS LM with forged centers but I'm afraid it is not much lighter than stock. As to tires, the P-Zero Corsa is already available in GT3 sizes and the Pilot Cup Sport is supposed to be around the corner. Either one of those two might be good.

Old 11-09-2003, 09:19 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Since it would be a track wheel, looks are not my #1 concern. Sure I want it to look OK, but how they work on the car is more important. How about FIKSE's with P-Zero Corsa's? Who sells that package at a good price to fit a GT3?
Old 11-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

How about FIKSE's with P-Zero Corsa's? Who sells that package at a good price to fit a GT3?
Sure, Fikse makes some nice wheels. I think Wheel Enhancement is a good place to get a set of those with tires.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Sad that Porsche was the first to introduce a forged aluminum wheel, the classic 5 spoke Fuchs wheel in 1967 on the 911S, and they now no longer offer this construction, instead using cheaper cast wheels.

The last semi-high tech wheel I can recall coming from Porsche is the cast magnesium wheel that was installed on the 964 European Carrera RS and the high tech electron beam welded forged/cast hollow spoke wheel of the mid 90's Turbos.

Seems to me, a car at the price level of a GT2 or GT3 should today come with a forged magnesium wheel, as on the Carrera GT, if Porsche is to take up the gauntlet again in introducing state of the art wheels on their high end cars.......as they did in 1967.

Last edited by Cupcar; 11-09-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Viken
I wish I could recommend some wheels but I have yet to find a wheel that's both lightweight and good looking.
While looks are subjective, there are many forged 18" wheels that are significantly lighter, stronger and look better than the stock GT3 wheel. IMHO, the GT3 wheel is far from being a "looker".

If you like the GT3 10 spoke look, the HRE wheel below may appeal to some. Available with or without reverse lip or visible mounting hardware. I've been told not to go with the "reverse lip" wheel for track use.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Viken
Hurt? Never. And, you make a very valid point. However, reducing substantial unsprung weight will result in a better ride, better handling and better stopping. All of this is largely dependant on how much weight was shaved, how the suspension is calibrated and how capable is the car to begin with without weight reduction. In the case of the GT3, we still don't know if the suspension calibrations were based on steel or PCCB rotors. Maybe, Porsche decided on a compromise and maybe 40 lbs is not that substantial or maybe 40 lbs is not that big of a deal for us mortals who do not compete for that extra 1/100th of a second per lap.
Quoting Harmut Kristen from the June 2003 Excellence GT3 intro article: "But we decided that, because of the very low volume, we would have to accept a compromise and not devise a different set of springs and dampers for cars fitted with PCCB brakes." Granted that doesn't specifically state which setup was used for calibration but I read it as the steel/iron rotors.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:21 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Jack -

Those are nice - What are the specs on those wheels as far as weight and product ID #?
Old 11-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Jack
While looks are subjective, there are many forged 18" wheels that are significantly lighter, stronger and look better than the stock GT3 wheel. IMHO, the GT3 wheel is far from being a "looker".
Jack, I never said the GT3 wheel was a looker. In fact, I don't even think the GT3 itself is a looker. I was simply stating that, if I am going to spend ~$4000 for a set of wheels, I'd like them to be attractive in addition to lightweight and strong. I have yet to find a wheel that fits all three criteria's.

If you like the GT3 10 spoke look, the HRE wheel below may appeal to some. Available with or without reverse lip or visible mounting hardware. I've been told not to go with the "reverse lip" wheel for track use.
We've already discussed the shortcomings of these wheels. No point in bringing it up again.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:55 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These wheels are forged aluminium and weigh 7.4 kgs each. Cost about £2000 a set

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pr.../velocegt1.htm

No affiliation yadda, yadda
Old 11-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack -

Those are nice - What are the specs on those wheels as far as weight and product ID #?
Those are the HRE 843R's (the 8 series wheels have the hidden hardware/bolts) and were made to GT2 offsets and are 8.5" and 11.5" wide front and rear. Weight is approximately 22.6 lbs front and 23.8 lbs rear. Same style wheel can be ordered with visible hardware. Also, the reverse lip outer rim design used on these wheels adds about 1.25 lbs per wheel. Kinesis (style K18) also makes a very similar looking wheel with comparable weights in both reverse or non-reverse lip styles.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Originally posted by Jack
Are these the same HRE wheels that are impossible to reach the valve stems to the point of burning your hands on hot wheels and brake components when checking pressures?

Oh yes, I'll take 4 please.

DTR
Old 11-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dirt Track Racer
Oh yes, I'll take 4 please.
DTR
Right on -- four are on the way to you. Just don't get the 8-series, but rather the 5-series wheel and you can avoid the burns when checking for cracked rotors.

Quick Reply: GT3 wheel - cast or forged?