Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter replacement for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:15 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you use the Carnewal cats above you should have no problems passing CA emissions.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Carnewal Catalytic Converter option

Originally Posted by rebrewer
If you use the Carnewal cats above you should have no problems passing CA emissions.
That does look like a good option. Apparently you got a pair. Could you share the details of your experience? Inquiring-CA-996-GT3-Owners-Need-to-Know

And what exactly was the god-awful cost to ship the core to the Netherlands?

Last edited by black04; 04-05-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: additional specifics
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

I haven't yet but will. As they appear to be stock cats they won't create any problems for testing. Gert at Carnewal has a pretty good rate with FedEx so I'd contact him for shipping estimates. I'll likely return mine in whatever container he uses to ship the "new" ones.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM
black04
Racer

I haven't yet but will. As they appear to be stock cats they won't create any problems for testing. Gert at Carnewal has a pretty good rate with FedEx so I'd contact him for shipping estimates. I'll likely return mine in whatever container he uses to ship the "new" ones.
Good Idea, Re: shipping the core back in the containers you get the "new" ones in.

Are you coming up to a smog check deadline?

In my case I am considering registering my car in Calif, but only if I am confident that I can get the emissions system working properly with the Carnweal converters. So I am looking forward to your experience.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:46 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

No, just smogged recently. I don't expect you'd have any problems. Remember, they don't sniff this year car anymore, they just connect the computer via OBDII connector and do a visual. And test your gas cap
Old 04-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

No, just smogged recently. I don't expect you'd have any problems. Remember, they don't sniff this year car anymore, they just connect the computer via OBDII connector and do a visual. And test your gas cap
But there can't be an active or pending error code and all readiness monitors must be set to complete.

This means -- among other things -- the converters need to be working so the converter monitors are set to complete.

The DME is the judge of if the converters are working right or not by the O2 sensor voltage readings from the #2 sensors, which measure the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases leaving the converter. Pretty much it boils down to if the converter can't store oxygen the DME will fail the converter. Or possibly just not set the readiness monitor to complete while it extends or retries the converter test.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:00 PM
black04
Racer

Default More Carnewal information

Originally Posted by Macster
But there can't be an active or pending error code and all readiness monitors must be set to complete.

This means -- among other things -- the converters need to be working so the converter monitors are set to complete.

The DME is the judge of if the converters are working right or not by the O2 sensor voltage readings from the #2 sensors, which measure the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases leaving the converter. Pretty much it boils down to if the converter can't store oxygen the DME will fail the converter. Or possibly just not set the readiness monitor to complete while it extends or retries the converter test.
Good to know. It is not as simple as it used to be.

ADDITIONAL

per Gert Carnewal (note my comments in parenthesis)

"...We normally repair/upgrade the cats of the customer.
The turn around time is one day.
We can always sell you a pair of upgraded cats.
Depending on their mileage of the cores, there is an extra cost of 400 to 500 euro (!!!???)

Shipping to the US is 55 euro "
(Despite Carnewal's reasonable shipping cost, I would expect my cost to ship from Calif to Netherlands to exceed $200)

"...On the outside, they look just like original.
No part nrs (numbers) or whatever are removed."
(so any CARB or USEPA labels are intact if one sends one's own converters for rebuilding)

In summary $741 currently, (700 Euros) for the converters plus $250+ for shipping both ways. $1000+ total

I would do more research before trying this option. Any additional Carnewal Catalytic Converter rebuilding information welcomed

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement for GT3