Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Ralphk
Can the radio be deleted on US cars ?
No, just the A/C can be deleted on North American cars.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:59 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re radio delete: I ordered an OEM plastic shelf to fill the hole in the dashboard. Radio/CD units are typically about 4lbs. Speakers at least 2lbs each due to the relatively heavy magnets. 10lbs doesn't sound like much. Is 0.1 sec per lap worth no radio?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ralphk
Can the radio be deleted on US cars ?

I did not see that in the order guide.
Nope, you're stuck with it.

Karl
Old 10-25-2003, 04:50 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know the GT3 Clubsport comes with dual mass flywheel.

I asked Porsche if it was possible to order a GT3 Clubsport with a single mass flywheel instead (since the RS has it and to me that looks like the only difference in that area).

The response was simply "No", and they also said it was not technically possible (which to me sounds like a poor excuse to maintain the exclusiveness of the RS).
Old 10-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last time I looked the GT3 A/C option is a mandatory option at no cost (even for euro cars).
Radios weigh 2-3 lbs for the head unit, and 1-3 lbs for the speaker each (assuming there are only 2) you have 9-10 lbs for the whole thing including wiring (at least mine weighed in at 9 Lbs when i installed it in my Cup car)

The Gear ratios are the same as far as i can see (CS vs Normal), only the Cup, RS & RSR are different. But can be used in the GT-3 tranny. You will have to fit these aftermarket, and porsche will not warrenty the parts generally (in the US anyway). The same is true for the C/F hood.

My 2 cents (and not a GT-3 owner, yet anyway)
Old 10-25-2003, 09:03 AM
twisted
Advanced

I asked Porsche if it was possible to order a GT3 Clubsport with a single mass flywheel instead (since the RS has it and to me that looks like the only difference in that area).

The response was simply "No", and they also said it was not technically possible (which to me sounds like a poor excuse to maintain the exclusiveness of the RS).
Does the GT3RS have E-Gas or is it hardwired to the throttle body from a manual gas peddle? If the GT3RS does not have E-Gas then a GT3 Clubsport or non-Clubsport model with E-Gas could have a problem running with a single mass flywheel, as it maybe be to hard for the computer to figure out how to keep the car running. I have a hard believing that, so does anyone know of a GT3 that has E-Gas that is running with a single mass flywheel?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

different cars totally...
the RS is a racing car and does not have E-Gas.
The CS is a "track" version of the GT-3 and uses the same EMS - and so has E-Gas
the Cup and RS versions as far as i understand it are "track" only cars
No E-Gas. Diffent DME and EMS altogether
My 2 cents ......
Old 10-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Rob: You're forgetting that there's a street legal GT3 variant not available in the US called the GT3RS which is what twisted was asking about. This is one reason the new iteration of the GT3 ALMS race car is known as the GT3RSR. And I think the GT3RS street car has EGas so that doesn't preclude a single mass flywheel. Perhaps Porsche won't sell you a GT3 with one from the factory but installation after delivery shouldn't be a problem as the transmission in the GT3 street cars is basically identical to the Cup car transmission other than the gearsets and R&P.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:58 PM
GuyR
Racer

Euro GT3s have no a/c or radio as standard, but both are no cost options.

There a number of GT3 MkIIs for sale here in the UK that have no a/c or radio.....................

Also the GT3 Clubsport Mk1 did have a single-mass flywheel, which differs from GT3 Mk I having dual mass. GT2 flywheel is dual for both versions. Don't know about GT3 MkII flywheel........

Guy
Old 10-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

your right - i was thinking of the previous versions of the RS - the track only ones - not the new "RS" with the Carrera graphics on the side.
i ha dthought that the A/C system was a manditory option WW as it is in the US b/c driveby sound reg's - But i've been know to be wrong before & I don't have a GT-3, just one of it's predasesors
Old 10-26-2003, 03:00 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Rob: You can delete the A/C in a US GT3. It used to be if you didn't order the Climate Control option you'd automaticaly get A/C delete which surprised several buyers. Now there's seperate options for climate control with A/C or A/C delete. I'm assuming the PCNA system requires the selection of one or the other.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I North America you can delete the AC but not the radio. NO credit is given. I think it better to take the AC and radio and if you want to save the weight which is around 22 kilos, remove them yourself. Selling a car without AC and radio is harder. I took the AC and decided to go on a diet. Replace the seats with "real" GT3 seats and you save about 50 lbs and improve comfort and performance unless you NEED to go on a diet in which case see above <grin>
Old 10-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Sorry to burst you bubble guys but the GT3 has a dual mass flywheel for both CS and Comfort spec. The RS will come with a single mass flywheel so I would imagine that this will be a retrofit if you feel the need.

Having driven both versions of he Mk1 I can vouch for the fact that the engine spins up and down a lot quicker, saying that the Mk2 is a much more responsive engine so I can't wait to drive the RS! Maybe Ulf has some comments on this?

Only another 22 days till I collect my RS! Can't wait
Old 10-29-2003, 11:23 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Greetings,
Regarding the installation of the CS rollcage: I know the cage is a bolt in BUT do you have to weld the threaded plates into the car or is the car just drilled and bolted using a backing plate? Could someone with a factory built CS please post some pictures of the cage mounting and some overall pictures? The single photo on the Porsche site does not show much. Also is the cage able to be used without the front portion as just a rollbar? I think the factory CS is delivered without the front portion installed. Thanks guys.

Best,

Don
Old 10-29-2003, 11:46 AM
GuyR
Racer

I have a factory GT2 Clubsport.

The car is supplied with the rear half-cage installed, but with the front portion in boxes for the owner to decide whether to install (since it does slightly restrict entry/exit movement, is visible in the field of vision and leaves the sun visors permanently down.

Guy

Quick Reply: "Convert" US GT3 to Euro GT3 Club Sport specs