Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struggling for GT3 headroom - seat option help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Struggling for GT3 headroom - seat option help?

Hi guys, I've installed the GT3 Euro buckets on stock manual sliders.

I am just 'OK' with the seat cushions removed. Still too high though - and it's only been exacerbated with the cup steering wheel. Problem is I am not tall at 6'1" but I am more torso than leg. And I am a fatty, so a tight squeeze into the Euro buckets anyway - I am probably not even sitting as low as I would just based on squeezing my rear end into the seat.

I tried to be practical and swapped the stock GT3 sport seats into the 993 - but that's even worse, WAY too high. So, long story short, I am leaning on putting the GT3 Euro buckets back in the 993 with the BK side mounts and Recaro sliders. For a street car, height is OK and they suit the RS look of the car fine.

Which leaves me looking for seats for the GT3, I am OK with something more track oriented and foregoing leather. Car is primarily a DE car, with the occasional drive (and to and from the track and shop).

If I am going to do this, I want to maximize fitment and do it right the first time:

- a wider seat than the GT3 Euro bucket would be nice - even a 1/2 inch of extra width would be more comfortable.

- higher holes for harnesses ideal.

- mounted low as possible.

I am even willing to forego sliders to get the best vertical room.

I am starting to do research and the Recaro Profi SPG XL seems like a potential option. But I want to measure twice, cut once here. Quality and fit/finish/durability matters to me as well. Not looking to cheap out, the rest of the car is ostensibly perfect.

- Does anyone know how these compare vs. the GT3 Euro buckets in terms of width and height?

- Do they fit the GT3 well?

- Other seat options I should be looking at?

Finally, what about mounting direct to the floor. What's involved - is there a plug and play solution to minimize fabrication trial and error?

Sorry for the long post and lots of questions, but summed up: I am looking for GT3 track seats, on the larger side, and mounting options as low as possible up to and including bolted to the floor.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-14-2016, 09:12 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a halo seat and mount it to the floor.

I had a similar problem. I'm around your height too.

I did mine with the bk mounts before gmg or whoever started selling their floor mounts. I would probably go that way if I were doing it today. They incorporate sub belt mounts as well.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Matt:
Since you are looking to increase headroom, with whichever seat you decide on, I would start with ditching the slider since you said you are open to that.

Start with this piece which will work with Sparco, OMP, Recaro, or whichever seat you decide on. Brey Krause also makes side mounts for all of the above.

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...boxster-cayman

If you want to keep using your GT3 fixed back seat, then you could substitute the slider and side mounts currently attached and use these to bolt the seat directly into the floor to gain extra headroom.

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...eat-to-996-997

If you have any questions, you can PM at your convenience, or give us a call at 1-800-934-9112.

Kind regards,
Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for getting the ball rolling. To be fair, if the GT3 sport seats mounted lower in the 993, it would be an easier decision. But as it stands, I am leaning towards re-mounting the GT3 buckets back in the 993 with the BK hardware and Recaro sliders I already have, and doing something more track purposed and better fitting for the GT3.

Originally Posted by kk2
Get a halo seat and mount it to the floor.

I had a similar problem. I'm around your height too.

I did mine with the bk mounts before gmg or whoever started selling their floor mounts. I would probably go that way if I were doing it today. They incorporate sub belt mounts as well.
Good point re. the Halo - something like an Ergo? I need to drive on the street and not kill myself getting to the track.

Can you elaborate on your preferences for the GMG/other floor mount over the BK mounts?

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Matt:
Since you are looking to increase headroom, with whichever seat you decide on, I would start with ditching the slider since you said you are open to that.

Start with this piece which will work with Sparco, OMP, Recaro, or whichever seat you decide on. Brey Krause also makes side mounts for all of the above.

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...boxster-cayman

If you want to keep using your GT3 fixed back seat, then you could substitute the slider and side mounts currently attached and use these to bolt the seat directly into the floor to gain extra headroom.

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...eat-to-996-997

If you have any questions, you can PM at your convenience, or give us a call at 1-800-934-9112.

Kind regards,
In terms of the 9080 - what do I do for a sub mount assuming I stick with the GT3 Euro buckets for now.

Thanks, really appreciate the insight from those that have done this before.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

ill send you a pm
Old 08-15-2016, 01:29 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I also am looking for more headroom with my Euro buckets, great seats esp. for us with tall torso but the mounts are tall......understand the BK mounts(at least the for-slider models) mostly give the head-height reduction through a recline vs a straight-down lowering of the whole seat?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-r-9079-a.html

I use the BK mounts. They both drop and recline, adding quite a bit of head and leg room. Get to keep your sliders too!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:23 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Matt,
You can try my SPGs before deciding anything.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Matt, contact GMG about their lowering kit, it may work with your Euro seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...991-981-a.html
Old 08-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burger
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-r-9079-a.html

I use the BK mounts. They both drop and recline, adding quite a bit of head and leg room. Get to keep your sliders too!
Yes, I use those too when I mount the GT3 buckets in the 993 - definitely buys some height. My issue has been compounded because my swap of the GT3 standard sport seats into the 993 is nowhere near low enough, hence looking for a real race seat for the GT3 (and I'll put the GT3 buckets back in the 993). I have to say, the idea of not having hot sticky leather seating at the track is a plus.

Originally Posted by DHI
Matt,
You can try my SPGs before deciding anything.
I'll take you up on that for sure. Will email you to set it up.

Originally Posted by dave-C2
Matt, contact GMG about their lowering kit, it may work with your Euro seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...991-981-a.html
Thanks for the tip, will investigate.

Here are a few pics of the 993 with GT3 seats - it just 'works'.
Attached Images    
Old 08-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^ Love those BBS wheels on your 993. Would love those same ones on my 964. Are those E88 or E28?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark - yeah, they're really nice. Strong too. These are E88s (aluminium).

Liked em so much I got a set for the GT3.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
I also am looking for more headroom with my Euro buckets, great seats esp. for us with tall torso but the mounts are tall......understand the BK mounts(at least the for-slider models) mostly give the head-height reduction through a recline vs a straight-down lowering of the whole seat?
Rob - I'm 6'1" w/34" inseam and used this to mount my drivers side GT3 buckets with Recaro side mounts to the floor:http://www.bkauto.com/R_9044_Seat_Fl...r_p/r-9044.htm
No adjustment but fits me great, let the passenger keep some fore aft on Recaro slider.
Lots of helmet room with a sunroof.
Felt too low at first coming from stock, non-sport lazy boy, but now I'd never go back.

Quick Reply: Struggling for GT3 headroom - seat option help?