Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 996 GT3. Driver condition. Not concours. Priced to reflect.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you will be waiting for
A Unicorn, one that may generate a bidding situation where you won't prevail based on your comments.

Ppi, is no guarantee of anything in the real world, and be sure your prepared real preventive maintence, age generates a lot of issues not readily apparent in relatively low mileage car.

BYW: Mooty knows what the hell he's talking about.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 PM
951cup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby
Sounds like you will be waiting for A Unicorn, one that may generate a bidding situation where you won't prevail based on your comments. Ppi, is no guarantee of anything in the real world, and be sure your prepared real preventive maintence, age generates a lot of issues not readily apparent in relatively low mileage car. BYW: Mooty knows what the hell he's talking about.
Yep, of course there's always a risk of the unknown with any car.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:50 AM
green gene
Advanced

Originally Posted by himself
+1. Supply and demand. I've seen garage queens in the high-70s to low-80s recently. Long gone are the days of the 50K 996.2 GT3... -td
I'm in the market as well, in your opinion, how does a salvaged title inform valuation?
Old 06-04-2016, 01:35 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by green gene
I'm in the market as well, in your opinion, how does a salvaged title inform valuation?
I've never owned or tried to buy a salvaged vehicle but I'd imagine the headache of trying to sell down the road. Most of your buyers are ruled out immediately and anyone who would entertain the thought of buying a salvage is going to ask a million questions. If you can provide full documentation including before/after photos, timeline, repair shop etc then that's a plus. But then there's contending with bizarre issues related to the damage or story itself, ie squeaks, leaks, masking lines, misalignment, misc bits missing, residual unfixed damage (even if just small stuff), companies refusing to fully insure, and so on...

What's all that worth to you? Most people won't even bother putting a number on it; peace of mind is worth more than $
Old 06-04-2016, 05:47 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 388 Posts

I wouldn't even consider one but if I would it would be at least a 50% deduction. Most insurers won't want to insure it for much either.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:24 AM
ad93
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

A 20k mile salvage 996 gt3 sold on eBay earlier this year. It had a salvage title due to vandalism but at the time of sale all damage aside from a torn dashboard was repaired. I don't know the exact selling price as the seller would only say he got more than $45k for it.
Assuming that a 20k mile clean title car is worth about $75k that puts a salvage title car at about 60-70% of a comparable clean title vehicle.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In my opinion a salvage title GT3 only makes sense if you are going to turn it into a dedicated track car or race car. Tough resale no matter what. Price depends on what was totaled, and how it was repaired.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM
green gene
Advanced

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
In my opinion a salvage title GT3 only makes sense if you are going to turn it into a dedicated track car or race car. Tough resale no matter what. Price depends on what was totaled, and how it was repaired.
thank you everyone for your input, very instructive!

OP, I hope this right turn on your thread was helpful for you as well... ***jason
Old 06-14-2016, 03:47 PM
NCJoe
Intermediate

951Cup

I was working with Doug at switch cars. He has a one owner SY 04 for sale in the mid $60's. Also Knute lowered his price on his to $64
Old 06-24-2016, 02:59 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

So riding the fence - here's my limited experience with GT3's combined with purchasing a variety of other Porsches. I bought a higher mileage one owner GT3 at the lower end of the price spectrum. The PPI revealed worn transmission mount to replace with the worn out original clutch and LSD. The car had a $5k+ suspension upgrade, roll bar and $10k of factory Porsche appearance options about which I care little. It had some paint work from a disclosed minor incident but clean car fax. I ultimately put about $6k into the car with the clutch plus the "while we're in here" stuff which included the Guard LSD rebuild, plugs, coil packs, and fluid flushes. I could have bought a lower mileage similarly prepared but "nicer" (no paint work, 3 owner, more expensive suspension upgrade) car for about $14k more (plus tax) from a Porsche dealer. The dealer car sold while I was test driving it. To Mooty's point - the cheaper car may end up costing the same by the time you put the needed maintenance dollars in. However, my experience with used Porsches is no matter what you pay there will always be an "opportunity" (read necessity) to spend some money on it. What I liked about buying the less expensive car was (1) though it "needed" a clutch the day I bought it - I drove it 2 seasons and DE'd it a few times before replacing the clutch and (2) the work that was done was my mechanic so I get some warranty and good will for the work down the road and (3) I don't freak about doing a little track time to justify the expense of maintenance. You don't always get the second benefit if you buy the car and the work was done for the prior owner - especially if the prior owner's mechanic is half way across the country. Buying the right car is often not simply a matter of price and more a matter of value. Even more - buying the right car is usually a matter of avoiding the wrong car for you as the buyer. Nice thing about a GT3 right now is, unless you buy the wrong car, they aren't depreciating. A $65k GT3 may not be worth $100k in a few years but if you don't wreck it you'll not likely see it drop in value either. If you're looking to enjoy - not invest - how often can you buy, drive, love, and sell a car and get your money back? It's like a free pass to the amusement park. All you have to buy are the expensive snacks. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:37 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
It's like a free pass to the amusement park. All you have to buy are the expensive snacks. Good luck.
I usually don't bother to read posts that don't include line breaks, but there was a gem at the end of this one!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Nice write-up. I agree completely.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM
951cup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jpoint
So riding the fence - here's my limited experience with GT3's combined with purchasing a variety of other Porsches. I bought a higher mileage one owner GT3 at the lower end of the price spectrum. The PPI revealed worn transmission mount to replace with the worn out original clutch and LSD. The car had a $5k+ suspension upgrade, roll bar and $10k of factory Porsche appearance options about which I care little. It had some paint work from a disclosed minor incident but clean car fax. I ultimately put about $6k into the car with the clutch plus the "while we're in here" stuff which included the Guard LSD rebuild, plugs, coil packs, and fluid flushes. I could have bought a lower mileage similarly prepared but "nicer" (no paint work, 3 owner, more expensive suspension upgrade) car for about $14k more (plus tax) from a Porsche dealer. The dealer car sold while I was test driving it. To Mooty's point - the cheaper car may end up costing the same by the time you put the needed maintenance dollars in. However, my experience with used Porsches is no matter what you pay there will always be an "opportunity" (read necessity) to spend some money on it. What I liked about buying the less expensive car was (1) though it "needed" a clutch the day I bought it - I drove it 2 seasons and DE'd it a few times before replacing the clutch and (2) the work that was done was my mechanic so I get some warranty and good will for the work down the road and (3) I don't freak about doing a little track time to justify the expense of maintenance. You don't always get the second benefit if you buy the car and the work was done for the prior owner - especially if the prior owner's mechanic is half way across the country. Buying the right car is often not simply a matter of price and more a matter of value. Even more - buying the right car is usually a matter of avoiding the wrong car for you as the buyer. Nice thing about a GT3 right now is, unless you buy the wrong car, they aren't depreciating. A $65k GT3 may not be worth $100k in a few years but if you don't wreck it you'll not likely see it drop in value either. If you're looking to enjoy - not invest - how often can you buy, drive, love, and sell a car and get your money back? It's like a free pass to the amusement park. All you have to buy are the expensive snacks. Good luck.
👏👏👏👏 you win!!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 04:23 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Well I like the idea of this thread. I'm always window shopping a Porsche GT series for the right price :-p drivers cars for the win!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

if you are a good mechanic DIY all bets are off.
if you not working on your own car, then buying the $$$ car will always end up cheaper (except super low miles,

Quick Reply: WTB: 996 GT3. Driver condition. Not concours. Priced to reflect.