Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put back seats in a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. My 993RS had rear seats and non-fixed back 'sports seats' from new. Presumably it would be illegal if the front seats were fixed back?

I bet of the 1050(?) 993RS' mine is the only one with this odd combo!

Old 12-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Very interesting thread and sorry to bring this back from the dead again.

Has anybody actually played about with using the rear seats (or shelves!) for anything other than storage? I am close to going for the GT3, but my wife is trying to convince me to go for a Cayenne, simply because she feels it's more useable. Still, this is a debate she's not going to win.

I've gone to look at a few '03 GT3's and notice that the rear of the car 'looks' big enough to seat someone. Has anybody actually 'sat' in the back of one? Is it comfortable or at least, habitable?

Also, can any baby seat be placed into the front of a UK GT3 seat? (bucket seat) and is the front air-bag simply deactivated by way of a fuse?

Cem
Old 12-14-2003, 05:15 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Rear seats in a GT3.....I think I am going to be sick.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:54 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

In response to Blow Dog, my 5'10"/175lbs was able to sit in the back of a GT3, but this was for a 30 minute test ride, it can be done, but its not safe and will be unfortable for longer rides as you can imagine.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:43 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car seat fits in the front seat fine - only do it with the airbag disable from Porsche which the dealer must install. Have not tried it in a bucket - I only have that in the drivers seat, passenger is still standard sport seat. Some seats require a recline in the seatback to fit properly so you'll definitely want to test it out.

Car seat also fits in the back fine - don't need the seatback or bottoms - it fits better without anyway. Seatbelt parts available from your dealer for around $230 or $250 US I believe. Very easy install. I put one on the passenger side only - easy access since it's not a bucket and I only have one child right now.

If you really want to, you can buy the seatbacks from the coupe(which don't help much and are VERY HEAVY) for about $2500 US. I think the seat bottoms were close to $500 but I don't remember. Neither piece is needed if you're putting a car seat back there and I sure won't be putting anyone bigger than a toddler in the back of mine.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by sjsharks
Rear seats in a GT3.....I think I am going to be sick.
Do not be... that is what I am looking at...

The GT3 is the car I have been waiting all along... right tranny and right engine and less expensive than a TT... but I have two kids and I take them everywhere I go (well, most of the time anyway). So I need to be able to accomodate everyone in the "family" car .

In the US the cars are delivered with normal/standard sport seats so they fold forward.

The idea of putting booster seats like the Porsche Princess seat sounds like the way to go and will avoid the expense of adding the seats... at least until the kids are older.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Just to chime in with another elbow, er, opinion: No rear seating is practical with the GT3 seats. Slide both fully forward; slide one fully forward, one fully back: no go for any adult access, including tending to child. Of course, no way to use rear seating with any rollbar. (I hire a double-jointed midget to clean the inside of the rear windscreen.)

However, for far less than the cost of a Modena, you can get both sets of seats, any rear seating desired, and custom rig harnesses off of existing mounting points (taking rollbar in and out is too much, even for the super-rich). Then just convert for the occasion. Swapping out seats is not a huge task. Or, get an aftermarket (Sparco Evo III, big guy?) seat that has great support AND tilts forward.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

[
Also, can any baby seat be placed into the front of a UK GT3 seat? (bucket seat) and is the front air-bag simply deactivated by way of a fuse?

Cem [/B]
Cem,

I have used one of the Porsche child seats on all my GT3's without any problems what so ever. Just make sure that the deactivation kit is fitted and you use it.

I would say that the kiddie seats fit better with the highback seats as there is more lateral location afforded by the side bolsters.

Kids enjoy it as well!

Good luck!.

P.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Marco,
That's a great tip! Any idea's on the cost of additional seats and how long you would need to swap them over?

P,
That's reassuring thanks - in your GT3, do you have the bucket seats?

Cem
Old 12-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Originally posted by Blow Dog
Marco,
That's a great tip! Any idea's on the cost of additional seats and how long you would need to swap them over?

P,
That's reassuring thanks - in your GT3, do you have the bucket seats?

Cem
Cem,

Yes I have the bucket seats.

If you are around tomorrow I think there are a number of us going to Brands, provided it is not snowing. Why not drop over? There are going to be a few RS's in addition to the usual GT3's in attendance.

You can have a look at how the seat fits as I will be going with my eldest son.

Maybe see you tomorrow.

P.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Angry

Grrr..

Can't believe I read this now - very upset that I missed this as I'd love to have come down and had a chat.
Spent the day at Silverstone Porsche with their GT3 they have in the showroom - gotta decide between this one or the Lancaster GT3.

Guards Red
PCCB
Club Sport
Xenon
Allum pack

or

Silver
Air Con
Xenon
Leather
Allum pack

Both same price, which would you think has better resale?

Cem
Old 12-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Sutters
Intermediate

Unhappy

I can't believe I missed Brands to Cem, on my bleedin door step to!

I personally would opt for the Guards red car.

..Ian
Old 12-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Default GT3 Colour

Cem,

Saw the Red one at Lancaster whilst I was there a few weeks ago.

Surprised it is still there!

Would have been good to see you yesterday, very few people there but very enjoyable all the same.

Quite a few offs so maybe it is a good thing that it was the last event before Christmas!

I have attached a picture, not sure if it will work, of the two RS's.

See we do have blue sky in the UK!!

P.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Hah - that's quite a coincidence. My friend sent me that picture this morning (Sutters above!).

Anyway, can confirm that I've just got off the phone with Lancaster and have finalised on a new '04 April delivery for a new car. In Cobalt Blue too

Can I ask, would you think Club Sport is a good choice for resale and would you consider it to be a benefit in terms of driver experience?
I need to decide on spec by the end of this week and, well, I haven't a clue!

Cem
Old 12-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Small world, I must have been speaking to you friend then!

I was there with my son when I was asked to put my car in front of Shaun's for a"separated at Birth" special photo shoot.

As for the GT3 you will not regret your purchase.

There is no real difference between the CS and comfort, unlike the Mk1. It just comes down to personal choice and if you prefer leather or Nomex gripping your butt.

My 03 GT3 was Cobalt Blue comfort with the full dead cow and a half cage and I had no problems selling that after 2 months and 4K miles so go for the one you feel most happy with.

What spec have you gone for so far?

As you are in the UK have a look at www.titanic.co.uk and follow the links to the GT3 register, good bunch who will always be more than willing to help you out.

What ever you choose you will not regret it, Good Luck!

Merry Christmas.

P.

Quick Reply: Anyone put back seats in a GT3?