Sponsored by:

Top Secret Chip info

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Secret Chip info

Im not allowed to say who , but a top chip maker is working on a gt3 chip.
They have seen 15 hp so far and hoping for 25. They also say that they will improve mid range for better street driving. Im so excited !

Should be done the end of november.

rgds
Old 10-14-2003, 10:04 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

How can you keep that from us?? Please do tell once you can..
Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

Default TPC Chip

Fasle alarm, turns out the chip manufacturer who claimed turned out to have false claims on other chips. I wont mention their name.

However i did speak to Mike at TPC and they have a real chip that gives an increase of 9Hp and 9 lbs of torque.(thats rear wheel HP) He also said that he increased throttle response dramatically and eliminates the lag down low. He says that the power is very much improved now from 3000 rpm and up. I believe him because he races these cup cars and wins! TPC has also done Karl S Gt3 and he said very good things about it.

I urge anyone in here to get the chip asap. I would. My car is coming in February,and i can honestly say that im looking forward even more because of this chip.

Karl S had stated to me on the phone today that if your cruisng in 3rd at about 3000 rpm's and gun the gas , that you now get a much improved response and more power down low.

If anyone needs TPC phone number just give me a PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say you could probably get 10 hp out of the car in a chip if you are willing to run 100 octane all the time and give up so low end power.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:18 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

I dont see how 9HP can make a difference.. Arent these cars so finely tuned from the factory already? I could see exhaust/headers helping as well.. Better off waiting for more trial and error to see what REALLY works best.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

is there anyone in here planning on getting the tpc chip .im interested in some diverse feedback on it.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:49 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ed Newman
I'd say you could probably get 10 hp out of the car in a chip if you are willing to run 100 octane all the time and give up so low end power.
Ed,

My car was used by TPC to develop this software (it isn't really a chip, they just flash your existing ECU). We did over 25 dyno runs trying different things with timing, fuel maps, etc. All was done with 93 octane pump gas. We increase peak HP by 10, which isn't that noticeable except on a race track. However, as GT3nuet mentioned, the big improvement on the street is the mid-range throttle response. I find myself mostly running in the 3000 - 4500 rpm range on the street. Before the software upgrade, the car was a little flat when you floored it at 3000. That effect is done now and the car has much more urgency at lower rpm.

With 100 octane, we could have played more with the timing and stuff but this isn't practical for a street car, because you don't find much 100 octane at the local gas stations around here.

Karl
Old 10-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds within the realm of possibility. By adjusting the variocam start point you should definitely be able to increase the midrange. We used to do this in Honda's. How much more were you able to increase the timing? Porsche claims the car is good to 98 RON which is 93 so in theory there should be no place to advance it to unless the car is detuning when it should not be. Where is the extra 9/10 hp? At peak RPM? How was to torque effected? I am glad to see you did alot of dyno pulls, did you also pull a control car? It would be interestnig to see how the car dyno's in a few weeks once the computer has settled in. You need the control car for that. Also, do kep in mind that chassis dyno (I assume that is what you used) can be off by a few hp and thats all we are talking about here every run. My boat motor dyno'ed by in a range of 596-614 HP on consecutive pulls on the same dyno the same day with no changes. At first it was going down and I though just the retained heat, but the last pull was one of the highest. Go figure! Did you sniff the car? Will it still pass smog? NY&CA are the strictest, so it should probably pass in DC regardless. And last, do I want to know what 9 hp cost?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Ed,

They didn't change the timing at all, because they felt it was already advanced as far as it can go on 93 octane. We don't have a control car but did a number of runs in each configuration and averaged the results. My average for the car out of the box was 358 HP and the average for the final configuration was 368 HP. The max torque stayed about the same, actually losing 1 ft lb on average. If you look at the dyno chart, the increase is across the rpm band but is largest in the upper rpms. I should have the dyno chart up on my web site soon.

We didn't take a smog reading but they told me it shouldn't be affected. The smog tests are done at idle or low rpm. All the changes they made were from 3000 rpm and up.

I don't know what TPC is charging for this software but I'm sure they'll be competitive with other chip tuners.

Karl
Old 10-16-2003, 09:50 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Do you have a dyno chart? Is the HP increase only at high end of the rpm range - or through the entire range? Also, what was the change in torque
?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:42 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Hardly seems worth it to me for a max 10hp gain. What is done to the GT3 RSR to get 445 HP out of it? Is it worth looking into any upgrades?
Old 10-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

ADOGNY: The GT3RSR runs on race gas, has higher compression, no cats, cams that have a more radical profile (driving around town at part throttle isn't an issue for the RSR) w/o the VarioCam system and a different intake system with larger intake ports. And probably a few other things.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:17 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

So there really arent any worthwhile mods for the GT3 right now. I am happy with the car as it is, but who knows about down the road. 450HP would be nice, but seems like way too much work to get there.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Steve in FL
And probably a few other things.
Yeah, like a life span of 25-30 hours between rebuilds.

Karl
Old 10-19-2003, 11:49 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of maintenance does a cupcar require? I assume it's nothing like the RSR...

Quick Reply: Top Secret Chip info