Sponsored by:

Baby needs a new pair of shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Baby needs a new pair of shoes

After months of waiting Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are back in the US in 996 GT3 sizes. I got mine ordered, mounted and I installed them today. Will post driving impressions.

To start, here are my yellow HRE wheels. I have been running these for about 3 years and am going to switch to my bright silver HREs today. (These are model 547 three piece forged BTW)

I ran my Nittos on track and street, down to the cords. They just get stickier as they wear. However late spring rain had me biting my nails as I couldn't drive the car in the wet on these. I actually almost got stuck at work Friday when it rained

The PSC2 tires mounted on the bright wheels ready to go

I have studs on my car to protect the PCCBs when taking wheels on and off. These are Deman rotors in front though, you can see the surface cracking. I don't recommend these rotors and will be going Girodisc or Brembo soon in front (I run PCCB in back on the street). You can also see the deep full tread on the PSC2 here:

There she is mounted up and ready for some careful tire break in miles on the greasy new shoes. After this it's time for a wash along with her roommate, and some center caps (removed as these wheels had Hoosier R6s for track duty before).

Roommates:

Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 212 Posts

Interested to hear what you think about the PSC2s on the street. I've been considering them too as i'm too scared to run the Nittos in the rain but with the amount of camber on my car i'm concerned i'd just be burning $$ for street tyres. Your car looks cool BTW, is it Lapis Blue or Midnight??
Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Interested to hear what you think about the PSC2s on the street. I've been considering them too as i'm too scared to run the Nittos in the rain but with the amount of camber on my car i'm concerned i'd just be burning $$ for street tyres. Your car looks cool BTW, is it Lapis Blue or Midnight??
I run sumitomos on the street. tire rack had them on sale recently. $150 per tire for rears and $115 for fronts.

-td
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Thanks, it's 1 of 4 996 GT3s in Midnight Blue. I may post more pics of it, has OEM carbon shells with the backs painted midnight blue, leather wrapped roll bar and Motons. It's been a great track beast and occasional pleasure driver for the past 8 years.

I drive 3k miles/year, so no concerns on burning money on tires. My Nittos lasted 6 years!

Last edited by Backmarker; 05-09-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention tires
Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Thanks, it's 1 of 4 996 GT3s in Midnight Blue. I may post more pics of it, has OEM carbon shells with the backs painted midnight blue, leather wrapped roll bar and Motons. It's been a great track beast and occasional pleasure driver for the past 8 years.

I drive 3k miles/year, so no concerns on burning money on tires. My Nittos lasted 6 years!
I do only about 2K per year so I should probably adopt the same philosophy! Interesting with regards to the OEM carbon shells, sourced from Europe I gather?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Yeah tires are the most important part of any car, for safety, for braking, for handling and for fun. That's the last place I look to save (along with brakes, made that mistake on the demans never again). So I buy whatever ones I want.

Not sure where shells came from, original owner did them with rothsport who never sent me receipts/specs even though I asked them half a dozen times when I bought the car.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ What happened with the Demans? I ask because I'm running Demans front rotors...
Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Number54
^^^ What happened with the Demans? I ask because I'm running Demans front rotors...
Agreed. I ran Demans for a while. Never had an issue. And they weren't bargain basement products by any stretch. Hell, I've run $100 cayenne rotors for years without issue, so I am also surprised that Deman is getting dinged.

Also, he posts here on RL, is a site sponsor, and typically has great contribution/advice. Anyone that has issues with his stuff can usually PM directly and get a response.

-td
Old 05-11-2016, 06:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Agreed. I ran Demans for a while. Never had an issue. And they weren't bargain basement products by any stretch. Hell, I've run $100 cayenne rotors for years without issue, so I am also surprised that Deman is getting dinged.

Also, he posts here on RL, is a site sponsor, and typically has great contribution/advice. Anyone that has issues with his stuff can usually PM directly and get a response.

-td
Agreed. I've run his rotors in the past and never had an issue.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:54 AM
kingston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be worth asking this question on pistonheads as over here in the UK, we tend to either stick with PS2's or people are running PSC2's if its going to driven when its mainly warm (spring-autumn). Im running PSS but seem to be the only one amongst the people i chat with
Old 05-12-2016, 10:11 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kingston
Might be worth asking this question on pistonheads as over here in the UK, we tend to either stick with PS2's or people are running PSC2's if its going to driven when its mainly warm (spring-autumn). Im running PSS but seem to be the only one amongst the people i chat with
Where do the PSS sit amongst the PS2 and PSC2's? I run a very aggressive track alignment so I prefer to have as much available grip as possible even with street tyres.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

I am in California so cold weather is not a concern here. It rains (barely) but more like what you would call a sprinkle in the UK.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

My deman rotors turned black (very weird) after one track day at Laguna and have cracks spidered all over the surface.

Demans are super heavy and kill the steering feel compared to PCCB (and probably compared to brembo/girodisc floating rotors that IIRC are about 5 LBS less unsprung weight per corner.

They are also so much more than Cayenne rotors that I see no value in them. Pay more for nothing better.

Great that he sponsors the forum, but that's marketing/customer service and not product. The product is not differentiated from a cheaper alternative and is inferior to marginally pricier options.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:07 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Backmarker
I am in California so cold weather is not a concern here. It rains (barely) but more like what you would call a sprinkle in the UK.
Our climate where I am in South Australia is remarkably similar to So Cal so these could be a good fit for me! I hear ya on the rotors too, I run Brembo Motorsport Type 3. Eye watering costs but I cant bring myself to skimp on one of the most important components of the car. That's not to say the demans or cayenne rotors aren't worth their shot, I see plenty of people have had good results with them. Just not for me.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:40 AM
kingston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do the PSS sit amongst the PS2 and PSC2's? I run a very aggressive track alignment so I prefer to have as much available grip as possible even with street tyres.

Not sure where they sit but the PS2, while time proven, is also an old design. Yes i know the compounds change etc to make it more modern but to me its old.

When i discussed it before with my UK buddies, basically the conclusion was normal road conditions, any time of year then PSS. If its warm weather only sort of thing then PSC2's.

The PSC2's are meant to be better than the 1's at water distribution but i wasnt willing to take the risk. Im still waiting on the tyres to bed in as you can feel the rear still squirming about if you like as the blocks get worn in.

Quick Reply: Baby needs a new pair of shoes