Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 humbled by 996TT Tip - well almost ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Weng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 humbled by 996TT Tip - well almost ...

On paper the GT3 should have spanked the TT (tip w/ Techart sport cat/exhaust). Unfortunately the real world results were dare I say humbling. Did 2 runs on an open highway - and before I get accused of reckless endangerment, it was very early morning on an empty road in a high tolerance jurisdiction with no cars in sight.

1st run was a rolling start in 3rd gear from 110km/h. With the turbos spooled up, the GT3 didn't have a chance and the TT immediately lept forward by a car length. Redline in 3rd & 4th allowed me to close in by 1/2 a car length - a margin that was pretty much maintained all the way through 270 km/h.

2nd run was out of a toll booth. Launch area was a bit damp and the GT3 struggled for traction through much of 1st gear and at the 1st - 2nd shift. Cars were pretty much even through the first 2 gears - GT3's wheel spin prevented an early getaway. Ultimately the GT3 pull ahead and maintained a slight margin through 260 km/h.

The GT3 is clearly quick if given the chance to launch properly and room to go through the entire rpm range. That said, the flexibility of the TT engine and the traction provided by the 4WD appears to give it an advantage under normal circumstances. I suspect that under similar conditions, the GT3 would have been properly spanked by a manual TT.

Saving grace for the morning was to hear the TT owner express his desire for a GT3 upon our return from our ultimate destination - the race track.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the average driver, the Turbo is much easier to drive fast. In the hands of a greatly experienced or pro driver, the GT3 will smoke a standard Turbo. In fact, the GT3 is one tick slower than a GT2 on a given track in the hands of the same pro driver. That's how well balanced the GT3 chassis is.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:28 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

As been said before - GT3 is the BEST value/performance Porsche yet, especially based on the track numbers. Someone once said here the TIP is faster through the gears than the 6 Spd. I would imagine from a dead stop the 6 can be faster and thats where it makes up the time in the 1/4, but at the speeds you are talking about, the results against a 6 spd would probably have been the same. You were victimized by the TQ, where the turbo clearly has an advantage... If you are going to start in 3rd gear, you need to be at about 5K or above in order to NOT get jumped by the TQ of the TT.

My friend just picked an 02 TT(6 spd) - I'll let you know how they compare..

PS - YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON FOR GOING THAT FAST ON A PUBLIC HIGHWAY!! HOW DARE YOU!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Viken,

In my hands (experienced or not) the GT2 is 3 (only) seconds a lap faster than my GT3. That's 1:48 for the GT2 and 1:51 for the GT3. On a dollars per second of lap time basis the GT3 is a very clear winner in the "bang for the buck" department. At tracks with longer straights, I think the GT2 would have a greater advantage, I'm thinking Mosport and Watkins Glen for example. On shorter tracks with more turns the gap would narrow. On my home track www.lecircuit.com the GT3 has BETTER grunt coming out of turn five (esses) and 12 (bridge). Every other Porsche including my GT2 feels like it needs an additional gear between second and third. This could be fixed with a different gear-set of course but contrary to the guy who thinks the GT3 lacks stump-pulling power at lower revs, my experience is the contrary. In sixth gear on the highway at 3000 rmp the GT3 accelerates harder than the GT2. A downshift would cure that in a big way but the '3' engine has a more flexible power band than the GT2. FWIW at GT3 at Le Circuit has a higher top speed down the back straight than a 360 Challenge car. Both driven by the same person by the way so it isn't about the launch out of turn 8 leading to the straight. The GT3 is a bargain as Porsches go as long as you want a hard edged sports car.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:08 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

And it isnt even that "hard edged".. I feel more "one with the car" in the GT3 than in my friends TT.. Feels like I am in a REAL sport car/semi race car and not like sitting in my CLK 430 with more power..

Adam

Quick Reply: GT3 humbled by 996TT Tip - well almost ...