RSS 930 roll bar - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default RSS 930 roll bar - thoughts?

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-930-s.../i-402509.aspx

Done a lot of reading and asking around - I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these. I like the design (as much as I can tell from pictures), like the fact it ties to the rear shock mounts, and generally hear it's well-made and fits well.

Any thoughts from folks that have been through this before? Are there better alternatives out there at this price point?

Best,

Matt
Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Have one...not fun to install and definitely requires two strong and flexible people

I've also heard of people changing the seat-belt mounting point so that you can remove / detach the seatbelts without detaching the roll bar from the mounting point. I would look into that before the install. Will save you a lot of headaches later if you need to remove the seat belts for some reason.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Philip944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and loved it. Never 'tested' it. Complete PITA to install. Took me a solid day and I like to think that I'm fairly handy. There are some install threads on here that helped me. Took forever to figure out how to fit it inside the car and rotate it into position.

Fit was nice but it did creak a bit
Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Matt,

I installed the RSS 931, with extra wide floor plates to increase the strength of that connection. Results in a very robust installation.

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-931-s.../i-527135.aspx

PM me if you want any specifics
Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 PM
oldturd
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think at this price point there are better options when it comes to the mounting points.

with regard to installation, take your time. Get a friend to help as well- it'll save you a lot of headaches with alignment of the bar while tightening it.. and just overall better to have a second set of eyes.

I bought a used RSS 928 and it took us (taking our sweet time) probably 18 hours inclusive of fitting, retapping all threads and buttoning it up. This is a used bar though, and the job we did was as clean as possible.. The workmanship on the bar is superb though.

if you're on the fence, just do it
Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
I've also heard of people changing the seat-belt mounting point so that you can remove / detach the seatbelts without detaching the roll bar from the mounting point. I would look into that before the install. Will save you a lot of headaches later if you need to remove the seat belts for some reason.
Do you have any links related to this topic? I have the bar, and would love to be able to swap seats back and forth, but I have not done so for several years because I don't want to have to unbolt and rebolt the bar.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:44 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

hmm...trying to find it. I know it was mentioned on here before. I just did a little bit of searching but I can't find it.

I'm trying to remember the concept...I think the idea was to use a threaded bolt like this:

To attach the roll bar to the seat belt mount. And then a shorter screw to secure the actual seat belt to the outside of the bar here:

I do wonder if it's less-safe and I honestly can't remember if that was the solution.

Maybe someone else can point to the thread that I'm remembering...
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CO
Do you have any links related to this topic? I have the bar, and would love to be able to swap seats back and forth, but I have not done so for several years because I don't want to have to unbolt and rebolt the bar.
i did this. use a grade 8 threaded rod and nut. flat washer and lock washer. remove the bushings in the roll bar. install the bar. install the threaded rod into the large bushing hole. then slide the bushing into place and use a socket to tap it into place.then slide the seat belt mount over the rod. then flat washer lock washer and nut. i also use a rubber nipple over the exposed rod end.

this allows the bar to have a 4 rods installed without jamming or stripping the threads in side the cars body. most roll bars dont fit exactly right and you end up using muscle and straps to try to force it into alignment with the 4 mounts. this eliminates this

btw theres a gmg roll bar with 6 mounting points for sale for less than this rss bar. 4 seat belt mounts and 2 removeable bars that tie into the shock mounts. double gussets. they build one of the best roll bars out there
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...arpet-set.html
Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

You got any pictures of this?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to see pictures as well!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in here - what I'm hearing is it's a bear to install, but a quality and well-finished piece. Nuff said.

I looked at the GMG and DAS similar models, and just from pictures, prefer the design of the RSS. So that's what I'm going to track down.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CO
I'd love to see pictures as well!
my car is currently in vegas finishing up a major build. if you can wait ill take pics when i reinstall the roll bar
Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

I also have a quick follow-on favor to ask - it looks like the RSS bar is one-size, whether or not there's a sunroof?

I know on the DAS, there is a substantial difference between the 2 bars (and there would be fairly large gap above their bar if installing a sunroof bar in a non-sunroof GT3).

Can anyone snap a pic of the fitment of the RSS 930 in a non-sunroof GT3, I am curious to see how close and well it follows the contour of the pillars and roof vs. gaps.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-23-2016, 04:05 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I also have a quick follow-on favor to ask - it looks like the RSS bar is one-size, whether or not there's a sunroof?

I know on the DAS, there is a substantial difference between the 2 bars (and there would be fairly large gap above their bar if installing a sunroof bar in a non-sunroof GT3).

Can anyone snap a pic of the fitment of the RSS 930 in a non-sunroof GT3, I am curious to see how close and well it follows the contour of the pillars and roof vs. gaps.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Matt
There's a lot of space on a non-sunroof GT3. I'd have to take a picture the next time I'm in the car.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Oliver911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a rss930 for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

Quick Reply: RSS 930 roll bar - thoughts?