Sponsored by:

996.2 GT3 Hot Frunk/trunk/Luggage compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 996mk2GT3
Thanks all, have been driving around a bit the last few days - just glad to have the car back!

No real news, the realigned ducting MAY have helped but then our ambient temperatures have been lower this week so it's really hard to say. The compartment is still unreasonably warm though, in my opinion.

Is there REALLY not supposed to be ANY insulation around the compartment? There seems to be plenty room for it between the metal and the radiator core so it seems odd this would be missing. Weight saving maybe?

Has anyone ever tried to insulate this compartment?

I think it may just be a quirk I'll have to learn to live with...
Even under normal conditions with no issues with the radiator ducting or a possible fan malfunction, the trunk gets warm from heat soak from the radiators/AC condensers (if the weather is hot enough to have the A/C on).

All the Porsche model front tubs I've seen are just painted bare metal with no insulation. I really don't think insulation is called for unless you are going to use your car's front trunk to carry organs donated for transplanting.

I don't put frozen food -- any food -- in the Turbo's front trunk, or the Boxster's front or rear trunks. But I have carried clothes and such even laptops and other electronics in all 3 trunks through cold and hot (very hot) weather with no problems.

Things like liquids, medicines, I carry in a special small bag -- with some insulation but not much -- in the cabin. I keep it covered with a towel or blanket to keep it out of the sun and when I reach home or if I'm on the road a hotel I remove the bag and take it inside along with all the electronics and what have you.

For a stop for fuel, or food I just leave everything in the car though out of sight to avoid tempting someone to smash and grab say a laptop case.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

6min in, example of not just 996.2

Quick Reply: 996.2 GT3 Hot Frunk/trunk/Luggage compartment