Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RSR?
Old 10-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Random Alias
Advanced

Originally posted by Steve in FL
Flying Finn: Funny, that's what I said when Porsche decided to give the US the 911 Millenium Edition in 2000 rather than the Mk I GT3. No wait, what I said was "I want a sport car, not a friggin' pimp mobile!"

Yo Dog! Pimpin' ain't easy.
Don't be hatin'!

Old 10-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Random Alias: You need to get the Purple to Green fade effect of the Millenium Edition's special Violet Chroma Flair paint. That be truly pimpin'

And not to slight folks that own the Millenium Edition cars, it was actually a pretty good deal if you priced out what the options cost seperately. It was just that it vividly showed what Porsche considered its US market when we got that car and not the GT3 in 2000.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:06 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s

Originally posted by Johninrsf

Turning into corners is unsettling to say the least...like having two steering ratios that have a mind of their own
Stiff clutch pedal
Brakes a little dead feeling
Heavy steering feel
Pardon me...but your son have never driven a 911 so it seems...
You cannot compare a front engined car with a rear engined car on how they behave! It is very obvious that your son has never driven one and I must pressume neither have you otherwise you would not post these remarks...

Dont take this offensively but I think you better stay off 911's as you will experience the above symptoms with the GT2 as well so you will loose your money...
On the other hand these things are presicely the things that matter when driving fast. Steering accuracy, hard brake pedal which is a breeze to modulate etc... There is no feeling in the world than mastering the art of driving fast a 911. I'm on my way and clearly nowhere near where I could be but still comparing my 911's with my M3 is like apples and oranges. My M3 which i call my "Caddilac" has tottaly different dynamics than my 911's. The truth is that it is so much easier to drive it fast but will never be as rewarding as a fast lap in a 911.

Unfortunately I must agree with JC and It's really unfortunate that people like me who actually appreciate what your son critisizes dont have the funds to buy off of you a spot for a GT3 where most North Americans with funds prefer the plush,bloated, luxo pseudo sport cars that are flooding our market...
Old 10-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DJF1,
Your post has finally put me over the edge, so please feel free to take this personally.
I am new to Rennlist, but I am not new to Porsches. As I mentioned in this thread, I have owned three Porsches going back to 1974, including a Turbo. IN fact, I have driven Porsches for over 20 years. So, your first comment that I must not have ever driven a Porsche is one that I find offensive given my prior posts. You are either calling me a liar or you started talking/writing without listening/reading. Either way, you remind me of several Rennlisters I have observed, in my short time as a subscriber, who either shoot first and think second, or think they know everything there is to know about Porsches, so there can be no room for anyone else to have another opinion. Which brings me to the main point of this post.
For those of you who think any car, whether it's a GT3 or otherwise, is the end-all, is there any room in your thinking for any other opinion, and can you find a way to express yourself without being insulting?
I probably have more time in Porsches and more time on the track than most of you, but I feel I still have a lot to learn --which probably comes from my aviation background as a CFI where one learns humility and respect early on, or one becomes a statistic.
I would no more tell any of you who may disagree with me or my son to "wait for a Supercharged Mustang", or imply that you are among "most North Americans with funds who prefer the plush, bloated, luxo pseudo sport cars...." than I would tell you to go to hell. Incidentally, I guess my principal track car, the Shelby Cobra described earlier, really fits the description of plush and bloated, eh?
I posted Jr.'s thoughts about the GT3 in good faith (and at Watts suggestion, you rascal!!) for everyone's information. Jr. is entitled to his opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. And you should assume that his is as valid as yours. Especially at the point where you are now, where you don’t have a clue what his experience is in Porsches or at the track! In fact, it is considerable, in both cases, and for you to suggest that he’s never even driven a Porsche is frankly a characteristic that is going to get you into a lot of trouble some day if it hasn't already ---making assumptions, without a firm basis for doing so.
This Forum is definitely informational and fun. And, it could be a whole lot better if the few sour apples, (a) read all prior posts in a particular thread before writing theirs, (b) toned down their opinions to reflect the fact that there is only one God Almighty, (c) didn’t make a lot of false assumptions that led to other posts based on similar false assumptions, and in your case, DJF1, (d) learned to write or learn to use a spell and grammar checker!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

One other thought while I'm on a roll!
I believe I recall reading that Mario Andretti said the Maranello was his all-time favorite combination street/track car after putting it through its paces on the track. He loved how it handled at 200mph. "Rock solid", I believe he said.
So, if Mario likes the heavy, plush, Maranello, is he one of the "North Americans with funds who prefer the plush,bloated, luxo pseudo sport cars that are flooding our market..."?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:50 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Johninrsf,

You'd better watch out for that Watt!

Next thing you know, he'll want to sell you a GT2.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Colm,
You think it's broken in yet?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:26 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

johninfsf-i couldn't have said it any better. there are some board members who feel that they drive the only porsche worth driving. like you, i have flown for quite awhile, and have built up time in singles to jets over 15 years and 2000 hrs, and am interested to see people write about pretenders who drive soft cars like turbos. flying a plane will give you humility-i would like to see some of these pseudo-racers solo, even on a smooth day.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:35 PM
twisted
Advanced

This post and the 'GT3 vs 996TT' posts have been a blast to read ... a lot of people coming from V8 or turbo low RPM torque cars, to NA mid to higher rpm generating torque cars. So many to choice from, thank's Porsche for offering us so many!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

twisted-you are right. they are all good, there is no right answer. to each his own.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:49 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey John, allow me to play devils advocate for a second. No matter how many Porsches you have owned or driven, what kind of a reaction did you actually expect to get when you make a post on a Porsche board - with a total of 13 posts at the time - about turning down the GT3 for the exact same reasons most people want one? Perhaps your post would have been better received on the Shelby Cobra board? Then to say that you are going to get a harsher riding, harder to control at the limit, lower ride height GT2 just seems crazy to me. I would imagine most people here would not turn down $200k worth of cars based on a less than optimum test drive by your son, whom no one knows his experience level or the actual test drive circumstances. I can guarantee you that after living in Colorado for 5 years, and racing at every track there, a car - any car, turbo or not - is not going to operate at optimum levels at that altitude.

I say enjoy your cobra, buy a pair of Radicals and drive fast where it counts, not where it can kill.

E. J.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:01 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

I don't understand what was so offensive about DJF1's post. In fact, when I first read Johninrsf's opening post I thought the same thing: this guy is new to Porsche. I have several friends who have recently found themselves able to afford a Porsche for the first time. When they drive a 996 C2, coming from BMWs, their reaction is the same. The rear engine feels strange to them.

I don't think anyone was trying to insult you Johninrsf. They are just trying to make sense of some of the things you said. I have driven several different Porsches also (from the '59 Speedster to the new GT2, and much in between). I think the GT2/GT3 is closer to the "old" Porsche feel than the "regular" 996. Especially if you had a 930 turbo; I would expect you to feel more at home in a GT2/3 than a 996 turbo....

But, the driving experience is subjective. Everyone has their own experience behind the wheel.

If you are really considering a GT2, I highly recommend it. They are truly amazing machines.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:15 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally posted by Johninrsf
DJF1,
Your post has finally put me over the edge, so please feel free to take this personally.
I am new to Rennlist, but I am not new to Porsches. As I mentioned in this thread, I have owned three Porsches going back to 1974, including a Turbo. IN fact, I have driven Porsches for over 20 years. So, your first comment that I must not have ever driven a Porsche is one that I find offensive given my prior posts. You are either calling me a liar or you started talking/writing without listening/reading. Either way, you remind me of several Rennlisters I have observed, in my short time as a subscriber, who either shoot first and think second, or think they know everything there is to know about Porsches, so there can be no room for anyone else to have another opinion. Which brings me to the main point of this post.
For those of you who think any car, whether it's a GT3 or otherwise, is the end-all, is there any room in your thinking for any other opinion, and can you find a way to express yourself without being insulting?
I probably have more time in Porsches and more time on the track than most of you, but I feel I still have a lot to learn --which probably comes from my aviation background as a CFI where one learns humility and respect early on, or one becomes a statistic.
I would no more tell any of you who may disagree with me or my son to "wait for a Supercharged Mustang", or imply that you are among "most North Americans with funds who prefer the plush, bloated, luxo pseudo sport cars...." than I would tell you to go to hell. Incidentally, I guess my principal track car, the Shelby Cobra described earlier, really fits the description of plush and bloated, eh?
I posted Jr.'s thoughts about the GT3 in good faith (and at Watts suggestion, you rascal!!) for everyone's information. Jr. is entitled to his opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. And you should assume that his is as valid as yours. Especially at the point where you are now, where you don’t have a clue what his experience is in Porsches or at the track! In fact, it is considerable, in both cases, and for you to suggest that he’s never even driven a Porsche is frankly a characteristic that is going to get you into a lot of trouble some day if it hasn't already ---making assumptions, without a firm basis for doing so.
This Forum is definitely informational and fun. And, it could be a whole lot better if the few sour apples, (a) read all prior posts in a particular thread before writing theirs, (b) toned down their opinions to reflect the fact that there is only one God Almighty, (c) didn’t make a lot of false assumptions that led to other posts based on similar false assumptions, and in your case, DJF1, (d) learned to write or learn to use a spell and grammar checker!
Funny thing JohnRSR......aka SFI

I have been reading your posts...I wouldl like to post them for those who may have missed them.....
You pegged me correctly. I grew up with American muscle, and I love low-end torque. The GT3 may have plenty of low end for you, and that's great. But, I've been spoiled by my Shelby Cobra which weighs in at 2480 lbs. and sports a 565 HP Ford small block (that's 4.3 lbs/HP). It puts out over 500 ft/lbs of T starting at 2500 rpm and going up to 5500 rpm. With 335 Hoosiers on the back, it's a wild beast, but great fun at the track, and I'm still looking for a street legal Porsche to pass me on the track (not meant to be a challenge).
The unfortunate downside is that I've blown the motor twice in the last 12 months.
Having owned 3 Porshes over the years, I know their reliability, so my interest in the GT2 is to have a completely reliable and competitive back-up track car, as well as a fun occasional street driver. The GT3 was really my son's idea for us to have 2 identical cars on the track at the same time instead of his M3 and my Shelby Cobra. But, the power of the GT2 (with a few tweaks) will suit my style and background better than the GT3. After all, when my driving ability fails to keep me out front in the turns, there's nothing like some outrageous power applied in the straights to solve the problem.
Jr. drove a TT with the X50 option in the last few days, and came away saying the power was incredible, and the turbo lag didn't phase him a bit. He liked the whole experinece much better than the GT3. I don't know what he's going to do since he bailed on the GT3, but I'm gettin' enthusiastic about the GT2 for myself.
POWER CORRUPTS

You have some nerve! You come over to a Porsche board, and insult members, members that know more about driving on a bad day, than you could ever know on a good day. What is wrong with your alleged cobra, or shelby?.....oh...maybe it does not exist...cept in your feeble mind???Why .....dont you take a LONG walk off.............a short Pier!!!!!!.......I'm sure, YOU can walk on water!!!!

Quick Reply: Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s