Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:27 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Johninrsf,

Was that your Cobra out at SRP a couple of weeks ago?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by MetalSolid
Very basic interior
lumpy idle...Car actually jiggles
Rock hard suspension on normal streets....Totally unforgiving even compared to my BMW's that sport Dinan suspensions
Front end scraps the ground even on small bumps
Turning into corners is unsettling to say the least...like having two steering ratios that have a mind of their own
Stiff clutch pedal
Heavy steering feel

Reasons why I bought the GT3...
That's how I though immediately!

"very basic interior"... What do people expect? 8 cupholders, satellite navigation, dvd, playstation, leather this, leather that?

It's a real sports car fo heaven's sake, not a friggin' pimp mobile!
Old 10-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watt: Speaking as someone that knows firsthand how fast Boxsters depreciate I think it's safe to say if you put a GT3 motor in a 2001 Boxster S the motor will be worth more than the car. The same may apply to the 2002s in a few more months
Old 10-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by JC in NY
More evidence that we USA buyers are not ready for the Porsche Rennsport versions. Porsche left us out of the RS versions for decades, only attempting to sell us the anemic RS America which languished on dealer lots. We cried and cried "bring us the sport versions, we know better".

Now, they try again (GT3) and once again we don't want them. This is it folks, the last chance. After this it will be pure bloated luxury models coming here. If you want a Rennsport in the future you'll need to import one.

Porsche will be saying "Fool us once..."
JC, I totally agree on this.

I just hope there are enough "real" Porsche buyers so that Porsche doesn't stop after this try but when more and more about cupholders, automatic trannies and cadillac soft suspensions it seems more likely to not happend when the next "RS" comes around...
Old 10-01-2003, 11:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MetalSolid
Very basic interior
lumpy idle...Car actually jiggles
Rock hard suspension on normal streets....Totally unforgiving even compared to my BMW's that sport Dinan suspensions
Front end scraps the ground even on small bumps
Turning into corners is unsettling to say the least...like having two steering ratios that have a mind of their own
Stiff clutch pedal
Heavy steering feel

Reasons why I bought the GT3...

...and you're gonna get a GT2??
Glad to see at least two people who bought these cars for these exact reasons(I know there are other elated GT3 owners too). Ferdinand would be proud of us...

Sad to say but, America is getting soft and when Porsche AG cuts us off from these true all around performance vehicles, we will be left buying the stock American versions and having to spend all sorts of dough modding them out to try to attain the all around performance package we can get now in the GT2 and GT3.

Johninrsf,
Best of luck finding the car you want, but if you don't want any of the things listed above in your car, you will be barking up the wrong tree with a GT2... As you say "Turning into corners is unsettling with a GT3..." It definitely will be even more unsettling with the GT2's turbo power since you won't have the advantage of front drive wheels (AWD) saving your *** in a botched turn once the turbo's spool up...Something that can be done with a TT.

Respectfully,
A Eurphoric GT3 owner... :-)
Old 10-01-2003, 11:36 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great post Johannes. Porsche is damned if they do and damned if they don't - at least they don't lose money when they don't, eh.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Flying Finn
It's a real sports car fo heaven's sake, not a friggin' pimp mobile!
Flying Finn: Funny, that's what I said when Porsche decided to give the US the 911 Millenium Edition in 2000 rather than the Mk I GT3. No wait, what I said was "I want a sport car, not a friggin' pimp mobile!"
Old 10-01-2003, 11:42 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Steve...Do you like the *** avatar better than the whimpy tach??? I bet she revs more than 6200 rpm...he he
Old 10-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rockitman
Hey Steve...Do you like the *** avatar better than the whimpy tach??? I bet she revs more than 6200 rpm...he he
Most definitely I only wish the *** end of the GT3 looked that good. The 993 S models still win in that department IMO.

Last edited by Steve in FL; 10-02-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cab & Guy/Craig,
Yes, that was me. Are you referring to FATT, or the following Monday when the group came over from Seattle? Did we meet?
Will you be back at the track on the 17th?
Unfortunately, the Cobra is going back to CA for repairs, but I thought I'd come out and watch the fun and help Mark L. with his Porsche.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:30 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

the GT3 is what it is, more bare bones than most would expect for that kind of money, but on the performance end realize that the car was test driven in the canyons near Boulder Co...more than a mile up...that will totally effect the performance of any car...granted its never going to compare to cobra with a 560+ hp small block at any altitude...but give it its due, its still a sweet ride...
Old 10-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Scott5
Instructor

You're a lucky guy John - having the means to sharing the track w/ son in identical cars seems like a really neat idea.

Like many here, I find the complaints of the interior being too basic and the suspension too hard to be pretty odd seeing as most people who say that's what it's supposed to have! After all, those are fundamental to track cars.

But back to my original comment - I think you should stick to your plan to get identical cars. And dedicate these cars to the track so you don't have to worry about the real-road amenities.

For a whole lot less money than you were looking at, why not just get a pair of C2's, completely stripped down and modded for the track - lighten it, halogen fire kit, full cage, best suspension, etc. Obviously, these would not be close to the performance of either of the GT's mentioned above, but is it a top track car your after, or a pair of matched cars so you and your son can have the time of your lives without the car being part of the equation?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:25 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Screw that, why not get a pair or Radicals at half the cost each and go faster than any current Porsche save for the GT3RS race car?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

fwiw, there is a GT3 engined Boxster running around in RSF!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

ben

what is rsf?

and i assume it must be a mk I engine?? imagine in a boxster S... altho' greg says suspension mods required too.

i bet a gt3 engine cant be more than 25, a carrera motor is like 14, buy a used S for 30... and you got a superior track/canyon car...

Quick Reply: Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s