Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Brake Piston Ceramic Pucks? (rear)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone have Brake Piston Ceramic Pucks? (rear)

My understanding (right or wrong?) is that the ceramic pucks are a Porsche Motorsports part; I'm confused because everyone seems to have them on their cars, but the Dealer has no record of those.

I could apparently get them from PMNA, but would need to order the complete caliper overhaul kit at more $$ than I want to spend (they come with everything).

So, if anyone could spare a few, or could direct me to where I could purchase only the pucks, I would be grateful.

The ones I need are:

22 mm diameter at the small end (goes in to piston)
26.5 mm diameter at the larger end, per pictures.

Cheers
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

I needed some of those a few years ago and was able to get them from TRG, not sure if they still have them.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,830 Likes on 2,390 Posts

i dont think u can buy individual puck. you need this package, comes with 6 pucks (1 caliper). this is what i use on 996gt3 front caliper
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thx Mooty

Who do you buy from? looking to buy a kit myself but not finding a source.

Cheers!
Chris
Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont remember, likely my dealer? it's been a long time since i ran a 996gt3
Old 12-07-2015, 03:41 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thx Moot, I'm chasing this down now. I will post info once I have confirmed it. Looks like dealer is a no go as they want to sell complete caliper. I've got an alternate lead.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:30 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i got it.
i recall ordering from PMNA
yes dealer wants the whole caliper
PMNA will not sell retail. you need to find a shop that services cup cars.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:44 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I ordered individual piston from Zeckhausen racing.
It will be a Stoptech piston and about $100 each.

If you need more, there are complete kits you can buy from Racing Brake Performance brakes for $600 for two calipers including orings
Old 12-07-2015, 07:21 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, it sounds like it is indeed Porsche Motorsports.

I'll check with the local race shops, and if none available, I'll try TRG or Orbit.

Mine are for the rear BTW.

So, do any of you guys with these ceramic pucks know if they were on the car from stock? Or was this a mod?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgavem
I ordered individual piston from Zeckhausen racing.
It will be a Stoptech piston and about $100 each.

If you need more, there are complete kits you can buy from Racing Brake Performance brakes for $600 for two calipers including orings
Yeah, I had read about these 2 in another thread. I'll keep them in my back pocket for now, as I would rather not replace the pistons or overhaul the calipers; the crazy exchange rate makes everything pretty expensive for us Cannucks right now.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:50 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure the yellow pucks are stock. I tried my lead which I got through Jeff @ Rothsport, but the guys at Race Technologies in So Cal (Brembo distributors) can't get them. Weird. He said we have to go through the dealer for OEM stuff, so I guess it's either Zeckhausen, or some other race shop supplier. Porsche Motorsports might be the ticket, but I have not tried them yet. The calipers are considered OEM, so does this also mean these were run on the Cup cars too?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This is the way it works:
--the pucks are NOT available separately from anyone
--dealers do not have a part # for caliper rebuild kits, they want you to buy the whole caliper
--the rebuild kits come from Motorsport ONLY - and are for the cup cars which are the same parts as the street cars in this case
--Race Technologies / Brembo will not sell parts for OEM brakes - their agreement with Porsche does not allow this (common)
--the rebuild kits come with a piston which has the puck attached to it (glued) and inner seals for 1 caliper. it does not come with an outer dust seal, you will need to buy separately. dealers are able to order these.
--Your option to fix this issue is to order a rebuild kit and replace the piston with puck, order an aftermarket piston, or find a race shop that has some of these pucks laying around, oh, you may be able to order brembo pistons like their TI pistons if you have a race connection to Brembo.

Guys - get the puck retainers!!! Motorsport part # 997.352.086.91 These slide into the puck and piston and when the inevitable happens and the glue that holds the puck to the piston fails, when you pull your pads the little clip keeps the ceramic puck from falling on the ground and breaking, which is how these yellow pucks break! You'll need 20 of them.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:52 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a Brembo distributor and carry a full line of seals, dust boots and pistons...As well as sourcing PMNA parts.

The Zircon pucks are only available through PMNA.... Which will get harder to find now that PFC is the supplier of CUP braking systems. My contacts inform me that Brembo has not intention in making them for mass market sales now that they technically can offer them.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do offer a Ti puck... Pricey but a solid option.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
This is the way it works:
--the pucks are NOT available separately from anyone
--dealers do not have a part # for caliper rebuild kits, they want you to buy the whole caliper
--the rebuild kits come from Motorsport ONLY - and are for the cup cars which are the same parts as the street cars in this case
--Race Technologies / Brembo will not sell parts for OEM brakes - their agreement with Porsche does not allow this (common)
--the rebuild kits come with a piston which has the puck attached to it (glued) and inner seals for 1 caliper. it does not come with an outer dust seal, you will need to buy separately. dealers are able to order these.
--Your option to fix this issue is to order a rebuild kit and replace the piston with puck, order an aftermarket piston, or find a race shop that has some of these pucks laying around, oh, you may be able to order brembo pistons like their TI pistons if you have a race connection to Brembo.

Guys - get the puck retainers!!! Motorsport part # 997.352.086.91 These slide into the puck and piston and when the inevitable happens and the glue that holds the puck to the piston fails, when you pull your pads the little clip keeps the ceramic puck from falling on the ground and breaking, which is how these yellow pucks break! You'll need 20 of them.

Thank You man!

Quick Reply: Anyone have Brake Piston Ceramic Pucks? (rear)