Bilstein rebuild Service: UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Bilstein rebuild Service: UPDATE

Just a quick update.

I just got off the phone with Bilstein Motorsports Service in California and they informed me that they have a policy change and they no longer service OEM products, only aftermarket units.

I questioned the timing and was informed this was an outstanding policy that they are now enforcing (likely) due to asset allocation issues.

References for rebuilder shock tuners for stock 996 GT3 Dampers would be welcome. I did not really want to go aftermarket at this point.

Cheers!

Old 11-20-2015, 03:58 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

Odd, are you sure they were referencing the GT2/3 coilovers? they are 'motorsports' and not traditional Bilstein OEM fitted stuff..
I know Elephant Racing will do them...
Old 11-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Bilstein

I did question her and stated that these are coil overs. She said if they came with the car from the oem, even if their coil over, they will no longer rebuild them. I questioned this policy in regards to their Charlotte location and she informed me that this location does not perform service.

I was shocked to say the least!

Thanks
Old 11-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Kistle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck at Elephant did mine (996 GT3). Knowledgeable, helpful, capable and reliable. Includes dyno charting and tuning. Highly recommend.

JA
Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Rebuild

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll give them a ring.

Originally Posted by Kistle
Chuck at Elephant did mine (996 GT3). Knowledgeable, helpful, capable and reliable. Includes dyno charting and tuning. Highly recommend.

JA
Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

You can also contact Glenn Yee Motorsports.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default rebuild

Thanks I will contact them as well.

Now it's time to head to Los Altos, CA for a warmer holiday! 12" of wet snow and it's in the teens here in Chicago. Time to leave!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

I will be rebuilding my set of Bilsteins(either as stock for dad's TT or uprated valving for mine) over this winter as well, will update as I go, but think Elephant might be my route
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

There are a couple of alternatives that will retain the electronic functionality of the OEM PASM but simply better without the price increase making it cost prohibitive.

PM if you're interested.

CheeRS,

MJ
Old 11-25-2015, 04:42 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby
I was shocked to say the least!
I see what you did there.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
There are a couple of alternatives that will retain the electronic functionality of the OEM PASM but simply better without the price increase making it cost prohibitive.

PM if you're interested.

CheeRS,

MJ
You must thinking 997... pretty sure the 6s don't have PASM. I'm guessing that changes your list of applicable setups... can you outline some alternatives here?
Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, Glenn Yee Motorsports in San Dimas also has all the tricks like shock dyno / analysis too. I've seen him going through the detail process of analysis for a racer's ride.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:09 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct
You must thinking 997... pretty sure the 6s don't have PASM. I'm guessing that changes your list of applicable setups... can you outline some alternatives here?
You're 100% correct, I know the 6 GT3 (of which I had a white (fastest color, LOL) 2004) doesn't come with stock PASM. However, with some minor additions of a couple of modules and the correct dampers, you can simply get the best of both worlds. A fully adjustable, driver/computer controlled suspension specifically set-up with the click of a button for the type of driving you're going to be doing. Then simply click it again and your suspension is as docile as a '78 fleetwood Cadillac, should YOU want it that soft.

The interesting part of suspension set-ups and sales, is that usually, one of us goes out and spends way too much money to get a "dinosaurish" type suspension. Of course after spending that much money, said owner comes on the forums and rants and raves about how this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Immediately or inevitable I should say, a group will then got out and purchase the exact same suspension based on the original owner's review. And we do this without even knowing the owner's skill set, capabilities, and most important driving style. Then you go out on your new suspension and spend the next year sorting it out, unless someone comes on here asking "out of curiosity" asking what set up you're running.

Well those days are over, there are suspensions out there that gather as much information as possibles, not based on what others did at a different track under different conditions, but actually based on what you did on that particular day at that particular track. Then your computer is set up for you to maximize the car's as well as your performance. All this without compromising the "streetability" of your car.

The possibilities are truly endless, it's up to you to decide what you really want. If I wasn't clear or specific enough, PM me or call me 305.206.2060, I'd be more than happy to better explain myself.

Please let me know.

CheeRS,

MJ
Old 11-28-2015, 05:06 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

And back on topic...Anybody know of any Bilstein rebuild places in LA?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

This must be vw at work. Talking to another Porsche supplier and they have the same issues. They are forbidden by contract to sell or service parts for their parts that are sold Oem on the cars. Their comment was it didn't used to be like this.

Quick Reply: Bilstein rebuild Service: UPDATE