Sponsored by:

car value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM
nasa ser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car value?

I have been hiding in the woodwork on there sometime looking for a gt3 to purchase

I have found one for sale , two owner, excellent condition, current owner says never tracked, all stock (no modifications) but miles are higher than I would love, 75,000+ miles, any idea of what the current value of a gt3 in with those miles but in excellent condition would be? $65,000? higher? lower? just trying to get a feel for whether I might be overpaying in light of the higher miles on the car

thanks

Stephen

Last edited by nasa ser; 11-02-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
iamtheari
Advanced

Tracked or not is personal preference. If the car does not have a significant number of recent type 2 over-revs reported in the computer (type 1 over-revs are par for the course if you drive the car properly, long-ago type 2 over-revs that caused damage would have shown their damage by now, insignificant numbers of type 2 over-revs are probably not a concern) and drives nicely, then whatever happened on the track wasn't bad for the car.

Mileage is also personal preference. Some people like a car that has never been driven. I wouldn't ever want such a thing. If a car has gone 10 years and only been driven 100 miles per year, it obviously wasn't a very fun car to drive. It also was likely neglected (why change oil or tires on a car that you can't remember the last time you drove?)

I bought my 2004 GT3 with just under 50,000 miles. It needed an alignment, spark plugs, ignition coils, and a bath. Once it got all that, it blew me away at how great of a car it is. I can't fairly compare it to the 964 that I sold to make room for the GT3. They each sound, feel, and drive like a dream--just not the same dream. It's okay to have different dreams as long as they're all pleasant.

If it's a nice car, buy it. Price should be based on condition more than on mileage. After all, assuming the alignment is good, it has been recently maintained so you know the oil, tires, and so on are safe, and the gas tank is full, your immediate urge is going to be to keep driving until you put another 75,000 miles on it. It really is that fun. And you really can drive it every day. It's a 911 that way, and it's the best of the breed.

On pricing, color may also be a factor. White cars seem to fetch higher prices. Unusual colors also fetch higher prices. Yellow cars are personal preference and the market reflects the reduced number of people wanting one although those who want yellow really want it badly. Depending on color and condition, if you can get it for $65,000 you should drive it away before the seller notices your smile.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:00 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Great info from previous post.^

How are you planning to use the car?
If you plan to track a lot there are probably better set up cars for sale. It's expensive to upgrade these cars. Not saying they are bad stock. Take advantage of previous owners upgrades.

As an investment?
To many miles.

As a weekend fun car it fits the bill if ppi checks out.

Good luck
Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
nasa ser
Advanced

thanks for the responses, helps to here what the owners on here think....

car has one type 1 over rev,

my plan is weekend car/investment in the sense that my hope is the value will stay the same and maybe go up (like it said, weekend car to drive everyweekend but not a daily driver (have an e90 m3 4 door 6 speed to shuttle the kids to school in)......
Old 11-02-2015, 02:38 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by nasa ser
thanks for the responses, helps to here what the owners on here think.... car has one type 1 over rev, my plan is weekend car/investment in the sense that my hope is the value will stay the same and maybe go up (like it said, weekend car to drive everyweekend but not a daily driver (have an e90 m3 4 door 6 speed to shuttle the kids to school in)......
Sounds like a good car for what you have in mind.

No one knows about the future of these cars.

Pretty sure if you get it for a decent price you won't loose to much. The mileage would probably kill the hope of making money of it. Just my $0.02
Old 11-02-2015, 03:09 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reality of 996 GT3 market is that the cars appear to change hands for more realistic prices than are being asked. These cars also tend to be on the market for 3-6 months before finding the right buyer, unless you're talking about a no stories car with desirable color/condition/options at a fair price. For example, the lapis blue which recently sold around $70k with only 30k miles. When you're talking about 996 GT3 with 50-60k miles, I think the clearing price is closer to $60k for a well-maintained example with no deal breakers like ones mentioned by others in this thread. 75k-90k miles cars I'd imagine would change hands in the $50-55k range, but that's just my opinion based on data points I've observed in 2015. It's a very niche vehicle that's no longer the fastest thing out there but has a good combination of reliability, simplicity, legacy, and performance.

Pricing is certainly stronger now than it was in the past few years though.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:34 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
The reality of 996 GT3 market is that the cars appear to change hands for more realistic prices than are being asked. These cars also tend to be on the market for 3-6 months before finding the right buyer, unless you're talking about a no stories car with desirable color/condition/options at a fair price. For example, the lapis blue which recently sold around $70k with only 30k miles. When you're talking about 996 GT3 with 50-60k miles, I think the clearing price is closer to $60k for a well-maintained example with no deal breakers like ones mentioned by others in this thread. 75k-90k miles cars I'd imagine would change hands in the $50-55k range, but that's just my opinion based on data points I've observed in 2015. It's a very niche vehicle that's no longer the fastest thing out there but has a good combination of reliability, simplicity, legacy, and performance. Pricing is certainly stronger now than it was in the past few years though.
You nailed it. For reference I bought a 55k mile car last fall for $45k! I know the market has changed since then, my car had at least $20k in upgrades for track use. Which fitted my intended use. A mint low mile car could and maybe should command a premium. But I really can't see a stock 75k mile command more than $55k
Old 11-02-2015, 08:51 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Maintenance and vehicle history...what is it?

Regardless of miles...have 5k miles and zero maintenance or vehicle history, I wouldn't even consider it. Too much risk. Have 75k miles and every single part and dime spent on the car has been documented (with hard copy paperwork) since 2004? Much more comfortable with the sale...

Is the car known to the forum? I was lucky and was able to get a history of the car via the forum...
Old 11-02-2015, 11:09 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not following the market to buy or sell but I can provide a weak data point. The County just sent me a huge tax bill for my 2004 GT3. My car has 44k miles and they have it appraised at $64k in value. The taxman cometh....
Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

F**K VA taxation!

At least CA's yearly registration isn't based on value of the car
Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember- it's 10+ years old. All the hoses - fittings, etc must be gone over. Service records on wheel bearings, tires, etc.Expect to throw at least $5-$10 at it.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:16 PM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenB
I am not following the market to buy or sell but I can provide a weak data point. The County just sent me a huge tax bill for my 2004 GT3. My car has 44k miles and they have it appraised at $64k in value. The taxman cometh....
They did the same to me in Fairfax county. I got an initial bill with a valuation at $64,100, and sent a complaint to dtappd@fairfaxcounty.gov. They responded with: "I looked up the valuation and it is a little higher that it should be. It should have been $51,280 instead of $64, 100. It should have been valued at 80 percent of the clean trade in value in the NADA guide."

Bottom line was a refund of $586.

It was definitely worth the email!

-Larry
Old 11-13-2015, 03:43 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
F**K VA taxation!

At least CA's yearly registration isn't based on value of the car
It's not? Pretty sure there is a line item based upon DMV's valuation (not actual) since that amount can be deducted from your taxess.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doubleurx
It's not? Pretty sure there is a line item based upon DMV's valuation (not actual) since that amount can be deducted from your taxess.
I guess part of it is...but not to the extent of VA.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:11 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

how would you feel about these over revs???

Quick Reply: car value?