Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015 | 04:18 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Default Recent Maintenance

My 6-3 now has 54K miles on the clock, and runs like a raped Ape. It's been 25K miles since the old girl had a new set of plugs though. While I'm in there, should I also change out the coils with fresh, even if there are no signs of problems? I looked through all receipts and could not find that coils have ever been refreshed.

I just finished with a new water pump; T-stat; air filter, fresh oil and filter, fresh Trans flush and fluid, fresh fuel filter; new serpentine belt, and cabin filter. All that's left is plugs and maybe coils....

Coolant lines have been welded; new brake rotors and pads recently; SRF brake fluid 1 year ago

Is there anything else I should consider at this point? Cheers all
Old 09-24-2015 | 06:03 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'd go ahead and do coils if they haven't been done already (996 part number on them should be a dead give-away).

Check axles and wheel bearings, beyond that sounds like you've got most of it covered!
Old 09-24-2015 | 07:09 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Any need to do radiators at 10-11 years old and around 50k miles? Or are they generally good till 100k regardless of age? Was thinking of upgrading to CSF radiators when they do get replaced...

Mine look pretty beat up but I don't see any seeping or leaking...
Old 09-24-2015 | 09:49 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys: I just did the plugs. All of them were finger tight, literally finger tight. I've read several posts that make the same claim.... I wonder why... maybe the car has been losing compression. The coils were the 996 part numbers, so def original. I would have changed them but have not ordered yet, so next step.....coils.

It took me a few hours doing it slowly, next time I'll get them 10-15 mins each. The two rear most plugs were the more challenging to get to, but overall a fairly easy job. Doing the coils will be a breeze.

How does one check axles and wheel bearings?

Thanks for the ideas guys. Josh, I didn't even look at the radiators, but plan to now.

Cheers!!!!
Old 09-25-2015 | 11:26 AM
KenW
Rennlist Member

I'm still figuring out "raped ape" as in, WHAT rapes an ape?
Old 09-25-2015 | 12:16 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

You know, I'm not sure I ever thought about it.... I just Googled it and it seems to refer to a fast car. It was used in the muscle car world in the 60's to denote such a car. I've always used it and never really considered it. Funny that
Old 09-25-2015 | 01:01 PM
iamtheari
Advanced

How did you get to the plugs to change them? I know of a couple of different approach angles, none of which sounds pleasant to me. My plugs and coils were changed by my friend who drove the car home from the previous owner for me (my schedule didn't allow it and having a good mechanic drive it home was a lot safer and cheaper than trucking it). He went through the wheel wells and it was quite a reach. Another guy I talked to took off the rear bumper to get to them.

My vote is to change the coils. For a couple hundred bucks you'll never regret it, compared with one going bad about 100 miles after you button the car back up from doing the plugs.
Old 09-25-2015 | 01:02 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KenW
First time I heard it (this video is A LOT older than 2011):
Old 09-25-2015 | 02:16 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iamtheari
How did you get to the plugs to change them? I know of a couple of different approach angles, none of which sounds pleasant to me. My plugs and coils were changed by my friend who drove the car home from the previous owner for me (my schedule didn't allow it and having a good mechanic drive it home was a lot safer and cheaper than trucking it). He went through the wheel wells and it was quite a reach. Another guy I talked to took off the rear bumper to get to them.

My vote is to change the coils. For a couple hundred bucks you'll never regret it, compared with one going bad about 100 miles after you button the car back up from doing the plugs.
Thanks, I just ordered the coils. $250 all in. Good deal!

I backed the car onto a pair of ramps and worked from under the car on either side. Once I removed the heat shields on either side, access was OK. The two plugs closest to the rear bumper were the toughest, but with patience and angling your body in different ways, I was able to get in there. I used two smaller extensions on a 1/4 drive ratchet and was able to get the tools in and out with relative ease. YMMV.

I may have an advantage tough....my stock mufflers are long gone, replaced by Cargraphics cans, so that may make it a little easier than it would be in a pure stock scenario, given the extra space afforded as compared to the stock units, but honestly, I'm not sure. What surprised me the most was how loose the plugs were. In 5 out of 6 cases, I could turn the plugs by hand.
Old 09-25-2015 | 02:37 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I changed my plugs without removing the rear bumper and has stock exhaust system. So it can be done.. !
Old 09-25-2015 | 04:37 PM
iamtheari
Advanced

I guess I'll find out in 50,000 miles or so.
Old 09-25-2015 | 05:11 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by KenW
Another ape. But larger and randier
Old 09-25-2015 | 08:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

this is a killer tool for porsche plug changes. magnetic plug holder, swivel built into the socket.
GearWrench 80547 13/16-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket - Gearwrench Magnetic Swivel - Amazon.com GearWrench 80547 13/16-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket - Gearwrench Magnetic Swivel - Amazon.com
Old 09-25-2015 | 11:33 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

my tool looked like that, except mine sported blue painters tape in lieu of the magnet worked like a charm!
Old 09-25-2015 | 11:41 PM
iamtheari
Advanced

Does the GearWrench 6-inch-long socket give you enough length to grab it and pull it out if your wrench/extension pulls free of the socket end of it while the magnet holds firmly onto the spark plug you just put in? If so, I'll be ordering one promptly as that has been the biggest headache for me when it comes to magnetic spark plug sockets.

Quick Reply: Recent Maintenance