Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficult blipping throttle on down shifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015 | 11:23 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Default Difficult blipping throttle on down shifts

It's hard to explain but whilst healing and toeing and rev matching on downshifts I find it (too) hard modulating the throttle. It's especially the case where the engine speeds are relatively low, where the engine seems to lack an instantaneous response to the throttle (required to be accurate). Wasn't always this way and I suppose after and exhaust change might be the time it came to my attention. Throttle works as it should in normal modulation. I know it can be better as it was great when I first bought the car. It's subtle but it's annoying me.

Any others experienced this or have any ideas of the cause? Could be throttle cable resistance or in the throttle it's self, or?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2015 | 05:22 AM
runet
Racer

There is no throttle cable in mk2, and most likely it's due to dual mass flywheel (slow to rev). See if you can find someone with single mass flywheel to try their throttle response.
Old 09-12-2015 | 05:40 AM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Got single mass FW should have said.
Old 09-12-2015 | 02:02 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

That has happened to me as well, and I think the fly by wire is slightly to blame. Have you had the battery disconnected recently? If so, the car may be remapping your style to some degree. It happened to me after a battery disconnect, not so much now. I find that by stabbing the throttle a little deeper, I avoid the lag you describe.

I prefer a throttle cable frankly.
Old 09-12-2015 | 04:14 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Where are you putting your foot on throttle and brake? Some people use ball of foot and catch the pedal with their right toes. Others use classic forefoot and brake and heel on gas. I started with the former, but different cars didn't let me use the "roll the foot" method and I adjusted to the latter which I now prefer. Thats just me.

Under race track hard braking, the blip is easy because your foot is well planted and an easy fulcrum for whichever part of foot you use on the throttle. On light braking you need more nuance.

Don't monkey with the throttle and linkage. Thats a band aide.. Really work on blipping under very light braking so that you can mentally program your feet to separate the pressure on the brake from the pressure on the throttle.

There is also rhythm at play here. You blip and the engine goes up and then back down - faster with a light weight flywheel. So your blip could be perfect in measure, but if your shift is late the engine will have dropped back in speed more than you wanted.

practice...

Originally Posted by lotusGT3
It's hard to explain but whilst healing and toeing and rev matching on downshifts I find it (too) hard modulating the throttle. It's especially the case where the engine speeds are relatively low, where the engine seems to lack an instantaneous response to the throttle (required to be accurate). Wasn't always this way and I suppose after and exhaust change might be the time it came to my attention. Throttle works as it should in normal modulation. I know it can be better as it was great when I first bought the car. It's subtle but it's annoying me.

Any others experienced this or have any ideas of the cause? Could be throttle cable resistance or in the throttle it's self, or?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2015 | 04:45 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Whilst I'm not a great driver the 1 thing I'm excellent at it heel and toe down changes. No operator error here. It's more in the engine response to throttle input. Also can't see how you could actually heel with a floor hinged pedal. This link (think for 997s) is in the right territory in terms of describing the issue and the suggested fix. Not sure if it applies to the 996.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tle-reset.html

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-19-2015 | 10:38 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

check your transmission mount- change it out & get insert. You might be incorrect in thinking its the throttle.

Quick Reply: Difficult blipping throttle on down shifts