Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Water Pump

Its time to change my water pump, leaking. Which pump do you guys reccommend? There are composite pumps and metal blade pumps, both which appear to be OEM. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Its time to change my water pump, leaking. Which pump do you guys reccommend? There are composite pumps and metal blade pumps, both which appear to be OEM. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks
Only had to replace one Porsche water pump -- in my Boxster -- oh check that I had to replace the one in the Turbo too -- and in both cases I went with, had the tech use what the parts manager shoved over the counter to the Porsche tech.

The factory installed Boxster water pump lasted 172K miles and the factory installed Turbo water pump lasted around 120K miles. I'm happy with the longevity and neither suffered any mechanical failure. The Boxster pump got a bit grumbly and the Turbo water pump developed a leak.

Also, I was always taught when changing the water pump replace the T-stat too. In fact I was advised to "test" the old T-stat and the new one in a pot of water on the stove to verify the new T-stat opened at the right temperature and fully opened. The old one was there to provide a reference as to how the new T-stat was working. This assumes the old T-stat was working ok to begin with, of course, which is most of the time.

(I can assure you the techs don't bother with this, but simply rely upon new T-stat being ok right out of the box.)

Unless the coolant is "fresh" this could be a good time to replace the old coolant with a proper mix of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water. For this you probably want to consider getting some kind of a vacuum lift system that draws a vacuum on the cooling system then with the flip of a valve allows this vacuum draw in a fresh mix of coolant from some reservoir filled of course with fresh coolant.

This helps ensure the cooling system is filled with no air pockets and without the horrible procedure of getting the engine hot then topping up and repeat over and over again as one works the air pockets out of the system.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:23 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks Macster. Great info. I'm def goint to change the t stat, and probably do plugs and serp belt too. I'm ordering today so if someone has a brand name I should go for, I'll do it, otherwise I'll take the one they say is OEM. Many Thanks!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My race shop installed a 997 OEM water pump. I think he said the 997 has a welded pipe which improves on the 996.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Number54
My race shop installed a 997 OEM water pump. I think he said the 997 has a welded pipe which improves on the 996.
Welded?!
Why not just glued?
Old 09-07-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd use OEM. There was a thread on here by user Berger who had really bad luck x2 with aftermarket pumps.

FWIW - the pump itself doesn't have any pipes attached to it, the fitting that it sits inside has the fittings.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Suncoast has recently reduced the price on the Porsche part, which has been more reliable than the 3rd party options.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...610634071.html

Quick Reply: Water Pump