Old 08-15-2015, 09:50 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JarmoL
OEM CS cage for sale in Germany.
http://tinyurl.com/qbh229e
I can get a new one shipped to Australia for less than what that would end up costing shipped. Thanks for the link though, I wouldn't be opposed to a used one if the price worked.

Originally Posted by Kaizu
I get the point 100% but the old CS cage is not bad, if you have your seat mounted low. Have you tried that kind of car? More problems with the new 997 CS front section in my opinion.

Also, if you use harness also on street its much better. I've seen too many difficult roll overs with these 996's with only half cage on track....You are risking too much on track without full cage if you are driving competitively. You won't lose the car on a low speed corner but could do so in a fast speed corner. I would think about the probabilities. Better to take a minimal risk on the street (with low mounted seat and 6-point harness it's minimal, but of course it's there) with your amount of competitive track driving.
I agree with you, the fixed back seats have you quite low in the car and your head is a long way away from where the cage would be. I always strap myself into the harness when on spirited drives so it doesnt bother me too much. This is the cage in my old Lotus Exige...

It was downright dangerous for the street

Name:  exige2_zpscb678dcb.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  69.5 KB
Old 09-19-2015, 10:08 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Still on the hunt for a genuine Porsche cage for my 996...a used 997 clubsport cage has come up for sale locally. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this will fit into the 996? I've read some suggestions that the 996 cage does not fit into 997 but that 997 does fit into 996???
Old 09-19-2015, 09:18 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizu
I get the point 100% but the old CS cage is not bad, if you have your seat mounted low. Have you tried that kind of car? More problems with the new 997 CS front section in my opinion.

Also, if you use harness also on street its much better. I've seen too many difficult roll overs with these 996's with only half cage on track....You are risking too much on track without full cage if you are driving competitively. You won't lose the car on a low speed corner but could do so in a fast speed corner. I would think about the probabilities. Better to take a minimal risk on the street (with low mounted seat and 6-point harness it's minimal, but of course it's there) with your amount of competitive track driving.
the problem with this theory is when you are strapped in with a harness your head will snap around without a hans device. the use of a factory seatbelt allows the body to move and reduce the head snap. its not perfect but infinitly safer than driving with a cage and harness and no helmet or hans. you can have a street car or a track car. its difficult to safely have both
Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Still on the hunt for a genuine Porsche cage for my 996...a used 997 clubsport cage has come up for sale locally. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this will fit into the 996? I've read some suggestions that the 996 cage does not fit into 997 but that 997 does fit into 996???
My 6GT3 has a full 997 (front and rear) cage in it. Fits fine. Forget about using your headlight switch however and the passenger side mirror is almost unusable.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:37 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
My 6GT3 has a full 997 (front and rear) cage in it. Fits fine. Forget about using your headlight switch however and the passenger side mirror is almost unusable.
Thanks for the post, great to hear that it fits. Have you got any pics of yours in the car? The front section of the 997 is quite beefy and costs an absolute bomb - more than the rear half. looks similar to the 996 Motorsport option with the dual a pillar bars correct? Only thing I don't like about the 997 cage is that the harness bar is all the way in the back. Can only think they put it back there to allow more movement of the sliding seat?

Ideally I'd like to get hold of a front section of the 996 clubsport cage to use with the 997 rear as its a lot simpler and probably a bit safer on the street than the 997 front half.

Quick Reply: OEM full roll cage options