Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ! Oil pressure warnings on my 2nd sensor !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ! Oil pressure warnings on my 2nd sensor !!

Hi All, I've read through every post relating to the intermittently failing oil pressure sensors

I too had this problem, and purchased a new sensor from Porsche, installed it and after a short reprieve, I have seen the issue intermittently pop up again, then disappear for hours.

Car is a GT3 996.2 2004 model

Here are the steps I've taken

1/ Changed oil (0-40 Mobil 1) and inspected (no metal particles, very clean)
2/ changed oil filter and inspected (again clean)
3/ checked oil level both electronically and via dipstick - full (both before and after oil change)
4/ Installed a t-piece fitting before the sender to monitor oil pressure manually via a mechanical gauge (cold pressure at fast idle is around 110psi....is that too high?? / hot and idle is between 30-40psi) Unfortunately I didn't keep the gauge on long enough as one of the fitting started to weep oil, I had planned to take the car for a long drive and watch both dash and mechanical gauge and compare....especially when the warnings occur...which can take hours...
5/ Purchased yet another oil sender and installed, same issue after a while
6/ Dash shows oil pressure pegged at 5 bar at any rpm over 2000rpm, sometimes even as low as 1800rpm

The issue is very intermittent, but really takes the fun out of the car

Has anyone had this after changing the sender?

Car operates just fine with no strange noises, even during the reported zero oil pressure situations.

My theory is my car is producing oil pressure which is too high and damaging the sender, if you read the side of the sender, it has stamped "0-5 Bar" This is 70psi right, so producing 110psi + is way out of range for that gauge.

Keen for everyone's thoughts on this, and also if someone has watched oil pressure on a mechanical gauge
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Hi All, I've now ordered a separate electric gauge (0-14 Bar with an alarm) that I'll mount temporarily in the car with me so I can actually see the factory gauge and the aftermarket work at the same time, this will prove (to me at least) once and for all that there is nothing wrong with the engine....or the 3 senders that have been fitted in the last month...but more a problem elsewhere....like cluster or wiring / connectors.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.....hoping to get this sorted so I can using the car in anger.....not a fun start to GT3 ownership
Old 07-31-2015, 11:37 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Tell me about it -- I've had heart failure three times so far the past few weeks as the Low Oil Level warning pops up for about 1.25 seconds. Everyone says, "not to worry - it's a GT3 thing" yeah, but I still have palpitations.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:49 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porschedog
Tell me about it -- I've had heart failure three times so far the past few weeks as the Low Oil Level warning pops up for about 1.25 seconds. Everyone says, "not to worry - it's a GT3 thing" yeah, but I still have palpitations.
Hi Porschedog, from what I see on this and other forums, a simple sender unit change fixes the problem for most....or so it seems, my issue has continued, so I guess I'm interested in hearing from others that have had the issue continue after a sender change, one owner had a cluster change to fix the problem !!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

I just got the Low Oil Level light/buzzer 5 times in the last three miles driving home. Seems to be plenty of oil back there, but it is still unnerving.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Hi All, I'm getting closer, check this out, my car is not even running and it's showing over 1 bar of oil pressure !!! But the most interesting part....I bump (more like a hard slap) my cluster and it goes back to zero....
Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

I have noticed that it is most likely to occur when the car has warmed up and in neutral such as when coasting to a stop sign.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:06 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Update: changed the oil, made sure it actually was full and so far all is well. Dumbazz techs at previous indy apparently did not fill it as much as they thought (and charged me) they had. Fluid level read full, but was not so much.

Quick Reply: HELP ! Oil pressure warnings on my 2nd sensor !!