Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lap at the Nurburgring with a 6T3

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:57 AM
vilfredo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a relly smooth and fluent drive. I particularly like Fuchsröhre and Pflanzgarten II (when your helmet hits the camera). Thank you for sharing anyway.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Joe [FRA]
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Marcus,

We seem to have the same taste in cars

I haven't been able to sell my Speedster, as I do consider as the perfect symetry or opposite to the GT3.

GT3 is powerful, with a fantastic engine, and a chassis that "does the job" (based on my experience with PS2 tires only, as I'm willing to learn to drive with those tires).
The "drive feeling" is good, but to me, it's mainly based on this fantastic engine.

The Speedster is the perfect opposite : a fantastic chassis, and an engine that "does (almost) the job".
However the driving feeling is just marvellous, and you know that this is clearly not because of the engine... but becase "all the rest".

For our US friends who've never heard of this fantastic car, here is a short video to illustrate how fun it is to drive (by the way on this track, GT3 with PS2 is not faster ) :

Cheers,

Joe
Old 07-23-2015, 01:06 PM
vilfredo
Instructor

Joe,

you're absolutely right, especially when talking about the 2.2. While not weak per se, the engine sucks with respect to willigness to rev. Sound is inacceptable. Living in Germany, however, the engine does matter to me, so I decided to change cars and have enjoyed the power since then.

What I like most about the Speedster is the steering: smallest possible legal steering wheel coupled with an unsupported steering (no power steering)! One only gets this feeling in an Opel Speedster or a Lotus Elise.

Have watched your video: I have hardly come across anybody who can drift a Speedster due to its mid engine. How do you manage? Well done. My driving skills were clearly insufficient for this.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM
vilfredo
Instructor

Let's get back to the GT3: For me, it was clear, I want to stick to Michelin because of their durability. However, I recently upgraded the car from PS2 to PS Cup 2. Given your skills and passion, this might be worth a considerarion for you, too.

(no worries, it will still give you enough confidence and grip to drive back from the Nürburgring to France in the rain)
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for posting and great vids!

For some reason there seems to be some recalcitrance to posting track vids on this board.

Wish more Posters would do it (and with data).... you know who you are

We have a great theoretical repository here.

Oh, and I have searched, lol
Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Joe [FRA]
Intermediate

Thanks Marcus for your feedback regarding the PSC2, I also heard that they're much better in the rain than the PSC1, and that the durability has been dramatically improved (a friend of mine "killed" is PSC1 (rear left) with only 2 track days, and no drift, just fast and circa 300km on the track per day).

I have one more PS2 set (brand new, on another wheel set) to use & kill, then I'll come to the PSC2 I guess.
I'm a bit worried regarding impact on brakes, wheels alignment, dampers and wheel bearings (meaning that more grip means more effort on those elements), but as ones says "we live only once" so I couldn't die without testing PSC2 on track lol

Here's one cool pic of my 6T3.
Should be back to the Ring on Oct 23rd, to finish laps I couldn't drive last time (lot of track closing on Saturday pm )

Cheers,

Joe
Old 07-24-2015, 04:36 PM
keep it lit
Intermediate

Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry no video but some pics from the last 2 days at DN12, epic days! Perfect weather and the best selection of cars, even a 991RS and GT4.

Name:  DN12C_0116R.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  DN12C_0549R.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  117.9 KB

Name:  DN12C_0912R.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  DN12C_1000R.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  103.9 KB

been passed by a friend in a 997.2RS

Name:  DN12A_0773R.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  185.3 KB

shortly followed by being passed by another friend in a 993GT2 just seen behind.

Name:  DN12A_0774R.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  182.5 KB
Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Thanks for posting and great vids!

For some reason there seems to be some recalcitrance to posting track vids on this board.

Wish more Posters would do it (and with data).... you know who you are

We have a great theoretical repository here.

Oh, and I have searched, lol
Agreed. I love seeing track videos that feature the 996 GT3, even on tracks that I've never visited. The 997 GT3 subforum has a sticky thread for people to post up links to track videos. I wish we had the same here.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Porsche 996 GT3 mk1 CS

Old 07-25-2015, 05:22 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
Looks like fun! Thanks for posting. I've only ever driven the Ring once, back in 2011. I was new to tracking, and had no idea what I was doing, but I had a blast. Seeing and hearing so many GT3's screaming past me on the Green Hell is what inspired me to buy a GT3 when I got home. I would love to ship my car back over there one day and spend 2-3 days learning that track.

Below is a short video of a few laps around Barber Motorsports, a very nice track in the southern US. This was a PCA event with perfect conditions, sunny and very cool. Only my second time at this track in dry conditions (not my home track), and I'm still experimenting with different lines. I'm on street tires (Yok AD08).

Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 AM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
Sorry no video but some pics from the last 2 days at DN12, epic days! Perfect weather and the best selection of cars, even a 991RS and GT4.

shortly followed by being passed by another friend in a 993GT2 just seen behind.

S, love the black front plate. I assume you are taking an acceptable risk with UK Kojak. Have you been stopped anywhere? Also, is the rear plate black background too?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:35 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish

Since our cars are basically twins, this is as close I will ever get to seeing a pic of "my" car on the ring, as sadly I will never be able to take it there. Thanks for posting!

OP and all other vids in this thread, awesome.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM
vilfredo
Instructor

@all not living in Europe: too bad you'll not experience the Nürburgring in your own car. I'm currently in the US and have been touring the country for almost four weeks, yet, of course, without my GT3. Would have loved to drive it at Laguna Seca as I also stayed in Monterey, CA. Can't wait to go back to Germany (tomorrow).

@Dervish: great license plate color. On the last picture, there're seems to be a 993 GT2 or 993 RS 3.8 behind you. Great machine, too. What event was this?

Marcus
Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LaSource
S, love the black front plate. I assume you are taking an acceptable risk with UK Kojak. Have you been stopped anywhere? Also, is the rear plate black background too?
So far nothing and I've been passed plenty of Police. I only replaced as a rock smashed the front plate, looked like a bullet hole, still have it in case I get 'asked' to go legal. Only the front plate is black, back is legal yellow.

Originally Posted by vilfredo
@Dervish: great license plate color. On the last picture, there're seems to be a 993 GT2 or 993 RS 3.8 behind you. Great machine, too. What event was this?
It's a parts accurate rep using a 993Turbo base. All panels are original factory GT2, it's an beautiful machine and even though a rep worth quite a large amount. Guy knows how to drive it too (member of here), had a few passenger laps, it shifts!

Event was Destination Nurburgring 12 (DN12 for short). DN13 is happening end of Sept, still places, I highly recommend these events.

Quick Reply: A lap at the Nurburgring with a 6T3