Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first track day with the GT3: loose rear end under heavy breaking, very bouncy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM
skyline23
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I hear tony knows how to setup a car he does many fast drivers in norcal. That wiggle is usually a diff, but you said its newer.

What pressures?
What brake pads f/r?

I also think that with that stiff of spring you need to go heavier on the compression/rebound. What does JRZ suggest in the manual as a starting point? The front end is loading up and if the back end is rebounding to fast and not staying set it could give that unsettling feeling.

I was running about 34-35 front, 36-37 rear...I forgot my accurate tire pressure gauge so was using a POS one that only measured in increments of 5, unfortunately..

Brake pads were an unknown track pad in front and street pads in rear, they came with the car and for my first event I just wanted to get the hang of the car so knew I wouldnt be too hard on it...I ordered a set of PFC 08 front and rear and will be putting those on before my next event..

Not sure what the owner's manual states for JRZ, but your comment is in line with Tony at TC design that I should increase compression now as well..I have Laguna Seca coming up in two weeks so with the new brake pads, more "broken in" tires, and more compression I will see how it goes..thanks so much for all the responses, guys!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Get a thermal gun before you go to measure tire temps.

Amazon.com: Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Non-contact Digital Laser IR Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun, Yellow/Black: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Non-contact Digital Laser IR Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun, Yellow/Black: Home Improvement

I aim for 32 F and 33 R pressures on NT01.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:04 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

I have both. I prefer a needle tire temp gauge. Just under the skin will give you a more accurate temp, unless you come off hot (no cool down lap) and have someone jump on them right away.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skyline23

Brake pads were an unknown track pad in front and street pads in rear ....
That could be your problem right there. My home track (NOLA) has a fast main straight with heavy braking at the end. I used to get quite a bit of tail end wiggle in the braking zone, even with track pads front and rear. When I changed to a staggered pad compound - more aggressive pads on the rear than the front - the wiggle disappeared completely. If you have hard biting track pads on the front end and wimpy street pads on the rear, you have the stagger opposite of what it should be. Not saying that is the only problem, but it's definitely a good place to start.

Quick Reply: first track day with the GT3: loose rear end under heavy breaking, very bouncy...