Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT3 street tires - what are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015 | 06:41 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by christallon
Thanks everyone. I had the AD08R's installed over the weekend. I drove the car home and am now going to mess with tire pressures. Currently bled down to 34/37 cold. They came out of the tire shop in the mid 40's F&R so the car was def fidgety. I did have a chance to lean in a little on a favorite freeway on ramp and was impressed with the initial bite and grip, even at the higher tire pressures. I look forward to enjoying them as they wear in and at the lower pressures. I'm so far happy with the choice. Thanks again for all the input here
I've been using a few psi below that for the street (32/33 cold) per Powerhound's recommendation and it's been working great even in cold temps (40s F / 5-10C). Here's the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post12541030

I've got no experience with the car at track/autocross yet but I'm expecting big things

Last edited by mistermct; 12-21-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-21-2015 | 11:07 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I saw that post. I will give it a try and report back. Cheers!
Old 12-22-2015 | 04:53 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mistermct
I've been using a few psi below that for the street (32/33 cold) per Powerhound's recommendation and it's been working great even in cold temps (40s F / 5-10C). Here's the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post12541030

I've got no experience with the car at track/autocross yet but I'm expecting big things
I was just going to ask that question...this is what I run on the track (hot) but also now doing the same pressures on the street (cold). I think Porsche recommends 32/36 for the street on our cars? Have tried this and even at "just legal" street speeds the rear end wants to let go when accelerating out of a corner.
Old 12-22-2015 | 02:35 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by spiller
I was just going to ask that question...this is what I run on the track (hot) but also now doing the same pressures on the street (cold). I think Porsche recommends 32/36 for the street on our cars? Have tried this and even at "just legal" street speeds the rear end wants to let go when accelerating out of a corner.
My door card has 32f/39r which I think would be dicey on the street with these tires. I can only suspect that those numbers work with the OEM N-spec tires of last decade...
Old 12-22-2015 | 02:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Regardless of tire (track NT-01, street Sumis) I'm using much smaller r-f psi diffs (1-2psi tops), if any at all. Car drives much better (more neutral) that way. I don't think I've ever even experienced a 6gt3 with a 7psi r-f diff. It was probably suggested as a way to minimize potential liability by introducing plenty under-steer. Most shops who know GT3s recommend that you keep the f/r pressures close to equal at the track.
Old 12-22-2015 | 02:52 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by hf1
Regardless of tire (track NT-01, street Sumis) I'm using much smaller r-f psi diffs (1-2psi tops), if any at all. Car drives much better (more neutral) that way. I don't think I've ever even experienced a 6gt3 with a 7psi r-f diff. It was probably suggested as a way to minimize potential liability by introducing plenty under-steer. Most shops who know GT3s recommend that you keep the f/r pressures close to equal at the track.
Agree with your logic 100% but the Porsche recommended split would introduce more oversteer (less grip in the rear) which is why it's so odd to me. Thus the rear tires must be "special" to require such high pressure - that's my only hypothesis at this point...
Old 12-22-2015 | 03:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Agree with your logic 100% but the Porsche recommended split would introduce more oversteer (less grip in the rear) which is why it's so odd to me. Thus the rear tires must be "special" to require such high pressure - that's my only hypothesis at this point...
Higher rear pressure REDUCES oversteer.
Old 12-22-2015 | 04:10 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by hf1
I think we agree more grip on rear tire reduces oversteer...

A lower tire pressure increases size of contact patch and higher pressure reduces the size of contact patch. A larger contact patch will have more grip... thus lower pressure = more grip -> less oversteer.

This obviously has a lower bound as a flat tire doesn't have the structure to support the vehicle but generally this applies.
Old 12-22-2015 | 04:17 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

My tech says I need to change tires every 90 days. BWAHahahahahahhaha (I crack myself up - this refers to another post where I advise that I was advised I need to do an oil change every 90 days)
Old 12-22-2015 | 04:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I think we agree more grip on rear tire reduces oversteer...

A lower tire pressure increases size of contact patch and higher pressure reduces the size of contact patch. A larger contact patch will have more grip... thus lower pressure = more grip -> less oversteer.

This obviously has a lower bound as a flat tire doesn't have the structure to support the vehicle but generally this applies.
What you say makes sense but I've delegated the answer to the experts and they have all said that higher rear pressure REDUCES oversteer, which also overlaps with the practice of almost all car makers to recommend higher rear pressures for that exact reason (to reduce liability by reducing oversteer). I posted a link in my previous message. Here's another one saying the same thing:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58

Google is your friend.
Old 12-22-2015 | 04:32 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by hf1
What you say makes sense but I've delegated the answer to the experts and they have all said that higher rear pressure REDUCES oversteer, which also overlaps with the practice of almost all car makers to recommend higher rear pressures for that exact reason (to reduce liability by reducing oversteer). I posted a link in my previous message. Here's another one saying the same thing:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58

Google is your friend.
I hear you... and I trust tirerack more than your first post... but that's just not right. Now I have to go read my eng books

Check out what google gives when I search "tire pressure vs grip": https://www.facebook.com/notes/ultra...0134442380550/
Old 12-22-2015 | 04:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I hear you... and I trust tirerack more than your first post... but that's just not right. Now I have to go read my eng books

Check out what google gives when I search "tire pressure vs grip": https://www.facebook.com/notes/ultra...0134442380550/
The issue is obviously a complex one. I think it's a confluence of two main (countering) factors: (1) your contact patch argument and (2) spring rate, with the second one typically seen as prevailing.

Here's a RL discussion about it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ndersteer.html

You made me look into this myself instead of accepting the experts' wisdom at face value, so thanks for that.

EDIT: In the end, it's probably best to follow the money. Porsche wouldn't be recommending street f/r pressures of 32/39 (and BMW rates of 30/38) if it INCREASED their liabilities through increased oversteer. It's a well known fact that OEM street pressures on all cars are set for understeer and none of them has f > r recommended pressures.

Last edited by hf1; 12-22-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2015 | 07:06 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

You're looking at the subject very narrowly. There are a lot more components that factor into a cars handling than tire pressure (and spring rate).

It's unfair to attribute a cars characteristics to either one of those two things.
Old 12-22-2015 | 09:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Wrong...
Old 12-22-2015 | 09:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
You're looking at the subject very narrowly. There are a lot more components that factor into a cars handling than tire pressure (and spring rate).

It's unfair to attribute a cars characteristics to either one of those two things.
We're talking 'all other things being equal/unchanged', of course.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 street tires - what are you using?