Sponsored by:

Need help with a possible GT2

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:06 PM
kevin930s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a possible GT2

Hello all I am needing some help on this I'm looking at a GT2 in Europe the he says is a - US car ( US model , US specs )- odometer in Miles , speedometer in Miles per Hour ( MPH ) This car meets all Environmental Regulations to title in the USA ( DOT , EPA ). Is this right a US sold in Europe? Any Ideas? If this is a US car from Europe will this hurt the resale value since it was first in Europe?
Also dose this should safe 5% security deposit into an escrow account in order to take the vehicle off the market and begin the shipping procedure .
The car will be shipped immediately after the funds are cleared ( the escrow service confirms the payment ). Shipped by sea
You will choose the inspection period time and after the period ends the rest of the payment should be made within 2 days and it can be made via bank wire transfer or even give me the cash in hand.
I asked him for the VIN so well see what that is in the mean time I would like to know what you guys think. If theres anything elles please let me know what to ask him.
Thanks

Kevin
86 930 turbo slantnose
75 911 Carrerra
Old 09-05-2003, 09:13 PM
dpj
Instructor

Default Probable Scam....be careful

I have heard that this is a scam, the crooks use a dummy escrow company, the cars are always in Europe (typically Eastern Europe) on the cheap. The car, the seller and the money disappear once your money has been successfully wired. They pick up legitimate vin numbers and pictures from places like eBay and Autotrader. I read about a guy on www.nsxprime.com that tried to buy an M5 from Europe got burned for $60,000 in exactly the same way. He went to the FBI and they were powerless to do anything. Be very careful, remember the old adage...."if it's too good to be true, then it probably is". I would suggest that you locate an escrow company yourself and present this as an option. If the seller doesn't go for it........I think you know the answer.

The fact that the odometer/speedo is in miles means nothing. All 996 turbos and I suspect other newer Porsches can be switched between Kilometres and Miles from the on board computer menu, takes literally 5 seconds. The fact the seller makes this claim as proof that the car is a US vehicle makes me even more suspicious....if it were my money especially with this type of vehicle, I would want to drive the car first, have it inspected etc.

Last edited by dpj; 09-05-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Be very, very careful of this sort of deal. I agree with the previous post - likely that this is a scam.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:33 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

There are easier and more "comfortable' ways to acquire a GT2. The upside (savings, if any) may not be worth the downside (rip-off).

People on this board might be able to help you "birddog" some local GT2s.

There are always plenty of other things to worry about.

By the way the GT2 is awesome.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least, you should request to work with a different escrow company and request a PPI. Have you looked at the GT2 available in the US? There are still a few cars available.

One way to check if this is a US car is to run the VIN with PCNA. You can also ask the seller to take a picture of the engine compartment. On the left side of the fan, there is a large mobil sticker. Above it, there is a legal EPA sticker. If you get a picture of that sticker, I'll be happy to compare it with mine.

ACW
Old 09-06-2003, 06:10 PM
kevin930s
Instructor

Can some one check this VIN WP0AB299X2S696069
Thanks
Kevin
Old 09-07-2003, 12:06 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Call Porsche Cars NA, they can tell you if that is a "US" car.

Roy
Old 09-07-2003, 12:30 AM
David Shapiro
Cruisin'

Hi,
I have imported a car, in my case a Ferrari 550, and had it converted. I had it inspected by a well-known Ferrari authority, Dick Fritz, who happened to be in Europe at the time. I actually bought it from an authorized ferrari dealership. In contrast to this, I recently inquired about a Ferari in Indonesia. When I told him that I planned to fly there to pick up the car and put it on an airplane. contact dropped off. Just food for thought.

David
Old 09-07-2003, 01:22 AM
kevin930s
Instructor

Thanks for all the help I think Im going to pass sounds like a scam
Old 09-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

kevin,

there's a hi mile euro gt2 in autoweek this week for 126, its a decent buy at 100-110 if you plan to drive the car into the ground. also you can still dig up low mile 02 gt2's for 150 ish. or better. and dealers still hold 03's. cheapest o3 that ever moved new was 159 at motorcars intl, 300 mi. most are 170+.

you're focused on the right porsche!!! there is no substitute for gt2.

if you need help finding a car, let me know and i'm sure Colm and Arnaud will help as well.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:45 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Kevin,
DO NOT BUY THAT CAR FROM THAT PERSON!!!! THAT IS OUR CAR, it is sitting right in front of me at my dads dealership at Exotic Motorcars of Palm Beach!!!!!!! We are aware of this guy stealing our desc. and pictures and are in the process of getting it taken down.
If you have any more questions and are interested in the car please give us a call 561-495-4470 or visit our website www.exoticmotorcarsofpb.com.
Regards,
Evan
PS-The car is a US SPEC model, but was dleivered in Europe before coming here....THE ONLY THING THAT IS different is the warrenty. This was told to us directly from Braman Motorcars (Porsche dealer) (we were told about the warrenty afterwards and lowered the price because of it). The only reason the car doesn't have the full 4yr warrenty and only had the 2 is because it was delivered in Germany first, not through a Porsche dealer in USA.

Last edited by AMG ETR; 09-08-2003 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with a possible GT2