996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many (any?) 996RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015 | 05:06 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like the cylinder head is slightly different than the regular GT3...

Are the PCCBs the same as the optional PCCBs on the GT3? Or do they come with different pads?
Old 04-03-2015 | 09:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Not that it matters but I recall that the exhaust tips on the 6rs had a different finish than the regular 6 gt3. Mike
Old 04-04-2015 | 02:59 AM
Das Chin
Advanced

Originally Posted by christallon
Thanks Das Chin! Very informative. So it appears with some suspension tweaking, heavier spring rates, proper alignment, a larger rear wing, 150-200 Lbs in weight savings, better rotors and pads, Clubsport seats and rear roll bar with harnesses, and maybe an ECU tune, we get within 98% of the RS as relates to performance. Now, we all know that VIN is King, so no way to get there, but from a drivers perspective, the standard MKII can be made to achieve very close to RS standards... Sweet!!! We do get AC as standard with the normal GT3... so take that RS
Christallon

The RS is only about 30KGs lighter with the plastic window n carbon bonnet. The normal gt3 has thinner glass anyway n bonnet is light. so not the 150/200lbs you said

Discs and pads would be the same with PCCB. it was an option on the RS like the GT3. there are lot of RHD RS with Steel discs/red calipers.

I am sure you can get an rs with air con. Just as the club sport gt3 can come with no air con.

One thing I did notice in the RS is on the cage cross bar. It has a large welded rectangle around the cross section for more strength n rigidity. That is to help with homologation into racing I guess. Don't think the club sport gt3s have that from factory.

Last edited by Das Chin; 04-04-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2015 | 03:00 AM
hardy33
Track Day

The 996 GT3 RS has smaller spark plugs than the 996 GT3:

The size is SW14 for the RS and SW16 for the GT3. In the picture is a spark plug from my old 996 GT3 RS.

The owner of the workshop sold and maintained a lot 996 GT3 and RS and he asked me, if I know that the cylinder heads between both types are different and showed me as a proof the thinner spark plug from the RS.

The told me that the RS has the engine from the 996 Cup and most of the owners don´t know this.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2015 | 05:24 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^ that's interesting, same engine as 996 cup in entirety? That would mean no varocam on the 6RS.

Originally Posted by Das Chin
One thing I did notice in the RS is on the cage cross bar. It has a large welded rectangle around the cross section for more strength n rigidity. That is to help with homologation into racing I guess. Don't think the club sport gt3s have that from factory.
I was emailing with Gert at Carnewal about this and you are correct. When they homolagted the clubsport cage only one diagonal bar was necessary for the main hoop at that time. By the time the RS came around the rules had changed and the extra diagonal with the gusset was required, hence the extra diagonal for the RS. Otherwise the rest of the cage is identical between the two models. Both cages are still available new from Porsche Motorsport. The RS cage is €500 more...for one piece of steel!
Old 04-04-2015 | 05:24 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

This is interesting information being put forward about the apparent differences between the engines .... Great thread
Old 04-04-2015 | 07:48 AM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller
I was emailing with Gert at Carnewal about this and you are correct. When they homolagted the clubsport cage only one diagonal bar was necessary for the main hoop at that time. By the time the RS came around the rules had changed and the extra diagonal with the gusset was required, hence the extra diagonal for the RS. Otherwise the rest of the cage is identical between the two models. Both cages are still available new from Porsche Motorsport. The RS cage is €500 more...for one piece of steel!
They supplied the new cars with the rear RS cage, which is compliant to 2004 FIA requirement, but the front parts were identical to the ClubSport and thus outdated.

To make a 996 RS 6-points cage fully FIA compliant, you'd need to purchase and upgraded front kit from Motorsport (reinforced front pillars and extra side bars)
Old 04-04-2015 | 11:02 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Special When Lit
They supplied the new cars with the rear RS cage, which is compliant to 2004 FIA requirement, but the front parts were identical to the ClubSport and thus outdated.

To make a 996 RS 6-points cage fully FIA compliant, you'd need to purchase and upgraded front kit from Motorsport (reinforced front pillars and extra side bars)
That's also interesting as Gert said there weren't any side bars available. What does the upgraded front kit include that the regular one doesnt? I have seen some cages that have the side bars and a cross bar that goes under the dash. Do you mean an extra bar on each pillar?
Old 04-04-2015 | 12:04 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Not sure what the difference is. But here is a pic of my 6RS half cage.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2015 | 12:56 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

This is the upgraded front-kit that would suit your 996RS : http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-A...658098590.html

Old 04-04-2015 | 10:24 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yep this the updated 997-style front section.
Old 04-05-2015 | 04:20 AM
Das Chin
Advanced

the main difference with the RS is below circled in yellow:

from mates RS:

its the X bar across the middle and then the 2 welded in triangle bits in the middle. adds strength and rigidity to the cage for racing

the RS comes with a full bolt in cage so you can take out the front piece for road use. you must wear a helmet in a car if you have a car with front cage. looks a bit daft on the road but that cage metal is a lot stronger than your soft skull if you have an issue on the road.

my mate wears an open face and don't mind wearing it when off to the track ;-)

the club sport and RS have a different sun visor you pull down....it has an angled side bit so it can come down over the cage. minor thing but its all the finer details with the RS
Old 04-05-2015 | 05:13 AM
Special When Lit
Instructor

The other important modification to circle would be the tab on which the side bars attach to (bottom right of the picture)

Should your friend would like to get to FIA front section in black, he should check out this add in France : http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/784219467.htm
Old 04-05-2015 | 07:21 AM
hardy33
Track Day

When you bought a new 996 RS you got in addition the following parts on the picture delivered with the car (not assembled in the car):

- fire-extinguisher
- racing seat belts from Schroth
- 2 parts for the front cage
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2015 | 10:16 AM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Do you know if the inside battery switch was also supplied as a spare part with the car ?

On the MK1 ClubSport the switch was installed from the factory, but very few MK2 ClubSport and RS seem to have it. I heard that the part was also supplied in a box with the car, but I could not confirm this 100%.

See red switch right in front of the gear lever in a RS :

Quick Reply: How many (any?) 996RS