Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS:2005 996 GT3 Never tarcked / Non moletsted

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Huge 997 GT3 guy here. But the best GT3 I've driven, and I've driven all of them, is the 996 RS. Hands down. Fun as hell and so damn involving in the track. The 997.2 is numbing, and the .1 a perfect street car. My advice would be to hold and drive your 996 GT3s. You'll regret selling it unless you've got to sell it for cash.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

While it's easy to debate the merits of either a 996 GT3 or a 997 GT3, let's agree that they are both excellent. As an owner of a 996GT I assure you that I'd never give it up for a 997 GT3, I've had too much fun at their expense.
I rarely drive the car as a street car but it gets to the track on it's own power, does its thing and takes me home, being more comfortable than most cars that are this fast and at this price point.
I've owned the car for seven and a half years, like many of you I keep hankering for an old Porsche, and guess what? I own one and as it and I will get older I'll appreciate it that much more.
Push me and I'd admit to being able to be fooled into straight trading it for a 991 GT3.
It's a Porsche GT3, that seems to be a good plateau to be stuck on, regardless of the model.

Last edited by KenW; 02-20-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-21-2015, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

collector car? my crystal ball cracked. so i cannot tell you which worth more $ in future. i really dont care.

raw: many ppl confuse poor suspension and low tech as raw. model T is pretty raw and we have a porsche tractor in the warehouse i drove it from gate to warehouse about 100yard. every fkg bone in my body hurts. that was really raw.

feel: that's personal. 6 feels great. 7.1 adn 7.2 great too. but different

issues: EVERY 911 had problems. they all get solved dont worry. just drive them. they will all blow up. fix it and drive it more. i used to worry worry worry. i dont anymore. i have a lot of fun blowing them up.

speed: 7.1 is SLIGHTLY faster than 6.2. 7.2 is quite a bit faster. 991, it's a F18 superhornet. all previous gen RS has ZERO chance (assuming same driver of course). note i didn't say its better, it's just faster.

so make your love matrix and decide which car YOU like and just buy one and drive it. no need to JUSTIFY your thinking. i couldn't careless why you think which is the better car bc if you asked 10 ppl, you will get 6.23 different answer and get no where. while the person who just bought a car would be out driving and living the dreaming while you stil trying to find the holy grail. there is NO holy grail
Old 02-21-2015, 09:49 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

To me a collector car is what you do when you get out of shape on the track, you collect it and get back at it.

I bought my 996 GT3 for the specific use for the track. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands. It wasn't about price at all. I got exactly what I wanted and I am very happy with it. for my purpose the 997 is not better at this time.

If I could have only one GT car then maybe a .1 but that's not the case.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
collector car? my crystal ball cracked. so i cannot tell you which worth more $ in future. i really dont care.

raw: many ppl confuse poor suspension and low tech as raw. model T is pretty raw and we have a porsche tractor in the warehouse i drove it from gate to warehouse about 100yard. every fkg bone in my body hurts. that was really raw.

issues: EVERY 911 had problems. they all get solved dont worry. just drive them. they will all blow up. fix it and drive it more. i used to worry worry worry. i dont anymore. i have a lot of fun blowing them up.

speed: 7.1 is SLIGHTLY faster than 6.2. 7.2 is quite a bit faster. 991, it's a F18 superhornet. all previous gen RS has ZERO chance (assuming same driver of course). note i didn't say its better, it's just faster.

so make your love matrix and decide which car YOU like and just buy one and drive it. no need to JUSTIFY your thinking. i couldn't careless why you think which is the better car bc if you asked 10 ppl, you will get 6.23 different answer and get no where. while the person who just bought a car would be out driving and living the dreaming while you stil trying to find the holy grail. there is NO holy grail
To me a difficult to control car is more fun. So I choose the 997.1. The .2, was a bit numbing. To easy to drive. I've spent too much time in open wheel racers to think of any of these cars as true track cars. But the 996 RS does come close. But you're very correct, some like blondes, some brunettes, some 4.0. Don't like the 4.0 vs. the 3.8 RS. Incremental to me. Yes! I did drive it at the Hockenheimring.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
To me a difficult to control car is more fun. So I choose the 997.1. The .2, was a bit numbing. To easy to drive. I've spent too much time in open wheel racers to think of any of these cars as true track cars. But the 996 RS does come close. But you're very correct, some like blondes, some brunettes, some 4.0. Don't like the 4.0 vs. the 3.8 RS. Incremental to me. Yes! I did drive it at the Hockenheimring.
If that was the case you'd be driving a 993, 964 or if you really want a challenge maybe an old carrera RS.

Just saying

However with that said if you really enjoy finding limits/being challenged it's typically harder to balance a car at 90 vs 70 in same corner so you can make any car feel uncomfortable if you want
Old 02-21-2015, 03:58 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Yep I also had a 996 GT3 and the 1st gen 7 RS and it's a gorgeous car that is faster. Not by much but it is faster. I'd say about 2 seconds at VIR all things equal. As in bone stock 996 GT3 is a 2.07 car and bone stock 997 RS 2.05 and obviously Leh Keen could do a little better

I just turned nannies off otherwise not much difference in the cars other than looks and that's a huge difference.

The performance level of the .2 is a jump though and that's why it will be the RS to have now and in the future. Is it worth the additional 100k to me HELL NO but I'm also not going to pay 80k for a 996 GT3 because there are just too many other cars in that price range that are faster and more fun to drive including 996 cup cars.

I also wouldn't buy a 996 GT3 as a daily driver and that's just one more place where the 997 is an improvement but would still prefer a lot of other cars to run around town in. IMO the only place a GT3 is worth paying the admission price for is track use and currently the prices are removing it from that purpose as well.

For a collector this car is worth 80k plus and that's who will by it. I'll offer 60k right now and it will be running around VIR in a month
If leh does 2:02.8 in a bolt on gtr ( and cup does around 2) I find it hard to believe a STOCK gt3 can run 2:05 to 2:07.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:19 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
If that was the case you'd be driving a 993, 964 or if you really want a challenge maybe an old carrera RS.

Just saying

However with that said if you really enjoy finding limits/being challenged it's typically harder to balance a car at 90 vs 70 in same corner so you can make any car feel uncomfortable if you want
I love my wife more than Iove cars. Promised her not to drive cars without "nannies." Would be posting now driving a CGT if I was not married to her.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
If leh does 2:02.8 in a bolt on gtr ( and cup does around 2) I find it hard to believe a STOCK gt3 can run 2:05 to 2:07.
A good driver with good rubber like R6 will run a 2 flat in a bone stock GTR. The car is an animal.

Leh ran 1.56 on street tires

Funny you mention 2.028 that's what I ran at last years UTCC

A 2.07 in a 996 or 2.05 in 997 would be no problem for Leh or anyone who is comfortable in a GT3
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

A 993 or 964 or an early RS.....these are much easier to drive fast in my opinion. Maybe I am just used to them. I find the 6-3 takes more faith, the power and speed is so much more available, and I come up to areas I am used to in my early cars and suddenly realize I'm closing too fast. Tomorrow at Willow Springs, Big Track, I will have an instructor aboard to help me with braking points, transition, and throttle control. I know the car is there, I just don't fully trust it yet to stick at higher G's and speed.

Last edited by christallon; 02-23-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've run 207s all day long in my 6 and 7 GT3 is stock form with Nittos. To get down to "fast" times I needed R6 or used slicks. I could get lower in my 7 but I'm chicken **** these days and don't get to the track enough.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 PM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty

The oracle has spoken.

Originally Posted by kgorman
To me a collector car is what you do when you get out of shape on the track, you collect it and get back at it.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Bigracks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Certificate of authenticity

Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice car. GLWS. Price seems reasonable.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Bigracks