Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015 | 10:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Default RS Wing

Is there a big difference between the GMG wing and the Manthey wing? I've been reading thru all the threads and it seems like Manthey has done more aero testing?
It's also cheaper at €1950 campared to the GMG wing at $2950?
Any feedback from owners is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015 | 11:06 AM
LIS
Instructor

I'm interested in this topic too. Another option I'm considering is from aeromotions:
http://aeromotions.com/products/by-c...tatic-996-gt3/
it's at the lower end at $2199USD.

-Larry

'04 GT3
Old 02-03-2015 | 12:15 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by LIS
I'm interested in this topic too. Another option I'm considering is from aeromotions: http://aeromotions.com/products/by-c...tatic-996-gt3/ it's at the lower end at $2199USD. -Larry '04 GT3
Great, feels like a nice upgrade especially now when we can balance the front with Joe Toths canards or two piece splitter.
Old 02-03-2015 | 12:40 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

This is a timely thread for me too as I have also been trying to decide if I'm going to leave my wing stock again this year or finally upgrade to something better.

All of the old posts on the Manthey wing suggest it makes a little more downforce than the standard RS wing...why I don't know that's just what I remember reading. Priced pretty well too but Manthey parts are difficult for us US guys to get, much easier for you over there.

GMG looks nice but expensive. Good company reputation to stand behind it here in the US.

Getty Design - cheap can be as cheap as $1100 US if you just get fiberglass not carbon. Better to not get carbon through them it's not the best. Functional??? lots of racers use them, and I saw one in person last year that looked pretty nice and it was on a car that was stinking fast. But I also read comments from a competitor bashing the Getty wing saying it's not a good copy of the RS wing and not effective. Not sure who to believe there.

AeroMotions - Big (65" I beleive), Effective, reasonably priced but UGLY. The mounting of the wing looks like a complete after thought. It does allow it to sit about an inch higher than the RS wing though so not only bigger but in cleaner (slightly) air. My question is...too big does it cause balance issues that aren't easily fixable?

Cup - / Getty - Real cup is Spendy. Getty copy is again reasonable. Cup requires different decklid which if you go Getty means lots of work to make it fit right. Genuine cup lid won't work with GT3 stock air box. Least street car looking of the bunch.

Real RS wing - Easier to find a Unicorn and even if you could find one.... $$$$$ Probably always be able to get your investment back out of it though.
Old 02-03-2015 | 01:32 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
This is a timely thread for me too as I have also been trying to decide if I'm going to leave my wing stock again this year or finally upgrade to something better. All of the old posts on the Manthey wing suggest it makes a little more downforce than the standard RS wing...why I don't know that's just what I remember reading. Priced pretty well too but Manthey parts are difficult for us US guys to get, much easier for you over there. GMG looks nice but expensive. Good company reputation to stand behind it here in the US. Getty Design - cheap can be as cheap as $1100 US if you just get fiberglass not carbon. Better to not get carbon through them it's not the best. Functional??? lots of racers use them, and I saw one in person last year that looked pretty nice and it was on a car that was stinking fast. But I also read comments from a competitor bashing the Getty wing saying it's not a good copy of the RS wing and not effective. Not sure who to believe there. AeroMotions - Big (65" I beleive), Effective, reasonably priced but UGLY. The mounting of the wing looks like a complete after thought. It does allow it to sit about an inch higher than the RS wing though so not only bigger but in cleaner (slightly) air. My question is...too big does it cause balance issues that aren't easily fixable? Cup - / Getty - Real cup is Spendy. Getty copy is again reasonable. Cup requires different decklid which if you go Getty means lots of work to make it fit right. Genuine cup lid won't work with GT3 stock air box. Least street car looking of the bunch. Real RS wing - Easier to find a Unicorn and even if you could find one.... $$$$$ Probably always be able to get your investment back out of it though.
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm also not a fan of the aeromotions. Don't like the way it mounts on the uprights.
Can you adjust the GMG wing? I know that the Manthey is adjustable!
You are right about shipping and duty for the Manthey. And they are fragile...
Old 02-03-2015 | 01:59 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm also not a fan of the aeromotions. Don't like the way it mounts on the uprights.
Can you adjust the GMG wing? I know that the Manthey is adjustable!
You are right about shipping and duty for the Manthey. And they are fragile...
Manthey / GMG / Getty all will adjust via the same shims you can use for the OEM and RS wing. 4 degree and 8 degree shims are available.
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:29 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

I believe getty makes a cup decklid that mates with a street airbox. That's the way I will be going if/when I have monoball and jrz.
Old 02-03-2015 | 06:57 PM
edgy
Banned

I was thinking Manthey personally, just not sure on shipping $
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:13 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I just bought a gmg wing from Rennlister SH II NC. I'll let you know how it works out! I still believe the Manthey wing is the best one but with the hassle to import it from Europe this was a good solution. Plan to drive it with the dive planes from Toth and if that's not enough I'll add the 2 piece splitter. Running Toths 1 piece splitter at the moment.
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:17 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Edgey, unfortunate about that exchange rate atm hey

There is also the MA Shaw wing which is $1700 in full carbon. Not sure what the quality is like?
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:23 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

AeroMotions - Big (65" I beleive), Effective, reasonably priced but UGLY. The mounting of the wing looks like a complete after thought. It does allow it to sit about an inch higher than the RS wing though so not only bigger but in cleaner (slightly) air. My question is...too big does it cause balance issues that aren't easily fixable?

Been using the aeormotions wing for two years. I don't find balance issues with the cup front splitter. It not as pretty as the RS, but I find it effective. Much less drag if your running shims on the stock. Rear feels more planted through the high speed sweeper like the esses at the glen or vir.

YMMV
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:42 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I have the Getty Cup wing and decklid on mine and the fit and finish is quite good, very functional and super adjustable. I think I counted 12 or 15 adjustments the other day. It makes a huge difference on a fast track, especially 120 MPH + sweepers like turn 8 at WSIR, although the wing has to remain fairly flat to keep the front spoiler working. I take the winglets off for street driving as it makes the car look more streamline.
Old 02-03-2015 | 08:02 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by christallon
I have the Getty Cup wing and decklid on mine and the fit and finish is quite good, very functional and super adjustable. I think I counted 12 or 15 adjustments the other day. It makes a huge difference on a fast track, especially 120 MPH + sweepers like turn 8 at WSIR, although the wing has to remain fairly flat to keep the front spoiler working. I take the winglets off for street driving as it makes the car look more streamline.
Chris,

What do you run up front? I was thinking about running 4deg shim on the RS wing and try to balance the down force in the front. Looking for more downforce even at lower speeds. I don't worry to much about loosing a little too speed. Just like the feel of a planted cars in turns.
Old 02-03-2015 | 08:19 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

I run the standard GT3 lip up front but have a Cup lip that I will swap out when the time comes. Slightly more down-force with the Factory "Cup" Lip. The challenge for me is the front lip is bolted on, so I'd have to pull the front bumper off to make the switch, and I'm too lazy to do that until I absolutely have to.

The car felt fairly well planted through turn 8, even with the standard GT3 lip in place.
Old 02-03-2015 | 09:03 PM
Blitz128
Instructor

great info... thinking same about wing upgrade as I'm adding the Cup front splitter for track use

Quick Reply: RS Wing