Sponsored by:

the GT3 Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
Default the GT3 Market

Anyone think they understand why gt3 demand is so low?

while i sold my car at just below window, most dealers are offering 10 under, while an occasional small market is higher. numerous dealer cars are available at window, even at beverly hills. BH's car is silver and that is a poor look on gt3 which is probably holding up that car.

i thought there would be significant demand for such a performance car. maybe since TT's are readily available for the same price, gt3's price/performance pales?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: the GT3 Market

Originally posted by watt
while i sold my car at just below window, most dealers are offering 10 under, while an occasional small market is higher. numerous dealer cars are available at window, even at beverly hills. BH's car is silver and that is a poor look on gt3 which is probably holding up that car.
The car in question was sold on Tuesday 8/26 and it did NOT go for under MSRP.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:42 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How could the GT3's price/performance pale in comparison to a TT when the GT3 is faster and is cheaper!?!?!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:50 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Demand is not low for cars equipped with standard brakes and few options....
I know of 2 individuals who have been searching for such cars with few options. One of them located a car and the other is looking/waiting on his build. A variety of the available cars have all sorts of options. Interestingly, I chose silver, Karl S. chose silver, and these 2 other people I know both chose silver. IMO...the car looks great in any color...
Old 08-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

watt: Most of the dealer ordered GT3s that were/are available seemed to have boat loads of dead cow or carbon fiber applique options which I have no interest in. Your car was very close to what I've ordered and I was tempted but silver is my first choice with white 2nd.

brh986: On the used Turbo market it's easy to find a car cheaper than a new GT3. And with easy modification to >500HP I'm not sure the Turbo would still be slower. That said, they're two different cars and you buy what appeals to you.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:05 PM
mds
Pro

I am waiting on a no option Nov build. Most available cars I have seen have the non-performance oriented options like AC and PCCB. These cars are worth less than the asking price.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:09 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Watt..I chose silver as well. Having read many of your posts, your "silver is a poor look on a GT3" is not the kind of comment I have come to expect from you. It is the kind of comment I would expect from someone trolling on the Roadfly E46 M3 board. Everyone has their own opinions about color and if we took a poll, I wonder what majority would rule?
Old 08-28-2003, 01:19 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

How is PCCB not a performance oriented option?

Where are these so called 10k off cars?

I'm have a deposit down on a car but only managed 3k off, build is next spring.

I too didn't order any of the stupid asthetic options (other than door sills, guilty there).

-PCCB
-Litronics
-AC & Radio (no cost)
-Thick wheel
-Floor mats
-Cruise control
Old 08-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

brh986: Hey, you copied my option list (I skipped the door sills). You better not be ordering Arctic Silver.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

tngt3,
please dont feel defensive, it OK! dont worry
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

brh986: On the PCCB isn't a performance option subject...

It seems to me that mds is ordering a car more for track than road use. In that case the regular brakes make much more sense as the PCCBs are damned expensive to replace every 1500 track miles (as PMNA estimates their track life). You've already asked about the possibility of replacing PCCB rotors with cast iron in many posts on several boards so I'm sure you understand that. Folks like KarlS and ldw, who have GT3 Cup cars, can attest to the effectiveness of the conventional brakes on the new GT3 and have expressed the opinion that they don't think PCCB is a worthwhile option. Personally I'm getting the PCCB option because I'm a tech geek and I like unusual gadgets. I'm going to watch the wear very closely at track events to see if I can afford that indulgence in this case. Later this year I'll get back to my research on metal rings to bolt onto the PCCB hats so I don't have to do a complete brake system replacement when reality proves too expensive to keep running PCCB on the track.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

viken,
don't you think it a symptom of the weak market that it took BH 3 weeks to move that car at window in a high demand colour?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:08 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

tngt3,
please dont feel defensive, it OK! dont worry
Not worried, being happy. You dissed my color.....I had to speak up! No problem.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't you think it a symptom of the weak market that it took BH 3 weeks to move that car at window in a high demand colour?
Look, it's mostly the sign of the times. The economy is in the toilet when it comes to high ticket items. To me, there was nothing wrong with that car other than there are fewer people willing to spend $120k+ on cars these days. I'm sure you know the fact that BH and many other dealers have sat on some GT2's and Turbo's for far more than 3 weeks. Having said that, I don't believe there is a problem specific to the GT3.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:31 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by brh986
How could the GT3's price/performance pale in comparison to a TT when the GT3 is faster and is cheaper!?!?!
Faster how? where? Around a track Yes, straight line performance No, performance when wet, No, real world street performance No. The gt3 has to be kept at high revs to make its real power and the turbos heavier weight is more than compensated for by its huge HP and Torque advantage. Not sure what you mean can you explain to me. Thanks buddy.

-Lou

Quick Reply: the GT3 Market