Sponsored by:

GT3 Available

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT3 Available

I just came across a white GT3 w/a $112212 window w/195 miles on it. If anyone is interested let me know.

224-622-8900
Old 08-22-2003, 07:22 PM
musicmovesme
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow 195 miles someone has been test driving that bad boy.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:51 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually it was a trade in...
Old 08-23-2003, 07:54 PM
User 123
Instructor

It was Twisted's...

He's a former M3 Guy that went turbo right after delivery

See the Post
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3781311&page=2
Old 08-23-2003, 10:57 PM
twisted
Advanced

That was mine. That GT3 is a great car. The 996 Turbo is just a better car for me, which is what I should have bought in the first place.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:52 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my opinion, unless you have to have a gt3, a turbo is a better car. it's all weather capability, it's psm, more comfort items standard, more complient ride, higher clearance, etc make it a better day in and day out car. look at the people on the board who have gotten a gt3, and are looking to flip it. disagree if you want, but overall, the tt is a more practical drive
Old 08-24-2003, 01:48 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Doc: I think you're right on the mark with your assesment of the practicality of the GT3 vs. the Turbo. I expect that folks who buy a GT3 just because it's new/limited availability, and don't understanding what the car is intended for, will come to regret their purchase because of that. I wouldn't necessarily say this applies to all the folks on this board flipping GT3s though. Watt for example seems to regularly flip cars anyways and in his case I'd say it's the power of the GT2 that wins out over the GT3.

Twisted: I'm curious how you justify the ratings you give the GT3 in your comments on Roadfly? The streetable issue I can understand and the subjective ones like public eye, people on your a$$ and grins from driving are personal taste but performance wise the only rating a stock 996 Turbo should beat a GT3 on is 0-60.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:23 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, Everyone I know that had/has a GT3 and a Turbo/GT2 have all sold or will sell the GT3, and/or have cancelled their orders.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:29 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oak, that's what it seems like. knowing this, what do you think will happen to the resale value of the gt3, in light of the fact that these cars all went out the door at full list?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:53 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

The market is pretty soft, I think dealers will be sitting on a few for awhile. Just like the GT2's. If I were in the market for a GT3, I would buy one second hand with only a few miles on it, I wouldn't bother ordering or waiting for one. Just wait a few months there will be plenty on the market, I think the words getting out.

I can't believe it but even Hamann (Tyson) has bought a turbo. Remember what he was saying about the comparison between the GT3 and Turbo?!
Old 08-24-2003, 04:14 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Watt's Brand new white GT3 is for sale, Xenons and PCCB's, black interior. 160 miles.

This bad boy is begging to be taken to the track.

Contact Watt if you how to contact him, or you can email me at oak@roadfly.org and I will forward your email to watt.

Old 08-24-2003, 10:59 AM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default GT3

Well,...for what it is worth, I bought the GT3 so i could have a car to drive on the street, to the track, on the track and back home with the maximum sporting capabilities in mind. So, the GT3 is a perfect car for that philosophy. I was just at Lime Rock for the past 2 days. I took it to the track in exactly as delivered trim and the car surpassed my expectations by far.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:03 PM
mds
Pro

lynn, I agree with you. How many hours did you drive during the two days and how did the factory tires hold up wear wise?

Mike
911 GT3 (waiting on a November build)
Old 08-24-2003, 01:55 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default GT3

9-20 minute sessions of myself and A. Merzon (my Grand Am team mate) shaking it down, and my wife drove an additional 4-20 minute sessions in the introductory run group. The factory Michelin PS2 is an excellent street tire. Given the loads on the driver rear tire at LRP because of the right hand turns, and most notably the downhill, the driver rear had quite a bit of sidewall wear and rolled over significantly because of its relatively soft sidewall. Increasing pressure helped this situation, but degraded the tire's general performance. The car was taken to the track in "as delivered" condition so more camber would of course helped. Despite that outer wear, the tires held up very well. They appear barely worn except for that noted above. The passenger side tires appear essentially new except for some slight wear on the outer third and moderate wear on the outer 10%. It is really remarkable. I then was given a set of very used(greater than 20-25) heat cycle Pilot Sport Cup tires to try. They were proper size for the front at 225, but only 285 in rear on only a 10 inch rim. They also had been used for all previous cycles on a 964 cup car with a significant amount of camber, so that alignment wear pattern was established in the tires. They were also already down to the wear bars.
Despite that, the wear history and small size in rear, these tires further reduced times 1.3 seconds which of course is like an eternity at LRP. We I experimented with the pilot sport cups for only 2 sessions. All other sessions were on the delivered PS2 tires.
The car coolant temp never went above 200 degrees despite it being hot(ambient 90+ with humidity on day 1, and the car barely used any oil. Brakes were exceptional(I have standard rotors), with firm pedal at end of 2 days (using great care to properly cool down at the end of each session though and even driving extra around the paddock just to get more air flowing over the brakes). Pad wear was perhaps 15% with relatively little brake dust on wheels. The only issue I had was that the brake ducting on the passenger front failed unexpectedly in a braking zone. Both ducts were damaged when they fell off the car and will have to be replaced with new ones. This was a random event as I had not gone over any curbing or disrupted the ducting in any way. This happened early in the first day. These ducts simply, "clip" in, so I would advise checking from time to time that they are secure. Despite this, I had no unusual wear on the right rotor and pad compared to the left. Disks have micro cracks in them which I would expect for the type of driving and braking we were doing. IT is a fabulous car. I changed the tires back to the PS2 stock tires, drove it home, and went out to dinner with it.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Oak
The market is pretty soft, I think dealers will be sitting on a few for awhile. Just like the GT2's. If I were in the market for a GT3, I would buy one second hand with only a few miles on it, I wouldn't bother ordering or waiting for one. Just wait a few months there will be plenty on the market, I think the words getting out.
Some of us plan to keep our GT3s for a long time and will suffer thru the wait to get _exactly_ the configuration we want and be the original owner. I don't think "the words getting out", I just think the uninformed buyer of the GT3 won't necessarily be happy with the car. Personally I expect there's more informed seekers of the GT3 in the US than the supply but I could be wrong. If I am then I'm glad I've got an order in now now as it would seem likely Porsche wouldn't go thru the effort to bring future track oriented cars to the US market. It'd be pretty sad if Fred was right and the cupholder was the most important item on a Porsche for the US market.

Quick Reply: GT3 Available