Sponsored by:

Looking for info on GT3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:09 AM
blotto649
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for info on GT3 engine

I'm looking at a used 2004 6.3 for sale and am seeking some clarity on the engine. I've done a little bit of research and I think it may be a replacement engine due to crankcase part number(s). Can anyone confirm this?

Part number in the casting is 996.101.198.0R and I read that part numbers that end in a letter like that signify a factory-built replacement. Additional part number on the cylinder housing is 996.101.311.3R - again, ending in a letter. If this is a rebuild, any way to find out what year it was built? Or even better, when it was installed? Curious if a dealer would have this info on record if I can provide them with a VIN.

The car has a repair estimate record on the Carfax for $30k in 2010, and I'm trying to find out if that was likely an engine replacement and then some.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by blotto649
I'm looking at a used 2004 6.3 for sale and am seeking some clarity on the engine. I've done a little bit of research and I think it may be a replacement engine due to crankcase part number(s). Can anyone confirm this?

Part number in the casting is 996.101.198.0R and I read that part numbers that end in a letter like that signify a factory-built replacement. Additional part number on the cylinder housing is 996.101.311.3R - again, ending in a letter. If this is a rebuild, any way to find out what year it was built? Or even better, when it was installed? Curious if a dealer would have this info on record if I can provide them with a VIN.

The car has a repair estimate record on the Carfax for $30k in 2010, and I'm trying to find out if that was likely an engine replacement and then some.
The engine's serial number should have the engine's year of manufacture.

When the engine was rebuilt I do not think is recorded on a number anywhere on the block. This info probably exists inside of Porsche.

The engine's serial # is mod'd when an engine is rebuilt. I believe an "AT" is added/inserted somewhere. "AT" Stands for "Austausch" which translates from German to English as "exchange".

If you can find the dealer that did the work it might be able to shed some light on when the engine was replaced.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:28 AM
blotto649
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your reply, Macster! Coincidentally just came across this thread which provides some good detail. Clearly I should be checking for serial number vs. crankcase part number(s).

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nt-engine.html

Quick Reply: Looking for info on GT3 engine