Sponsored by:

lovely couple (2x996 RS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by master_jcp
Just sex for my eyes! I love the 996 GT3-RS! Still a beauty after the years! The RV V 910 has a custom exhaust!

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...014/10/24#img7

Great shot! The wheels looks fantastic in red too.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a pic of one of mine.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:41 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

So cool.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 AM
LaSource
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4porsh
So cool.
Thanks.

A bit like user 997rs4.0 above, I am also fortunate enough to have a 4.0 as well...in some ways the two cars are so very different.

Here are also pics of a previous 996 RS in action at the green hell...

Old 11-04-2014, 08:00 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

In my fantasy land I would like two other Porsches, one would be a 4.0RS and the other a CGT. Can not believe you folks have a 4.0 and a 996.2RS.

Would love to see a write up from you guys discussing the different or similar characteristics of said cars on track and street.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

They are surprisingly different cars. To drive: The 6rs is actually pretty similar to a 6gt3. I don't have a lot of time in MkII but many hours in my former trackrat Mk1.
Due to family reasons with two small kids and a lot of work over the last few years I haven't had as much time to drive as I would have liked to.
I'll just name a few of the big differences.
* 6rs you need to chase the high revs all the time, the 4.0 with its throttle response pulls from all over the rev range.
* Steering feels lighter in the 6rs, both communicate fantastic to your hands.
* High speed stability is like night and day. The 6rs make you sweat at 180mph, you steer the 4.0 with two fingers at top speed. "By the way, The 6rs makes you sweat at any speed."
* And with all that downforce comes the biggest difference to me. The 4.0 feels soooo much more planted. Sometimes it feels like the 6 floats a little. IMO skilled drivers can use this and thats what gives you that warning that some drivers talk about. (There is an active thread that I've really enjoyed, think it started of with why 6gt3s more often have of track excursions?)
*Both cars need a good pilot but to me the 6rs signals that right away. No dummies. The 4.0 makes you feel like a pro the minute you sit in it.
* The sound is amazing in the 4.0
There is of course so much more to talk about and thats why I like to hang out at this forum.
I'm very lucky to own these two cars.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 2,345 Posts

How were you able to register a 6RS in the US?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:59 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Unfortanely they are both in Sweden. Only get to drive them during the summer when kids are of from school. Got the 993tt here in Orlando, but it's to nice to take to the track. Need to find a 6gt3 so I can join you guys at Sebring and Daytona.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
They are surprisingly different cars. To drive: The 6rs is actually pretty similar to a 6gt3. I don't have a lot of time in MkII but many hours in my former trackrat Mk1.
Due to family reasons with two small kids and a lot of work over the last few years I haven't had as much time to drive as I would have liked to.
I'll just name a few of the big differences.
* 6rs you need to chase the high revs all the time, the 4.0 with its throttle response pulls from all over the rev range.
* Steering feels lighter in the 6rs, both communicate fantastic to your hands.
* High speed stability is like night and day. The 6rs make you sweat at 180mph, you steer the 4.0 with two fingers at top speed. "By the way, The 6rs makes you sweat at any speed."
* And with all that downforce comes the biggest difference to me. The 4.0 feels soooo much more planted. Sometimes it feels like the 6 floats a little. IMO skilled drivers can use this and thats what gives you that warning that some drivers talk about. (There is an active thread that I've really enjoyed, think it started of with why 6gt3s more often have of track excursions?)
*Both cars need a good pilot but to me the 6rs signals that right away. No dummies. The 4.0 makes you feel like a pro the minute you sit in it.
* The sound is amazing in the 4.0
There is of course so much more to talk about and thats why I like to hang out at this forum.
I'm very lucky to own these two cars.
I can concur with all of the post above.

The 6rs and the 6gt3 are probably 97% the same in terms of performance.
So, what is the 3% all about?
Well, it is just a little lighter, just a little more responsive, the engine just a little more 'angrier' - the cylinder heads have slightly different intake and exhaust ports.
The suspension just a little more adjustable on the limit.
I feel like you are dancing on your toes - a mix of boxing and ballet - if that makes any sense!
So that takes care of the 3% performance difference.
Then the 6rs adds the drama of the RS badge - the colour scheme, the carbon fibre bonnet, carbon wing mirrors, and carbon rear spoiler, the perspex rear window, etc - knowing you are the custodian of one of the 700 odd models in the world, etc

In my case, I now also have a 996 GT3 Mk2 Clubsport which I use more extensively on track whilst the 6rs has been retired from active duty. The cheaper car is more track focused and partly because of this, partly because it is cheaper, and partly because I am a slightly better driver now, I am actually faster in the 6gt3
Nonetheless, on the data logger I can see that my peak speeds on the straights are a few miles faster in the 6rs

With rising values and rarity, the 6rs unfortunately has become a bit of an art work for me

On the road I actually find the 6rs a better drive than the 6gt3, however conventional wisdom is supposed to be that it is more track focused and the 6gt3 more road focused.

We all know these cars can be setup very differently...so a benign setup 6rs may be less focused than a track setup 6gt3, etc

But overall both cars are very analogue, a bit skittish on the limit...it takes time to tame it...but that's part of the fun.

Ok, some videos of the cars on two of the world's best driving circuits (imv)...albeit I am inexperienced in the classic US tracks!
Not claiming to be a great driver...just your average Porsche aficionado.

Here is a video of one lap of Nurburgring in the 6rs...

Here is a video of one lap of Spa Francorchamps in the 6gt3
The car in the Spa lap is probably being driven more enthusiastically than I would have the 6rs there previously

The 4.0..
Sadly I have not taken it to track yet so cannot discuss its on track manners.
On the road is very different...I will probably repeat much of 997rs4.0's comments
Very composed
Bags of torque
Noise
Refined when you want it to be, and furious when you flex your right foot
Lots of modern in car toys - sat nav, bluetooth phone, iPod connection, great hifi quality, etc - yes, I know these are blasphemous to 996 gt3 drivers...but it is nice to have the modernity, yet they cannot drown out the sound of the engine/exhaust!
On fast sweeping bends it hints at a super grippy front turn in...but yet to test on track
And finally again, the drama of a limited edition RS, the looks, the appreciation of the average member of the public, etc

So there is a bit of description - apologies if a bit lacking in detail in places.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the videos and descriptions.

have you changed the exhaust in the 6rs? definitely sounds like the case in the cs but the rs sounds a bit beefier too, but maybe that is the intake i'm hearing?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond. Really enjoy reading peoples experiences with these great rare cars.
You two are very "lucky" to have those cars. Nice choice.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy

have you changed the exhaust in the 6rs? definitely sounds like the case in the cs but the rs sounds a bit beefier too, but maybe that is the intake i'm hearing?
There is a bit of cheating going on.
I have blended the in car audio track with the outside rear audio above the exhausts...so it's a bit louder

The 6rs is fully standard apart from Performance Friction (PFC) front brakes and uprated brake fluid.

The CS has a few changes - the exhaust is Porsche but a PSE system with the flaps open (not a common factory option), GiroDisc brakes with RS29 pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Nitron 3-way adjustable dampers, stiffer springs, Motorsport diff plates, and lots of rake with a very pointy geo settings.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:24 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy

Originally Posted by 4porsh
Thank you guys for taking the time to respond. Really enjoy reading peoples experiences with these great rare cars.
You two are very "lucky" to have those cars. Nice choice.
You are very welcome.
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the explanation!
yes, so maybe hearing some more intake with the 2nd mic at the rear...

love the 6rs.
the prices in the u.k. have gone mental recently - from a five year steady 60k pounds to 120k - 150k pounds in less than a year....or is that just jonas being optimistic?
the last one advertised here was at least a year ago at $180k or thereabouts. that has been the going-rate for a while.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

My 4.0 is completely stripped out. Just the way I like the RS cars. My 6rs actually has a radio in it! Never been used.

Quick Reply: lovely couple (2x996 RS)