Sponsored by:

2004 GT2 a laugher

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:59 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheels are one thing.

Heck even paint should be a little different in the GT2 models.

But the GT silver needs to stay for one reason and one reason alone. It's (in some form or another) the one silver that's been available on all Porsches since inception.

Silver is the traditional "racing colour" of Germany.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiedeking is an idiot. In that same article, at the end he says something to the affect that...
"brand strength is at the core of Porsche....I remember when Warsteiner (German Beer) was a strong brand, and now it is no longer...and with that Wiedeking takes a last gulp of his beer in a Warsteiner glass..."

what an f'm idiot, he is saying how "someone" at Warsteiner killed the brand of his favorite beer, and now this idiot is doing the same at Porsche.

I would also say that Fred Schwab is also to blame....why should all Porsche's have fn cup holders just because American soccer mom's need a place to put their morning coffee...

These guys are a bunch of bumbling idiots...Porsche would be MUCH better off if Volkswagon or Merc bought them and Porsche would maintain its sports car ONLY brand..

Oh but we are supposed to be "relieved" b/c Porsche is intorducing a 2+2 sports car to compete with the BMW 6, and Merc sl500...
I suspect that is the car that will be intorduced at the IAA in Frankfurt.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
emorgan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I right in assuming the only thing Porsche did to produce more horsepower was to adjust the mapping?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:24 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

emorgan - You are right!! Only remapped ECU with no engine mods or internal changes...I think they could have made it 500HP if they wanted...
Old 08-15-2003, 03:07 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by msindi
emorgan - You are right!! Only remapped ECU with no engine mods or internal changes...I think they could have made it 500HP if they wanted...
It's all driven by their marketing dept , not engineering . The magic " 500 hp " number is probably being saved for a special " Turbo S" send off model at the very end of 996 production. Ferrari marketing will keep milking the 360 with "specials " in the same way for two more years.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:21 PM
jim in cambridge
Track Day

MKW: I was under the impression that my January build 996TT was at the very end of 996TT production. Do you know otherwise?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Based on this years 04 turbo coupe production numbers, and the fact that porsche hasn't made the Turbo for the US market for more than 4 years in a row before, I would be surprised if your car wasnt near the end of the 996 Turbo Coupe production...
Old 08-15-2003, 06:05 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by Deanger
I think there is more at stake here. Namely, credibility. When they marketed the GT2 in '01 part of the marketing was limited availability. If they are going to go and add model years with tweaks -- whose to say I won't be able to get an 07 CGT with 700hp? It is brand suicide to do this kind of thing at the super-car edge of the price range.
I respectfully disagree. That's just the nature of the beast. Automotive engineering will continue to advance, and supercars will continue to get faster. At Porsche, first there was the origional turbo. Then the 959. Then the 993 turbo S. Then 996TT. Then the GT2. It's the same with all other makes - Vettes, Vipers, Lambos, Ferraris - they'll just keep making them faster until some exogenous event makes it no longer viable.

IMO, there will always be a bigger, badder 911 in the works - unless some day the various world governments get together to eliminate the gasoline powered car. Only then will you be able to, with confidence, buy the fastest 911 ever... (On the other hand, we'll all be stuck driving POS econo-mobiles.... a much more somber scenario in my opinion.)

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by racer63; 08-19-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Deanger
Racer

racer63,

I think you misunderstood me. My objection is to making a limited-edition car and then making more of them AFTER you said you wouldn't. I have no problem with Porsche making better and better cars. I expect them too. However, playing around with exclusivity and super-car labels requires more care. You will not hear Ferrari announce an Enzo S. Moreover, I would never put down a deposit on a CGT at the moment because I am not convinced Porsche intends to make 1500 and then not one more.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:46 PM
racer63
Racer

racer63,

I think you misunderstood me. My objection is to making a limited-edition car and then making more of them AFTER you said you wouldn't. I have no problem with Porsche making better and better cars. I expect them too. However, playing around with exclusivity and super-car labels requires more care. You will not hear Ferrari announce an Enzo S. Moreover, I would never put down a deposit on a CGT at the moment because I am not convinced Porsche intends to make 1500 and then not one more.
My bad. I did misunderstand. I'll agree with you on the above point. I also tend to think that there's a bit of an air of arrogance with the marque. They won't tell you for sure when a new model is coming out (e.g., the 997). They'll sometimes tell you a model is coming (GT3 in 2000), then change their mind. Etc.

On the other hand, the product is intoxicating and addicting! So, as a result, I'm unable to respond by boycotting the brand.

Last edited by racer63; 08-19-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:56 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I agree with Deanger. I don't trust Porsche when they say "limited" anymore. Somehow, "limited" went from making X amount to "we will limit the production to the number of units we can make money on".

I got my deposit back on the CGT, I just passed on the GT3, and I just ordered a 360 Spider for 04 delivery.

Roy
Old 08-15-2003, 08:59 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by msindi
Who's to say that won't happen next year, along with a carbon fiber look hood and headlight covers
Old 08-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My objection is to making a limited-edition car and then making more of them AFTER you said you wouldn't. I have no problem with Porsche making better and better cars. I expect them too. However, playing around with exclusivity and super-car labels requires more care. You will not hear Ferrari announce an Enzo S. Moreover, I would never put down a deposit on a CGT at the moment because I am not convinced Porsche intends to make 1500 and then not one more.
Ferrari originally said there would be 349 Enzos, not a single one more. There are 399. The upcoming Maserati race car is based on the Enzo. So, no, they didn't make an Enzo S, but re-badging the car Maserati and then taking it racing is far worse.

Porsche will have serious problems making CGT's for the U.S. market if their petition for reconsideration is denied. More info here: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf86/246824_web.pdf This could dramatically shorten the car's production run.

Greg A
Old 08-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you guys must work for Porsche. we should just fire all other who work for Porsche!!
come on. Just before the press article do not say everything, this do NOT mean that the wind is only a carbon look and not a real carbon.
it is real carbon and you even get it unpainted for less weight. the engine is stronger even if it has small improvments.
Wait till you see the new time at Nürburgring.
the same with the new Gt3. only 22 HP more but as fast as a Gt2 at Nurburgring and much fatser than the older GT3.

how can you judge a sport car by just looking on the wheels??? It seems to me that a true porsche and car nut is interested mor eon technical datails and not just on how a car is looking.

Konstantin
PS Porsche made a new GT3 anew GT3RS a Carrera Gt and now a new GT2 and all this in one year
Do you remember how long it took after the first GT3 till Porsche brought out a real sport car?
It was FOUR years. so do not complain it is geting better.
Though Wedekind must be fired but who fires a guy who brought so mayn millions to Porsche???
Old 08-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

i wonder where the ring time from walter is. the new gt3, i ask you to look at the HP curve, the 381 is a narrow unuse-able peak, pure marketing. but what do i know, and i nvere drove the 00 gt3.

Quick Reply: 2004 GT2 a laugher