Sponsored by:

GT3 - About to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:56 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink GT3 - About to pull the trigger

Been conversing with my sales guy - and I am about to trade in my beloved 03 996 C2 for an allocation order on this car. I have done some searches through earlier posts but could not find any info on the following. The guys on this board seem very knowledgable and I would like to put forth the following for your input.

1. Engine & transmission - I understand that they are very different from my current 996. Anyone have info on how robust they are for day to day use beyond the track? I plan on using it 90% street, with some drivers ed, tracking, autocross in between. I understand they are derived from race versions of earlier Porsche models (964 crankcase etc), will they require more maintenance then the 3.6ltr engine in my current 996? Anyone have the maintenance/service schedules for this engine?? I believe it is different then what is perscribed for mine.

2. All things being equal in terms of usage (street and track) would consumable items such as clutch, brakes, tires be worn out any faster on a GT3 vs a 996 or stock 993?

Any other items I should consider would be appreciated. My current Porsche is my first one, so I am not an expert on the history or evolution of this car. It excites me in that it appears to have the best of both worlds a killer power plant excellent chasis and brakes for handling.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:37 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Robust? Next to a normal 996 the GT3 is a tank! The engine is a derivative of the GT1 and similar in design to the GT2 and TT. It has a true dry sump system like all real Porshce's before the 986 and 996. The transmission is derivative of that used on the 993 and 964 only with steel synchros for 3, 4 and 5 plus forced oil cooling to the gears and bearings. The only additional expense I can see you having over a 996 is shorter tire life, and higher fuel consumption. You'll also need something to wipe the silly grin off of your face!

Unless you drive on rough roads, the GT3 sound easily be less trouble than the 996.

Cheers,
Old 08-14-2003, 01:52 AM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed,...
1)the service schedule for the GT3 is similar to the Boxster, Boxster S, 996, 996 turbo, and GT2.
This means Oil every 15K, oil and oil filter with air filter at 30K in addition to spark plugs. Fuel filter at 60K.
With that said, the "911 GT3, Passion for Motorsport" book that you get with the GT3(hardback),...claims oil at 12K, oil filter and air filter at 24K, plugs at 24K, and fuel filter at 48K. Despite the discrepancy, the intervals are not significantly different for the GT3 compared to other models.

2)The tires and brakes may likely wear out sooner-all cars being treated in a similar fashion-, but this is very operator dependent. The clutch replacement is a straight forward procedure. The clutch was designed with motorsport in mind.

3)The handling of the GT3 as delivered is superb with a slight push. The N2 tires are an incredible developmental advance over previous. The brakes are far superior to any other road going porsche both in grip relating to rotor/pad relationship and pedal rigidity. Also, the tire's quality enhances the braking ability of the vehicle.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

lynn, the "911 GT3, Passion for Motorsport" book and the "Product Information 911 GT3" dealer sales training book were both published 12/02 so it's not surprising the interval numbers may have been re-evaluated. One thing listed in the former is a 48K mile relacement interval for the Ancillary drive belt.

One additional item I'd consider a "consumable" on the GT3 - the front spoiler lip Anybody found out what they go for yet?
Old 08-14-2003, 02:35 AM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Steve. Good point on the publication date.
I have already ordered 2 replacement spoiler lips. Don't know cost,... will need them sooner or later ;-)
(less than 100 dollars on Cup car though)
Old 08-14-2003, 05:21 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

i checked it already. it's somewhere betweeen $250 to 260 a piece. i'd say it's ok price for the lip.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:11 AM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally posted by Fred R. C4S
It has a true dry sump system like all real Porshce's before the 986 and 996.
There 's a different system of the dry sump between the 996 and the GT3's (GT3 's been the most performed system) wich one is much more improved than the OLDER models.
The comment about the "real porsche" is normally coming from some 993 jelaous owners. it makes me

Old 08-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve in FL
lynn, the "911 GT3, Passion for Motorsport" book and the "Product Information 911 GT3" dealer sales training book were both published 12/02 so it's not surprising the interval numbers may have been re-evaluated. One thing listed in the former is a 48K mile relacement interval for the Ancillary drive belt.

One additional item I'd consider a "consumable" on the GT3 - the front spoiler lip Anybody found out what they go for yet?
One point to bear in mind is that there has always been a difference between US and Europe service intervals. For years now, it has been every 12K in Europe, so it may be that the book was printed before it was decided that the GT3 was to be sold in the US.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Christer
One point to bear in mind is that there has always been a difference between US and Europe service intervals. For years now, it has been every 12K in Europe, so it may be that the book was printed before it was decided that the GT3 was to be sold in the US.
It could be that the numbers weren't adjusted for the US from Europe but Porsche was definitely planning the GT3 for the US when the books were published. The "Product Information 911 GT3" dealer sales training book opens with "For the first time the 911 GT3 is available in the U.S."
Old 08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

You guys got books? I've been asking but so far my less-than-proactive sales guy has come up with nada. Now that I have these titles I'm going to call and bug him again.

Karl
Old 08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Karl,

The "Product Information 911 GT3" book is a "confidential" dealer briefing book. You might have better luck bugging the Porsche sales manager at your dealership.

The "911 GT3, Passion for Motorsport" book is the small format book brochure for the GT3. The dealer should have received at least one for every GT3 allocation they got so bug your sales guy for that one.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:55 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally posted by Karl S
You guys got books? I've been asking but so far my less-than-proactive sales guy has come up with nada. Now that I have these titles I'm going to call and bug him again.

Karl
I just inquired and I got a book and a nice silver key chain
Old 08-18-2003, 12:17 PM
musicmovesme
Advanced

I've got to believe the amount of torture you have to put your car through to get those numbers is not worth it. Just dig your foot into it and enjoy.

Quick Reply: GT3 - About to pull the trigger