Anyone run BFG R1S in 315 30 18?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FF

My car may be similar to yours: stock wing, 700/900, and Moton CS pretty soft.

With 34/34 the R1S has worked well for me. In cooler conditions the rear seemed a little loose even at 35 psi - especially T6 at Tremblant.

The tires work better at a lower tread temp -they're autocross tires after all - and I suspect it's easy to overheat them on hot track days, especially with full sun.

On balance I like them.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Dave, that's what I expected going in, but...

Yeah, Tremblant T6 is exactly the type of turn where I struggle, the long, early-power sweepers. It just feels as though the rear end will step out at any time, and it has at Mosport. If nothing else, it'll help me work on my car control skills.

I've been shooting for 38 hot on all my tires since Hoosier told me that that is what was needed so that the R6 would not delaminate. Maybe I should try lower pressures.

New Nittos are squirmy, but they are noisy and progressive, these just "feel" like they will bite you; feels to me as if the sidewall was "too" soft.

Anyway, I'll keep trying. Going to Tremblant next week.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Francois, see you at the RSR event on August 22.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dave-C2
Hi Francois, see you at the RSR event on August 22.
No I have a wedding that weekend. Will be at the BMW club race on Mon, Tues 18, 19.

Signed up for the Chin WGI on 1, 2 Sept, and the NNJR event on 15, 16.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Great to hear. Please let us know how they do after the 3 days. Where will they be?
Originally Posted by FFaust
^^ Interesting John, I'm not having the same success so far, but am still hopeful. https://rennlist.com/forums/11567837-post16.html

What pressures are you running?
Spring rates?
Shocks?
Sways?

Now, I have put the stock wing back on and still have an interior so our cars are different, but I find them very loose. I don't understand...
Chuck, will be at WGI Aug 22-24.

Francois, I was running them at 38 hot. That's at the high end of their spec range I believe. I too would rather be on the higher side due to delamination concerns. Though I don't know if that should be a concern with these versus the Hoosiers.

Springs are 700/900
Shocks are at 210 psi canister, not sure at the moment the rebound/compression but somewhere in the middle.
Sways, mid front and one off full stiff rear. (WGI will be two off full rear)

Re fast sweepers, I do have the larger wing, the tires were looser than the yoke slicks I was running just before the R1S. Wish I had butt data on MT 6 but thats another story this year. However, with these I've found that if I up shift going into the faster sweepers and get to flat sooner than with the lower gear the car is more settled, even carrying more entry speed. But so far I have to say they provide good consistent grip over the 8 cycles I've had and don't get greasy at the end of a session when pushed hard throughout.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks John, that's pretty close to my setup. Oh well.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Reporting in on the R1S after the last three days on these tires. Going to the Glen I expected that I'd be changing these out after day one or two. I hadn't rotated sides when I'd first used them two days at T-bolt. After that event the left rear looked like it'd had much more wear than the right, which was expected. Before WGI I rotated sides. Over the three days, I did 21 session, the last was 40 minutes.

On the first day I equaled by pb from last year which was on Michelin slicks. So not bad; though I wouldn't credit that all to the tires; part was having a good chase car (thanks Chris) and part was changing some shift points.

Day two I wasn't pushing them too hard; just wasn't feeling it so I was off my pb by a couple.

Day three first session I had a good chase and pass with a hard follow and came in with in a half a second of my pb on the last two laps of a 5 lap session. The next couple of session were like the second day just kind of chilling. But the last session I again had a nice chase (thanks Dave) hard follow and put together about 8 laps close to the pb, about a second or two off. That was the 21st session on these guys.

So not too bad. Through out it all I felt totally confident in them, no sudden slips; they felt planted. I wouldn't say they brake as well as slicks, but pretty close on cornering. I didn't have one oversteer moment. Maybe I should have been pushing harder.

Here's the cherry on the top; after checking them out when I got back home I think they still have a day or two on them. Comparing the work they've done to the hoosiers; hoosiers are usually done by the 16th cycle for me either too loose or corded.

YMMV

Cheers
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Edit: Over the 5 days so far I've done 21 sessions on them.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang. I get four or five and then they're gone.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Either I'm lucky or I'm slow. Maybe both!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for the info. Very useful!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Well, I have to say that they are growing on me. It seems that I am getting the hang of them.

Did two days at Tremblant last week and, despite not breaking any records, they felt comfortable and I was able to lean on them. And no wear to speak of. Brought the hot temps down to 35ish.

WGI next week will be interesting.

To be continued...
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Well, I have to say that they are growing on me. It seems that I am getting the hang of them.

Did two days at Tremblant last week and, despite not breaking any records, they felt comfortable and I was able to lean on them. And no wear to speak of. Brought the hot temps down to 35ish.

WGI next week will be interesting.

To be continued...

Good reading
Let us know
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnPG
Reporting in on the R1S after the last three days on these tires. Going to the Glen I expected that I'd be changing these out after day one or two. I hadn't rotated sides when I'd first used them two days at T-bolt. After that event the left rear looked like it'd had much more wear than the right, which was expected. Before WGI I rotated sides. Over the three days, I did 21 session, the last was 40 minutes.

On the first day I equaled by pb from last year which was on Michelin slicks. So not bad; though I wouldn't credit that all to the tires; part was having a good chase car (thanks Chris) and part was changing some shift points.

Day two I wasn't pushing them too hard; just wasn't feeling it so I was off my pb by a couple.

Day three first session I had a good chase and pass with a hard follow and came in with in a half a second of my pb on the last two laps of a 5 lap session. The next couple of session were like the second day just kind of chilling. But the last session I again had a nice chase (thanks Dave) hard follow and put together about 8 laps close to the pb, about a second or two off. That was the 21st session on these guys.

So not too bad. Through out it all I felt totally confident in them, no sudden slips; they felt planted. I wouldn't say they brake as well as slicks, but pretty close on cornering. I didn't have one oversteer moment. Maybe I should have been pushing harder.

Here's the cherry on the top; after checking them out when I got back home I think they still have a day or two on them. Comparing the work they've done to the hoosiers; hoosiers are usually done by the 16th cycle for me either too loose or corded.

YMMV

Cheers
what were the ambient temps that weekend? did you ever feel there got too hot/greasy and had to back down a lap or two and then go at it hard again?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Originally Posted by Pete
what were the ambient temps that weekend? did you ever feel there got too hot/greasy and had to back down a lap or two and then go at it hard again?
Pete,

Temps for Friday and Saturday were 60-70 heavily overcast. Sunday morning was 60 no clouds and steady climbed to 80. Most sessions were only 21 minutes and I usually try to come up to temp over 2 laps so I wasn't overheating them, though I was bringing them up to temp/pressure of 38-39 starting at 31 cold in the rear and 32 cold in the front each morning. I did one 40 minute session, the last, and was pushing pretty hard throughout; 2:06 to 2:08 a few higher due to traffic and throughout they felt pretty good; not bad for the 21st session. Not bad for a DE tire.

As mentioned, I was very surprised after day one at WGI and day two that I could still use them. Good tread left, may have a day or two left. WGI didn't seem to wear them as much at T-bolt, which has a few slow grinders; T5 and the octopus.

Quick Reply: Anyone run BFG R1S in 315 30 18?