Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Level - Dipstick or Computer Readout?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 PM
B Fett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Level - Dipstick or Computer Readout?

Are you guys going by the Dipstick or Computer Readout to determine your Engine Oil Level?

I am old school, and like to see where the oil level is physically on the dipstick. Right now my dipstick is reading a little below the halfway point, I am reading between the 2 metal "bulbs", so I am assuming I am reading it right.

My Computer readout says my oil is completely full, with all bars present on the bar gauge.

It has been like this for a few weeks.

What are you guys using to determine oil level? Where do you like to run your oil level?

I have a 2004 996 GT3 BTW.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 69 Posts

I've always trusted the computer over the dipstick. I would think it would be more accurate.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Ditto Especially with new oil, which I'm never sure what I'm actually seeing on the dipstick. More comfort with the computer.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:02 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I use both and yes, it is hard to see the oil on the dipstick.

Do not overfill !
Old 08-28-2017, 05:45 PM
507fan
Track Day

B Fett, did you ever resolve this issue or get an explanation as to why it was occurring?
Asking as I am having a similar issue. Digital dash gauge is reading full while the dipstick is reading just above minimum.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

if the 996 oil tank level sensor is anything like the one on my 993, it may require "calibration" by bending the float arm to match what the dipstick indicates.

I trust the stick over the electrons.

Craig
Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

When I'm 1 "brick" from full on the computer, I'm at the bottom metal bulb on the dipstick.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:42 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Am I correct to assume you want to be 1/2 way on the dipstick "HOT" like the old cars? Sorry for the silly question, I've been relying on the dashboard readout for the most part in what's still a 'new' car to me.

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM
ssigarto
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Dip stick

I would trust the dip stick over the computer. I have seen too many situations where the computer is too slow to read and people get themselves into trouble by overfilling, especially on BMWs. First chance I have of my Pcar I will install an old fashioned dip stick. In my Pcar, the idle has to be just right for the computer to read the oil level, and I realize my car is a little different.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:50 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

I don't know about the other 996 GT3s, but I had a different experience. I had an 05 GT3 that I drove for 8 yrs before I moved on to newer GT cars; the dipstick on that car was useless, reading low and even close to zero even with sufficient lighting; the computer readout was always in the middle or a couple of degrees above the mid level. I changed oil (Mobil 1 0W40) and filter at least 16 times (every 6 months) on that car. Not once did the Porsche dealer found low oil volume when they drained the old oil; I called the PCNA and was told to rely on the computer readout.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dip stick, oil level sensors and PCNA

Originally Posted by aeGT3
I don't know about the other 996 GT3s, but I had a different experience. I had an 05 GT3 that I drove for 8 yrs before I moved on to newer GT cars; the dipstick on that car was useless, reading low and even close to zero even with sufficient lighting; the computer readout was always in the middle or a couple of degrees above the mid level. I changed oil (Mobil 1 0W40) and filter at least 16 times (every 6 months) on that car. Not once did the Porsche dealer found low oil volume when they drained the old oil; I called the PCNA and was told to rely on the computer readout.
[LIST]
  • How do you know the "the dipstick on that car was useless"?
  • What do you mean "close to zero". You must mean "minimum level"
  • When you say, "not once did the Porsche dealer found low oil volume..." do you mean that the dealer measured your car's oil drain volume?
  • Can we trust PCNA?
    Their answers are filtered to account for Corporate *** Covering. Sometimes the owners know better than the manufacturer of the cars.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pick on this one poster.

Dipstick vs Computer preferences/storys seem to be mixed on this thread.
BUT ALL THIS (good) INFORMATION IS ANECDOTAL

We need a scientific study and analysis of owner information

Dipstick Reading
Computer Reading
Oil drain volume

What are the chances that we can get 3 accurate pieces of information from a statistically significant number of owners? (I would have to go back to my college statistics textbook just to determine what a statistically significant number of owners would be.)

I volunteer to spreadsheet the data, if any.
(((Or maybe each of us need to calibrate our dipstick, literally, for each of our own cars by measureing the volume of our oil drains)))

((I'm actually kind of lucky. My dipstick and computer readout correlate within about 1/4 quart (assuming the minimum level indicates "one quart low")))))
Old 09-03-2017, 05:39 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default translation please

Originally Posted by powdrhound
When I'm 1 "brick" from full on the computer, I'm at the bottom metal bulb on the dipstick.
I had to read your post 3 times but I understand now.
Your computer is one notch from Maximum
Your dipstick is at minimum.
Correct???

Which one do you trust? Or do you just add a 1/4 quart and no more, in that situation?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
I volunteer to spreadsheet the data, if any.
(((Or maybe each of us need to calibrate our dipstick, literally, for each of our own cars by measureing the volume of our oil drains)))
if you are going to "calibrate" anything, I'd advise calibrating (adjusting) the tank level sensor.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
We need a scientific study and analysis of owner information

Dipstick Reading
Computer Reading
Oil drain volume
With a dry sump the 2nd most important variable when measuring oil volume in the tank is oil temperature. And with the gauge and dipstick both calibrated to a specific temperature range. The further you are away from that window, the more pronounced the difference between the two measurement methods.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

every day life must be a struggle for a few...............scientific study and analysis .....proves it here.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Level - Dipstick or Computer Readout?