Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Track or Club Banned Street GT3's?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any Track or Club Banned Street GT3's?...

Specifically cars that haven't addressed their epoxy coolant hose fitting issue by either pinning or welding? Has anyone heard of a club or track that taken a stand against this well known issue?

I witnessed a 6-GT3 blow a fitting yesterday at Streets of Willow leading a close pack of cars. About 6 went spinning off behind him and fortunately nobody shared paint but it was close. The cleanup was 30+ minutes and I'm just wondering if a any club or track has taken a stand against this well known GT3 issue.

Thanks....
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Kinda but no.

OVR PCA sends out notifications from time to time to make all of the owners aware of the issue. They strongly suggest all GT1 block cars that attend their track days have either pinned or welded fittings. However they will still allow those vehicles to run without the fix if they are using water only in their cooling system.

Doesn't necessarily prevent an incident from happening but at least makes cleanup much quicker.

OVR is the same group who had several cars damaged including one being totaled as the result of a popped fitting on a GT3 a couple years ago.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Specifically cars that haven't addressed their epoxy coolant hose fitting issue by either pinning or welding? Has anyone heard of a club or track that taken a stand against this well known issue?
Pretty lame that Porsche doesn't perform a fix of this issue on their dime (they eventually did this with the RMS on many cars).
Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

A friend of mine was told he could not run at Mosport because of this. I don't know if that came from the track, or the organization running the event. I believe it was a PCA DE.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UCR PCA requires the fittings to be pinned or welded. If not they will allow a car with wetter water. NNJR requires the car to be inspected by the dealer or a repair facility. Some make no reference.

Regardless IMHO I think it imperative for the owner to get the issue resolved either pinned or welded. This issue impacts the lives and property of others. Anybody that's been on this forum and others would know about it. Any shop worth it's salt will know about it. Forget all the legal stuff, if you know about it and you don't do anything and something happens to someone behind you because your car pukes on the track. Shame!!!

Just my .02
Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you John. The bigger shame though is that Porsche continues to ignore the issue. That to me is where the real accountability lies....
Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 AM
REALGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I agree with you John. The bigger shame though is that Porsche continues to ignore the issue. That to me is where the real accountability lies....
Any new status info on the NHTSA claim about this issue?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No updates to the sticky thread on the board...
Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

what a surprise !! Porsche says no coolant will reach the road surface. lol. Celebration of speed will not allow non fixed Mezger engines. As Andy said- I believe Ohio PCA had taken a position. I don't believe NNJR has such a position. Even one of their Chiefs has not done the fix I believe. There is no way to "check" them. Still ongoing investigation by NHTSA. such nonsense

Last edited by Gofishracing; 11-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

I witnessed a 6-GT3 blow a fitting yesterday at Streets of Willow leading a close pack of cars. About 6 went spinning off behind him and fortunately nobody shared paint but it was close. The cleanup was 30+ minutes and I'm just wondering if a any club or track has taken a stand against this well known GT3 issue.

Thanks....
I do not know of any Club local to me (tri-state area) that has "banned" a GT1 blocked car (which includes the 997 iterations altho you've not posted there as well) without proof of fixed fittings...

That said, the issue is "known" and the Clubs expect the "experienced drovers" (read: greater than a hand full of track days and definitely soloed drivers) to do/have done the right thing...

I'd hate to be "that guy" in the paddock that causes an issue by ignorance or, worse, 'cheap a**edness'. So, John's "shame" is spot on....

Anyhoo, the DE community is small and all is known or will be ....
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The $3K to fix by welding is a lot cheaper than even touching one corner of the car against something.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Been there and done that. Fortunately had Water Wetter and not a train of cars behind me. Was in the back of my mind since purchasing this car and nice to know it's fixed now.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 AM
ewj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I got my lines welded as a preventative measure. I was about 5 cars behind the 996GT3 that dumped the coolant causing a bunch of cars to skid off track.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep- if someone cheaps out and doesn't fix it and causes damages- that's the issue. Waiver or not . Those that don't fix them are probably the same that will say it's not their problem. they signed a waiver. BS
Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

One problem I've seen is that a lot of new drivers DON'T know about this. Seriously, unless your on this board, or hang out with a bunch of gt3 track junkies, you'd probably never know. I honestly had no idea until I read a thread on here....haven't gotten it done, but our car has not see the track since we bought it.

Met 2 new gt3 owners at a DEs this year who had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned this....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Any Track or Club Banned Street GT3's?...