Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Often Are You Revalving Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 102 Posts
Default How Often Are You Revalving Shocks?

I've had them done once on my car already, curious on average how often mileage wise are you guys having them done by sending back to Bilstein?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you mean rebuild. Revalving is not necessary unless you change spring rates or are looking to alter performance. Race shocks are usually rebuilt ( change seals and fluid , minimum ) at least once a year. On a GT3(Bistein) , depending on use, I don't see why you would need to touch them for two or three years.
Check for leaks and make sure the shock doesn't move freely without weight. Just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I think you mean rebuild. Revalving is not necessary unless you change spring rates or are looking to alter performance. Race shocks are usually rebuilt ( change seals and fluid , minimum ) at least once a year. On a GT3(Bistein) , depending on use, I don't see why you would need to touch them for two or three years.
Check for leaks and make sure the shock doesn't move freely without weight. Just my opinion.
My bad totally meant rebuild, thanks for the info above!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

+1
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After a little more than one season, my front dampers are toast. In their defence, I do drive that car to and from the track (and our roads a atrocious). That, or the bus stop at WGI.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
After a little more than one season, my front dampers are toast. In their defence, I do drive that car to and from the track (and our roads a atrocious). That, or the bus stop at WGI.
That's not normal. Are they Bilstein? Fresh rebuild or revalve? Stock springs? Are they leaking?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That's not normal. Are they Bilstein? Fresh rebuild or revalve? Stock springs? Are they leaking?
Bilstein, rebuilt at the start of 2012 and all stock. No sign of leaks but I'll take a closer look once it's all disassembled. Front left is dead, front right hasn't been inspected yet.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

If you dont mind me adding on....

Who are you re-valving with?

I tried Hairy Dog but despite calls and emails no one there seems interested in returning contact re their 6GT3 're-valve/spring' package ..

I've also heard some negative things on Bilstein direct re timing and turn around .. If someone has had recent exp on turn around times, etc, pls let me know.

Thoughts/recs?? I think i'd like to first re-valve/match springs before going to adjustables simply to get to know the car a bit more before jumping in $$$ wise (without the background/basics) ...
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cello
If you dont mind me adding on....

Who are you re-valving with?

I tried Hairy Dog but despite calls and emails no one there seems interested in returning contact re their 6GT3 're-valve/spring' package ..

I've also heard some negative things on Bilstein direct re timing and turn around .. If someone has had recent exp on turn around times, etc, pls let me know.

Thoughts/recs?? I think i'd like to first re-valve/match springs before going to adjustables simply to get to know the car a bit more before jumping in $$$ wise (without the background/basics) ...
I sent them to Bilstein. It took a few weeks without rush service.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Cello, I had my shocks done at the place you mentioned and the car felt much better. They usually have an extra set on-hand so no waiting. Otherwise, it is a luck of the drawl of when you get your shocks back from Bilstein.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

I sent them to Bilstein. It took a few weeks without rush service.
Thanks for the data point.

Still, I really would like a re-valve/spring rate symbiotic package as it takes away a variable/guesstimate assuming the Shop knows what they are doing; i.e., agree with the thoughts here generally: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...bilsteins.html

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Cello, I had my shocks done at the place you mentioned and the car felt much better. They usually have an extra set on-hand so no waiting. Otherwise, it is a luck of the drawl of when you get your shocks back from Bilstein.
Lucky for you rodneyr, you live nearby (and in a great place) .. I, for whatever reason, cannot get anyone there interested in talking to me re same and cannot 'stop by'/do a face-to-face....

If you don't mind me asking, what spring rates did they rec for you F/R ?? TIA!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:36 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 118 Posts

Cello I can say I have never done business with Dan Jacobs aka hairy dog but every time I call with questions they never have a problem answering. I had Dan call me back a few times on some serious questions I had and even asked about the revalved gt3 stuff and they said they try to always have at least one set on hand.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cello
Thanks for the data point.

Still, I really would like a re-valve/spring rate symbiotic package as it takes away a variable/guesstimate assuming the Shop knows what they are doing; i.e., agree with the thoughts here generally: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...bilsteins.html

Lucky for you rodneyr, you live nearby (and in a great place) .. I, for whatever reason, cannot get anyone there interested in talking to me re same and cannot 'stop by'/do a face-to-face....

If you don't mind me asking, what spring rates did they rec for you F/R ?? TIA!
If you specify your spring rates, Bilstein will valve the dampers accordingly.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blockhed
Cello I can say I have never done business with Dan Jacobs aka hairy dog but every time I call with questions they never have a problem answering. I had Dan call me back a few times on some serious questions I had and even asked about the revalved gt3 stuff and they said they try to always have at least one set on hand.
Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about them so I think I've just fallen thru the cracks and prob called/contacted them at bad times (ie, before a major DE or CR event or the like when they are jammed)..

If you specify your spring rates, Bilstein will valve the dampers accordingly.
Thats what I've heard too. I might start another thread on spring rates as I think that is where the 'knowledge' of the Shop(s) comes in - how best to set up the car for your predominant track and your preferred driving style, etc... Be interesting as a data point to see what guys are using and what tracks they mostly run...
Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I chatted w/ Dan a couple of months ago at the track and I remember that he mentioned that someone didn't return the core to them. So I wonder if that's the reason why they are not getting back to you regarding the shock/spring package.

Quick Reply: How Often Are You Revalving Shocks?