Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photos and Track Testing of New Joe Toth 2-Piece Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 AM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a Joe Toth 2 piece on my new to me 04GT3.

Most of what I have been doing to the car is basic must do maintenance/safety but it didn't have any spoiler/splitter so I allowed my self a little bling here.

I did something similar to Ian and installed blind nuts in on the bumper cover and screwed the main part to that.

With the dam/spoiler only it seems similar to other pictures I've seen except obviously for the holes for the lower splitter.

With the lower splitter on it all looks very "racey".

Joe was a pleasure to real with via emails and calls. He asked that I make some measurments as he put it "you guys all run different ride heights". He trimmed everything so I have 3" clearance with the lower splitter on.

There's no point on asking me how it has changed/improved handling...I a total noobie, I have no reference point with this car, plus I have yet to get out on a track this season.

Jim
Old 10-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Feedback on the 2-piece splitter. No affiliation, just a consumer with product feedback from experience in usage.

I was FINALLY able to use the 2-piece splitter this last weekend at MSRH. The design for my use "driving to/fro the track" was outstanding. The upper base part of the splitter gives enough clearance that I can use the car on a daily basis and not worry about ripping it off. I was able to put the bottom "blade" part of the splitter in the car (it fits) than drive down to the track. Once there, install the bottom blade part with the 7 dzus fasteners and away you go. Once the day is over, take the bottom blade off the car put back in the car with me and drive home. Easy peasy. This would also be helpful for they guys that trailer their cars as well, take the bottom blade part off for the loading and unloading off the trailer.

Function: At MSRH there are only 3 or 4 corners where it could aerodynamically help and in these these corners I could feel the difference. A 1 mph to possibly 2 mph increase in speed. Above that though, the feel in these corners felt a little different in the steering wheel than before. The feeling (at least in my perception) of more frontal grip.

All in all, I am very happy with the product. I would def. recommend to any one tracking their 6GT3.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rovman, glad to hear you're happy with the two piece splitter. One question I have. The speed increase, was that over the one piece splitter you were using and when you went to that from the cup piece was there a similar improvement? If my assumption is correct then it's quite an increase over the factory part.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

That is correct Joe. Much improvement over the stock cup piece.

There is an improvement in the 2-piece to the 1-piece but much smaller, when compared between the cup piece to the 2-piece. The perceivable advantage the 2-piece has over your 1-piece is the splitter protrudes forward a little more over the 1-piece. Making the 2-piece just a bit more effective. Works very well. I will be at COTA in November, looking forward to feeling her out there at a much faster track where the splitter could be more beneficial.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Any data on mph loss in a straight line. I realize splitters are fairly effective at not adding a ton of drag but is there mph loss with the big splitter?

I know other threads on the dive planes guys have stated they are running the standard ones on high speed tracks because of mph loss
Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

This should be pretty aero neutral, just ensuring the the downforce is always there and consistent on the front end. I might just have to add this once the new coilovers go in.

Any thoughts about adding a diffuser setup to this on the leading edge of the front wheel opening, like a new GT3 or Z06 have. Once again these are supposed to be somewhat aero neutral while proving front end stability and some downforce. With the addition lip this splitter provides around the side of the bumper, it would fit aesthically and add additional function.

Love what you have done here.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Any data on mph loss in a straight line. I realize splitters are fairly effective at not adding a ton of drag but is there mph loss with the big splitter?

I know other threads on the dive planes guys have stated they are running the standard ones on high speed tracks because of mph loss
Honestly, I didn't experience slower speeds in the straights at all. Actually the speeds in the straights were faster as I was exiting certain corners faster which turned into faster speeds in the straights.

I don't think the splitter creates much drag, at least none that hurt my 400+ HP 6GT3. That's with the splitter and a 4 degree shim under an RS rear wing.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:33 PM
JGB
Instructor

Default End of Season update

So after 8 track days and 10 autocrosses here is what the dam/splitter look like.

Notes: 1 track day at the Tofino airport had dip right where I braked and the splitter touched there.

At the Ridge depending on what line and where I braked for turn 7 there is a big dip / compression and the splitter touched there.

I had a major brain fart at Turn 13 at the Ridge and was 1 set of cones late in braking. Rather than trying to make the turn and going down the hill backwards I went full agricultural into the gravel for 10-20 yards. When I got back to the pits I was amazed the splitter (well most of it) was still there.

Used the splitter once at an autocross. It's great for keeping cones from underneath the car. Our facility is far from flat and at one place there is a major bump. The splitter took a beating there and even just the dam touches.

The dam is good out of my drive way but often touches coming out of gas stations.

So it's not pretty anymore but since I have what is possibly one of the most beat looking GT3 it kind of matches now.

Jim
Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by JGB
So it's not pretty anymore but since I have what is possibly one of the most beat looking GT3 it kind of matches now.
Looks perfect, keep driving it!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Wow nice battle scars. Mine still looks pristine.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM
JGB
Instructor

Originally Posted by IanM
Wow nice battle scars. Mine still looks pristine.
Hi Ian,
That's probably because you're much better at keeping on the flat hard stuff instead of going cross country like me

Also if you've been doing autox at Pitt Meadows it's much flatter than banging around Western Speedway like we have to do.

Did you get out to the Ridge this year? I did 4 days, 1xTurn 2, 2x PCA and 1xAudi Club. Best time on the last day was 2:00.000 according to HLT. Did 3 days at Mission and was ~6-7 seconds faster than with the 993. Best was a 1:18.7 in June. Had a code brown spin at turn 9 during the second session on the last day in Sept and still managed to trundle around the rest of the day in the 1:23s. Not sure if I'm ever going back to Mission as the costs and travel for the Ridge are the same for me.

Thanks again for the info on the shocks earlier this year.

Jim

Last edited by JGB; 10-24-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JGB
Did you get out to the Ridge this year? I did 4 days, 1xTurn 2, 2x PCA and 1xAudi Club. Best time on the last day was 2:00.000 according to HLT. Did 3 days at Mission and was ~6-7 seconds faster than with the 993. Best was a 1:18.7 in June. Had a code brown spin at turn 9 during the second session on the last day in Sept and still managed to trundle around the rest of the day in the 1:23s. Not sure if I'm ever going back to Mission as the costs and travel for the Ridge are the same for me.
Jim, you picked up a lot of speed! As far as I know, we never ended up overlapping at the Ridge. Too bad. I never went off at 13, but the times I got close to it, I definitely didn't see a route that didn't involve some big rocks, so your splitter held up remarkably well from that.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:36 AM
JGB
Instructor

Hi Charles,
The Turn 13 episode was a classic chain of events that shouldn't have happened. It was the second of 2 hot days, last session, my instructor for the day had to leave a little early, new instructor was quiet different in style, chatty, and different lines. The smart thing to do would have been not go out at all but..."Gang aft agley". I simply didn't hit the brakes until the second set of braking cones and that just wasn't gonna work. No more back to back days for me, I'm to old and to fat/out of shape.

You gonna turn the E30 into a Pro3 car? Big fields around here, I saw several at the track days doing testing etc.

Jim
Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Hi Jim,
Glad you're enjoying your car. I did 8 days at ORP this year. Didn't get to the Ridge or anywhere else. I do like the Ridge, will get back there next year. A spin at Mission T9 can end in tears, I'm glad to hear you and your car were unscathed. Hope to see you at the track!

Last edited by IanM; 10-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:00 PM
JGB
Instructor

Originally Posted by IanM
Hi Jim,
Glad you're enjoying your car. I did 8 days at ORP this year. Didn't get to the Ridge or anywhere else. I do like the Ridge, will get back there next year. A spin at Mission T9 can end in tears, I'm glad to hear you and your car were unscathed. Hope to see you at the track!
Wow 8 days at ORP. Even given you're on the mainland and not a victim of BC Ferries that's still at least 8 travel days or as much as 16. Got to like it. I'm thinking 1 or 2 days at ORP next year. Who are you running with at ORP?

The T9 "event" was "interesting". To soon on the gas, pinch just a little bit, rear drifts out to the right, I'm looking at the left wall, hind brain kicks in and...I lift ...snap spin back to left, both feet in, I turtle waiting for the crunch, 360 * later stop pointing the right way down the track about 1 meter from the right wall. Back in the pits everyone saying "we thought you were going to hit"...me too. Rest of the day spent unwinding very carefully and getting on to full throttle 100+ meters down the straight. Which of course ruins your lap times at Mission. Oh well it's not like we're winning any races

Jim

Quick Reply: Photos and Track Testing of New Joe Toth 2-Piece Splitter